What's new

Tire chains

YotaAtieToo

Thick skull
Member Number
Loc
Bonners Ferry, ID
Posted here because the sole purpose I need them for is pulling and maneuvering trailers. Even my empty landscape trailer is an anchor and can be a pain to maneuver in the snow and ice.

Les Schwab had some generic chains for ~$150/pr but they said they wouldn't hold up to towing at all. They suggested some stronger ~$350/pr version. I called a local place that only does tire chains from pickups to log trucks to log skidders. They said the same thing. The ones the carry are just smaller versions of the ones the log trucks use, so at least they're going to be badass.

Anyone have any thing else to add? I don't want to cheap out, but these things are going to be sitting 99% of the time.

Laclede chains are what I have, big truck style chain ones. They sell online I think.

sounds like 1/4" diameter links is all you need. oh and keep the wheel spin down to a minimum else you can throw a chain and mess up brake lines/fenders. You can find some halfway decent tire chains at walmart here in Colorado.

hell I'm running 3/8" diameter links on my 20k lbs backhoe and they don't break (even when they spin)

Ya, I like the idea of v bars for what I'm doing also.

Should I just get a pair or go all 4?
I don't really know your situation....but lugging a trailer around on your property....get a pair of those chains and see how you like them. Put them on the rear axle.

I live way up on the mountain on a very steep 7 mile long dirt road and usually only chain up one axle at a time. Not that often I use all 4 chains on a truck. I do, however, keep 4 chains in all my trucks just in case.

I personally think you can save a few bucks by getting some walmart chains. The ones you are looking at are fine though.

I don't really know your situation....but lugging a trailer around on your property....get a pair of those chains and see how you like them. Put them on the rear axle.

I live way up on the mountain on a very steep 7 mile long dirt road and usually only chain up one axle at a time. Not that often I use all 4 chains on a truck. I do, however, keep 4 chains in all my trucks just in case.

I personally think you can save a few bucks by getting some walmart chains. The ones you are looking at are fine though.

Basically I get around fine in all my rigs, until I hook a trailer up. Last time it was my 22' deck over with a 2500 dodge on it. Was a huge pain maneuvering it around. The other day I got all fucked up with my little car trailer on my driveway.

I don't need much, I was thinking just a pair for the rear.

Anyone hunting for chains for duals?

Ya, I like the idea of v bars for what I'm doing also.

Should I just get a pair or go all 4?
Snowchain.jpg

I have two pairs.

During snowmageddon '16-'17 I bought the first pair/took it up into the mountains.
Came home/ordered a pair for the front.

Single wheel or dual?

I don’t like that clasp above but I’m used to the gooseneck and cam style like on big trucks. Those look hard to get nice and tight.

What about shortening up a set? I did this with a set I had and loved them.

Srw

I've never ran them before, first chain I ever put on was on a snow blower a few weeks ago :laughing:

Cut down semi truck ones? How difficult is that? Do you literally just cut one side down?

These are for the wife's F150, so I really don't want to risk fucking a bedside up. I think I'll be able to use them on my 97 F350, but I'd be more inclined to use cut down big truck chains on that.

you need them with those tires, horrible in the ice/snow :laughing::flipoff2:
You are absolutely correct.

The Fall of '20 I bought a siping iron and siped the middle treads on the rear tires.
Then took a .25" thick cut off wheel on my grinder and cut sipes on the outer tread.

It wasn't until I mounted the 950lb camper in the Bronco bed that I finally got decent/marginal traction.:laughing: :homer:

1642892006476.png

I always buy used and then cut them to fit
get the cam tensioner ones

on duals, just run singles on the outside tires, triples are a pain in the ass unless you've got really good access with an open sided flatbed or something, and even then the singles are still easier to untangle and get on there when you're stopping every minute to thaw your wet frozen fingers in the exhaust

Top Back Refresh