What's new

Tile on stairs, is it a bad idea and a death wish?

Lil'John

Former #278
Member Number
Loc
Walking to the Rubicon
Title basically states it.

I'm scratching my head on floor covering for one level of stairs. 12 stairs that are 4' wide, a first floor landing that is 4'x6', and a 2nd floor landing that is 9'x9' that has 4'x5' cut out of it.

First floor landing goes to kitchen and front door.

Second floor landing has master bedroom(carpet or hard wood), master bath(shitty tile), and large office(shitty laminate that may eventually gets real wood)

Basically every subway has tiled stairs and you don't see people falling every day.

We aren't discussing my sanity of which I never claimed to have much of:lmao:

It sounds like people are saying bad idea... but if tile is a bad idea, why isn't a varnished hardwood or laminates?:homer:

My elderly parents have hardwood on their stairs, not polished but more of a satin finish, whatever that is. I think of myself as pretty sure footed but they feel slick as hell to me in anything but shoes. My parents think it looks great and just take their time going up and down, clinging to the railing the whole way. Unless you had some really rough abrasive tile, no way in hell.

It sounds like people are saying bad idea... but if tile is a bad idea, why isn't a varnished hardwood or laminates?:homer:

are you trying to kill your wife and collect life insurance? :flipoff2:

It is - our "new" house has wood parquet flooring on the upper level & half-flight of stairs up to it.

From my practical experience: fuck that noise, slippery shit that will fawk you some day.

IMO, throw down some PVT you like the look of.

Carpet like this for the real death wish!
dnaDitbP_o.jpg

We had our staircase with nice shiny ones, the first couple of days I thought it was a mistake, we got used to it after that though. I had a laugh when the movers showed up though. The head guy took one look at the staircase and muttered "fuck" under his breath.:laughing:
20210203_072920.jpg

Yes, it is dangerous. My wife works at a hospital. She has seen the aftermath. We have hardwood stairs with a decorative carpet runner up the middle.

We have hardwood stairs with the same shiny finish as the rest of the house. Never had a problem with shoes, socks or nothing on. Must be doing it wrong or something :confused:

I fucking LOVE tiled stairs
they had them in basically every commercial building around here, recently they added traction strips and it fucking sucks

If you position your feet just right, you can slide down them without moving your legs.

Basically every subway has tiled stairs and you don't see people falling every day.

Every subway is also filthy and has plenty of sand and dirt particles around acting as a grit. I go barefoot in my house and I prefer to not have even one grain of sand under my feet, which I will feel and it will feel like a boulder.

Yes, it is dangerous. My wife works at a hospital. She has seen the aftermath. We have hardwood stairs with a decorative carpet runner up the middle.

tile belongs on every surface, but not all at once.

tile on stairs? fuck yeah. I hate carpet, wife had to have the stuff :shaking: I think she is over it after paying for it and maintaining it.

carpet runner on the stairs like mentioned above is a great solution.

carpet stairs are slick, at least with tile people think it will be worse than it is and pay some attention

we have hardwood... I'm seriously considering a carpet runner... my shins and toes are begging for it.

Are the stairs concrete? Serious question. If they are wood you’re looking at cracked tile. Built houses for a living in an earlier life. No matter how you build em you are gonna get flexing in them.

Are the stairs concrete? Serious question. If they are wood you’re looking at cracked tile. Built houses for a living in an earlier life. No matter how you build em you are gonna get flexing in them.

Good question... mine are laid out similar to the above and they are built in wood. Front edge is 2"x~7" board. Top is 1 1/4" plywood. One side is 2x4 supported. Other side is 2x4 and 2x6 supported at each tread.... 4' wide tread gives it 34" span. The turns are 16" on center supported. Construction glued and tons of screws.

I've seen the cracked tile but that was ~3/4" ply on 16" span.

Yes and no. If you reinforce the stairs so you minimize flex you'll be okay. Only ever installed tile on one stair case. Told her she was bat shit crazy. We did it anyway.

My old house had carpeted stairs down to the basement but they were evil bastards. Those rounded edges sent me down the washboard more than a couple of times. But when you're bobsledding down them on your back you become thankful for those rounded carpeted edges.

Well, I guess it was more luge than bobsled.

giphy.gif

Top Back Refresh