What's new

Too cold to charge: Chicago becomes Tesla graveyard from the cold weather

ToughBowtieTruck

Nothing like owning the same truck twice.
Member Number
Loc
Michigan

Desperate Tesla owners in and around Chicago were seen trying to charge their vehicles with no luck amid frigid temperatures that have gripped the Midwest.

Charging stations have essentially turned into car graveyards in recent days as temperatures have dropped to the negative double digits, Fox Chicago reported.
Originally Published by:
Fox Business

“Nothing. No juice. Still on zero percent,” Tyler Beard, who had been trying to recharge his Tesla at an Oak Brook, Illinois Tesla supercharging station since Sunday afternoon, told the news outlet. “And this is like three hours being out here after being out here three hours yesterday.”

Beard and several other Tesla owners were trying to charge their cars amid long lines and abandoned cars at other Tesla charging stations in the Chicago area, the news station reported.

“This is crazy. It’s a disaster. Seriously,” said Tesla owner Chalis Mizelle.

Mizelle said she abandoned her car and got a ride from a friend after hers would not charge.

“We got a bunch of dead robots out here,” one man said.

Kevin Sumrak told the Fox station that he landed Sunday night at Chicago O’Hare International Airport and found his Tesla dead and unable to start.

He was forced to hire a flatbed tow truck to haul the vehicle to a working charging station.

One expert told the news outlet that cold weather can impact the ability of electric vehicles to charge properly.

“It’s not plug and go. You have to precondition the battery, meaning that you have to get the battery up to the optimal temperature to accept a fast charge,” said Mark Bilek of the Chicago Auto Trade Association.

FOX Business has reached out to Tesla, but has not yet heard back.

Not sure how all the Teslas manage to run in Norway. Tesla is the 4th most sold car there.

200.gif
200.gif

Awesome! :laughing:

Recently on the news I heard about alberta having "grid alerts" sent out asking people to reduce electricity usage because cold out and heaters.
But don't worry folks, the infrastructure is fine to also handle charging every car after 2035.

Oak Brook is the exact perfect place for that to happen. It's full of mid 6figure earning liberal yuppies, the exact pond scum Arse is always ranting about. So these are the perfect people to experience a government driven grid collapsed in real time and have it directly effect them. They are the class of people who generally don't get affected by any of the hardships "normal" people do, as they have jobs that are almost recession proof and have enough income to ride them out and don't see the direct results of their dumbass thinking. So it's great they are seeing this and maybe this will change the way they think. I doubt it because both liberals and conservatives in Illinois are retards of the highest caliber, but you never know. One for continually voting for the same dumb ass polices that create the problems, the other for willingly staying there and paying into the machine.

In before some downstairs corrects me and says Chicago, and no you down staters are equally retarded.

who was the guy here who bought the Rivian that lived in wi? I wonder how it’s charging this week in sub zero weather?

Probably just needs some ether to get started. Cycle the glow plugs.

This has been blasted out on social media, only talking about tesla. What about other companies electric cars? How are they doing.

Feel like this is an attack on Elon and putting tesla in your headlines makes great hupla

Probably just needs some ether to get started. Cycle the glow plugs.

This has been blasted out on social media, only talking about tesla. What about other companies electric cars? How are they doing.

Feel like this is an attack on Elon and putting tesla in your headlines makes great hupla
Again, like I said, Teslas are all over Norway. How can they be fine near the Arctic Circle but not here?
My guess is propaganda since our government hates Musk.

Was in Chicago region monday and tuesday, I am thinking it was tesla owners who do not have charging stations at home, let the charge get too low and rely on the tesla station.
Saw plenty of teslas on the road.

Was in Chicago region monday and tuesday, I am thinking it was tesla owners who do not have charging stations at home, let the charge get too low and rely on the tesla station.

This is exactly it. I've seen far more gas cars either not starting, or having issues on the side of the road than tesla not charging. This is getting way too much press for a handful of morons who fucked up.

These are appartment/condo dwellers who rely on charging centers and failed to realize that things like heaters drain your already weak cold battery even quicker. Several people I work with drive teslas, and even more with other electric cars, and other than a shortened range, they have had zero issues.

Since the batteries have to be warm enough to TAKE a charge I imagine these things are stuck in a cycle of too cold to USE power then too cold to TAKE a charge.

Catch 22 I guess.

No different than all the diesel vehicles that are sitting gelled up because people weren't prepared. :homer:

It was -30 up here and my coworker drove his Tesla every day to work. Like the story said, fast charging has certain requirements. If you just go plug it into a basic slow charger then you should be fine in the cold. Plan ahead and know the limitations of your vehicle. My coworkers brother used his Mach-E to power his house while they were waiting for the power company to get things going last week. These cars can be handy if you aren't an idiot. :flipoff2:

Top Back Refresh