What's new

Tonsillectomy as an adult. Who’s done it?

Damn! Having had both of those procedures done separately, I can’t imagine at the same time! Much respect to your wife! She tough!!

She is a tough cookie. She would not recommend doing both at the same time, just worked out that way for her.

Her biggest suggestion when I asked her about this thread was to make sure you drink water and do everything you can to prevent the scabs from coming off early in your throat because the wounds will have to be recauterized and restart the healing process.

When I was a kid I used get strep throat every year once or twice at least. Dr's told my parents I was too young to have them removed.

Strep continued through my teen years, eventually the Drs told me I did not get sick enough to warrant the removal. Then they told me I was too old.

Then in my mid 20s I was on a honeymoon in Kuai and got an abscessed tonsil, serious pain but not all the other symptoms. Went to a Dr on the island and gave him my history, he told me to go to an Ear, Nose, & Throat Dr and they'd remove them. For a few years after that I started getting an abscessed tonsil a time or 2 a year. I decided enough was enough and used the insurance to get them out. I think I was 34. My tonsils were severely scarred from all of the BS over the years. That means scar tissue, lots of cutting and cauterizing durning the surgery.

Recovery sucked ass, spent 10 days sleeping as much as I could, knocked out on drugs. Could only eat soft foods and only when on the good stuff. I think it was day 8 that was the worst. When the sloughing started, they told me to expect it. They were right, true misery. By day 12 or so I was starting to feel better.

They told me I could eat all the jello and ice cream I wanted. I got sick of jello by day 3, ice cream was too painful. For some reason what sounded good to me was grits with fried eggs in them, had never eaten it before but it became the only thing I could stomach and I still like my grits this way now.

I would not want to go through it again but it was worth it, I am healthier now than ever (47), I rarely get sick and when I do it is usually just a day or 2 of not feeling well, compared to a full week of being bed ridden. For a long time things tasted different than they did before and every once in awhile I can still get the sensation of something tasting weird but it goes away in time.

I was tired of mashed potatoes and jello pretty quickly. Scrambled eggs with cheese were a savior. I also drank a ton of water and electrolyte drinks to stay hydrated. Don’t let your throat dry out, even when sleeping.

Also, keep up on the meds. They did Tylenol and ibuprofen every 4 hours for at least a week. They don’t give out the strong stuff anymore.

Top Back Refresh