What's new

TIG setup for ESAB 235

The ESAB Tig torch is bulky because includes a switch which turns on the gas solenoid and the power to the torch as well. Not clear on if there is amperage control on the torch itself.

The torch you linked gets the gas from inside the dinse connector the ESAB unit has a seperate line that runs to the front of the machine.

my opinion is the ESAB torch is the way to go unless you want to hack something together and always be fiddling with it. It is only $165 to get it right.

Foot control is nice but not mandatory, I assume that it would take over amperage control and switching power to the torch as well but you would still need to work out gas to use a torch like you linked.

No 80/20 with TIG, CO2 will contaminate the tungsten if not the steel you are welding.

Last edited:
It is but it works if you are trying to bare bones tig with a welder that has no existing setup.

GET THE FLEX OR PIVOTING HEAD torch.

It is but it works if you are trying to bare bones tig with a welder that has no existing setup.

GET THE FLEX OR PIVOTING HEAD torch.

So it looks like a torch with a gas flow knob, 50mm Dinse and a foot pedal gets me set up.

I looked up the esab info earlier and read the brochure on esabs site.

I dont think you need a knobed torch. Gas comes through the unit and is tied into the sensory circuitry. My understanding is it will turn the gas on when it senses the torch is contacting for the lift start arc.

I looked up the esab info earlier and read the brochure on esabs site.

I dont think you need a knobed torch. Gas comes through the unit and is tied into the sensory circuitry. My understanding is it will turn the gas on when it senses the torch is contacting for the lift start arc.

Yep, I just figured that out as well. There is a separate gas port on the back of the machine and a second solenoid under the cover which I assume will kick when the pedal (or button on the ESAB torch is pressed)

So this far I have gathered,

CK Worldwide 150A 17-Style Flex Head TIG Torch, 12.5 ft - CK17-12-RSF FX

CK Worldwide Male Air Cooled Dinse Adapter 35 (1/2") - SL2-35

ESAB/Victor Foot Control for ESAB Rebel - W4014450

Took some reading and digging to find, seems like I’m not the only one confused by what is needed to switch to a slimmer setup on the emp235ci.

Top Back Refresh