What's new

Tool recommendation: Exhaust cutter

89Breaker

Around
Member Number
Doing exhaust work and buying the chain cutter and hanger remover.

Any recommendations to avoid specific brands?

Seems like an area where crappy knockoffs are common.

Yes, local parts place loans them but only for two days. This is my first exhaust work and I’m probably going to need more than a few days since this is after hours wrenching.

I use an compressed air powered die grinder with a real thin 3-4" cut off blade, has worked well in the past.

Sawzall, angle grinder, and welder is all you really need. Portaband table makes cutting up U-bends nice but that can be done with just about anything.

I've built a ton of exhaust systems and I don't even know what a chain cutter and a hanger remover is. Are you talking about the factory rubber hangers like this? Set of channel locks takes care of those pretty quick

1695210449192.png

I've built a ton of exhaust systems and I don't even know what a chain cutter and a hanger remover is. Are you talking about the factory rubber hangers like this? Set of channel locks takes care of those pretty quick

He's talking about shit like this. They're actually pretty handy for tight spaces.

Screen Shot 2023-09-20 at 7.56.44 AM.png

They're all cheap chinese garbage but my cheap chiniese garbage ones work well enough the rare occasions I have to use them. Just buy whatever pair is cheap.

my brother bought a chain cutter on amazon, worked fine.
how often are you really using it is the question? The chinese one seems fine for the one time job.

the chain cutter I can see and justify, probably save it's value in cutoff disks/saw blades

still don't understand the other thing :laughing:
The exhaust hanger remover is great for when they jammed one up in some dumb place where you can't get room to use a prying tool.

I've used the cutter maybe five times and always for shit on the bench. :laughing:

The exhaust hanger remover is great for when they jammed one up in some dumb place where you can't get room to use a prying tool.

I've used the cutter maybe five times and always for shit on the bench. :laughing:
ah, i was thinking they were all bench tools :laughing:

sawzall for anything underneath, fuck all that other shit :rasta:

ah, i was thinking they were all bench tools :laughing:

I don't know.
previously we were sawzall kinds of people, but I was on the phone with him while he was cutting pipes under a truck and it was done in like 30 seconds with no effort and a straight cut.

I don't know.
previously we were sawzall kinds of people, but I was on the phone with him while he was cutting pipes under a truck and it was done in like 30 seconds with no effort and a straight cut.
i'm still not sure how the hook and flat tool is supposed to cut the hangers off though :confused:

I have the Gearwrench brand chain cutter that I have used a few times. No complaints with it, it has held up well.

Is Gearwrench a good DIYer brand?

I’m tired of paying top dollar for garage work. The last tool I purchased was from Oreillys.

Can usually see a perfect outline of the vehicle on the ground (made of rust) after using a sawzall. Two big lines where the frame is, the outline of the body, and shaded in quite well.

I'd rather use anything that doesn't shake all that shit off on me.

Finished the exhaust, welded the seams, and have a question on welding the connections.

I welded at least 90% of the various connections but probably have a few areas I couldn't 100% verify.
The parts I played with are under the bed of the truck and THINK the seams are good.
I really don't want to buy the various clamps, no logical reason beyond cheap.

So am I going to die from exhaust leak poisoning?

Well yes, you could die from co poisioning, was even a method of choice sometime ago.

The hanger tool looks handy, fuck the chain cutters unless youre working with extremely thin walled garbage.

Well yes, you could die from co poisioning, was even a method of choice sometime ago.

The hanger tool looks handy, fuck the chain cutters unless youre working with extremely thin walled garbage.

I skipped both tools and used my grinder, sawzall, and channel locks with PB blaster on the isolator.

Top Back Refresh