What's new

TIG welding porosity

I have found leaks by putting it all in a bucket of water
just coil it all up and drop it on there and kick your gas on

a pin hole will haunt you
I usually put some dawn soap in a cup of water, and rub some between connections, or on hoses. If there is a leak you see it start to bubble.

20240320_190351.jpg
20240320_190315.jpg
20240320_190241.jpg

I hope I have something backwards.
Are you just shoving that whole setup through the front?

Unscrew the back cap, load the collet and tungsten through the back, tighten back cap down last

Leave the lense and diffuser mounted to the front

You're probably moving too slow. You can't dilly dally on mild steel. Maybe try pushing more filler. Helps cool the puddle. Common newb mistake.

Do you have a flow meter or just a gauge?

My thought were already answered by others. I think it’s a gas contamination issue. I’ve welded A LOT of shitty contaminated refinery shit and have been able to not have porosity. As was said, drench everything in soapy water.
This will only really work if you have a flowmeter, Turn the bottle off and walk away. One last thing to check is get the gas flowing, put your thumb over the cup to block flow and see if the ball stays floating or drops. Ball Drops if it leaks out elsewhere.

Have you tried welding anything else?

Turn your gas down 10-15 psi,power up and don't stay in one spot so long. You're cooking the steel from going too slow. If it bubbles add fresh filler and it will stop.

Id run at 15cfh
then swap a tank out if that doesn't work

and just because
your gloves are clean? You are not holding your rod in the gloves that you were scraping grease with were you ??:grinpimp:

Last edited:
Id run at 15cfm
then swap a tank out if that doesn't work

and just because
your gloves are clean? You are log holding your rod in the gloves that you were scraping grease with were you ??:grinpimp:

Thanks will do.

Reasonably clean :emb:

Gas lense is nice but not a necessity. It may help but you’ve probably got something else going on.

Got a different regulator you can swap on there?

Maybe open up the machine and leak check before the lead?

yall must be made of money
Old job I had that fucker cranked to 35-40 all day long. Had to compensate for someone opening the 40’ tall roll up doors and it’s windy around here. One door was 19’ wide the other was 35’ or so

Top Back Refresh