What's new

Tools for sheet metal bending besides a sheet metal brake

1Sinner

Just won't quit
CAL4
Member Number
Loc
Edwards Commiefornia
So, I'm getting ready to start the panels and parts for the aluminum hard top on my stretched cj6 build. I have a 48" brake, but its about 3 feet short for some of the edge bends and the complex bends. Ive found a couple cool tools like the WUKO stuff. But damn is it pricy.

Wuko Anniversary Set 2204/2050/4040 - Stortz & Son Inc.

Anyone have any alternatives for edge forming besides clamping long angle iron and making my own brake, or good old hammer and dolly techniques? I have a full hard top to build (6 inches longer than a factory cj6) and a full set of aluminum hard doors. And yes, I know I'm insane for doing this on something that will see trail use.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240402_143912_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240402_143912_Chrome.jpg
    535.9 KB · Views: 50
Understood. Having a removable table on a powered beadroller is helpful. When I win the lottery I am going to get one of those magnetic brakes.

Understood. Having a removable table on a powered beadroller is helpful. When I win the lottery I am going to get one of those magnetic brakes.
I suppose I could build a large adjustable height table for the bead roller to help manage that portion, but if someone knows the alternatives to the WUKO setups, or another hand flange bender I would be grateful. Would give me a bunch more options.

Can you use a siding brake if you're careful? :laughing:

Buy used and resell when done.

There are some hemming tools out there but a brake is most efficient.
Hemming dies are also available for bead rollers. I would think a nice electric bead roller would be the ticket.

There are some hemming tools out there but a brake is most efficient.
Hemming dies are also available for bead rollers. I would think a nice electric bead roller would be the ticket.
I have a 37 inch powered bead roller. Really hard to handle large panels by myself and maintain flatness, if that's the way, I'll likely make a height adjustable table and call for reinforcements, bit you guys should check out some videos on those wuko setups, they're pretty sweet. I'm leaning that direction, but hoping for alternatives or knock offs due to cost and minimal use. At least for now.

Top Back Refresh