What's new

Todays dumbas question is. .....

total newb

senior jerk ass
Member Number
Loc
trinity center ca
Will a ttb bolt into a 2wd superduty? 98-04

Saw a pretty clean low/stock stance 2wd drw single cab superduty and thought to myself, self, what would be the cheapest and easiest way to make that 4wd using the stuff i have?

If the goal is a low 4wd, I think you'd be farther ahead using a coil spring straight axle or using the front half of an A-arm truck. Maybe a GM 2500/3500 or doing a frame chop on a 2004+ F150?

The Autofab setup looks like a cut and turn Dana 44 driver side beam. The Dana 50 driver side beam is much shorter, length wise it would be much closer with a Dana 44 beam.

This one was supposedly built by Spirit Racing:

https://www.race-dezert.com/forum/th.../#post-1236668
https://www.dezertrangers.com/thread.../#post-3941277

Lowered Chevy 2500
https://www.performancetrucks.net/f...49/lowered-1500hd-2500-qs-551762/#post5434747

Last edited:
Also to add, the F250 and F350 still use beams for the 2wd drive trucks, both SRW and DRW. The F450+ F53 and F59 chassis gets the solid axle 2wd.

I think your time is more valuable than that

there was a build somewhere else that verified that an early 2wd super duty would take a coil 05+ d60, it was a bust rivets and drill new holes build

half of the needed holes were there, so everything lined up

A front leaf d50/d60 or a pair of coil 05 axles is all that really makes sense

it seems there's some interest in ttb parts these days between the desert crowd and the E van builds, don't overlook the value of what you've got

Had the ttb posted on fb $200 complete. Not a peep.
offered the outer parts to wfo to trade for a gm short shaft, did not want.

Some one else has one posted for $700. I couldnt even trade the $ parts away.

I was just curious if it was a bolt in deal or not. Obviously not.

I have a 99f350 4x so im not actively pursuing it.

Will a ttb bolt into a 2wd superduty? 98-04

A D44 coil sprung TTB will. Track width is the same. Coils are in the same place, steering is all in the same place. Do yourself a favor and use the 99-04 2wd radius arms. They are longer (better handling/travel) and stronger. I've laid the beams side by side on the ground and they're the same length but I'm not 100% sure the pivot points are in the exact same vertical location relative to the knuckle so worst case you need to fuck around drilling a second set of holes in the crossmember bracket.

That will net you 5-lug up front but knowing you you probably have the 80s Chevy stuff to do the 8-lug conversion just lying around rusting somewhere. If your goal is to sell the truck I would weld up the hubs from both ends, re-drill for 6x6.5 and find the cheapest trophy truck wheels you can to toss on it.

A D50 TTB will obviously not bolt in for reasons that should be apparent.

Last edited:
A D44 coil sprung TTB will. Track width is the same. Coils are in the same place, steering is all in the same place. Do yourself a favor and use the 99-04 2wd radius arms. They are longer (better handling/travel) and stronger. I've laid the beams side by side on the ground and they're the same length but I'm not 100% sure the pivot points are in the exact same vertical location relative to the knuckle so worst case you need to fuck around drilling a second set of holes in the crossmember bracket.

That will net you 5-lug up front but knowing you you probably have the 80s Chevy stuff to do the 8-lug conversion just lying around rusting somewhere. If your goal is to sell the truck I would weld up the hubs from both ends, re-drill for 6x6.5 and find the cheapest trophy truck wheels you can to toss on it.

A D50 TTB will obviously not bolt in for reasons that should be apparent.

That super duty would be metric, not 8x6.5

Had the ttb posted on fb $200 complete. Not a peep.
offered the outer parts to wfo to trade for a gm short shaft, did not want.

Some one else has one posted for $700. I couldnt even trade the $ parts away.

I was just curious if it was a bolt in deal or not. Obviously not.

I have a 99f350 4x so im not actively pursuing it.

When did you convert to the dark side?

I got my dads sd a few months ago. Its just a get to work truck with no build/offroad plans. Fwiw i had a 97 2wd ps also but it was the same thing. Just a driver.

Still get the white whale to wheel/build/recovery veh. A cj5 to build from scratch as a wheeler, the c60 to finish. And my dumbass just bought a shit pile xr600l dirt bike.

20201120_104144.jpg

And my dumbass just bought a shit pile xr600l dirt bike.

Are you a big guy? I'm 5.10 and kept getting my ass kicked by the one I had right after high school. It was a '87 and the last time I rode it I broke the kick starter off. My cr500 was a much better choice.

Yeah. 6'2" high 200s.
totalbrotherinlaw bought a good condition kx250 a few months ago and im not fond of it. It only wants to go fast as fuck. Way faster than my newb ass is ready for. This will give me a chance walk into it and learn the parts before i whiskey throttle someone elses off a fucking cliff

Yeah you will be good, I couldn't touch the ground and it seemed hard to balance.
That bike has no problem wheeling though.

Top Back Refresh