What's new

Thinking about a Crossbow, what do I need to know?

MChat

Resident "Preacher Man"
Member Number
Loc
Northern Arizona
Never been into archery at all. Am considering picking up a cross-bow to add to my "arsenal." What brands should I avoid, or which brands should I be looking for, for an "entry level" cross-bow? What about bolts? Target practice vs Hunting?

Anything else I should know or any recommended reading (books or online)?

Thank you in advance!

I had a Ten Point when I got back into hunting. Used it a couple years before moving up to a compound. It was very accurate and easy - just put the range mark on target and pull trigger. Heavy and awkward for ground/stalk hunting. Also despite the much heavier draw weights the range is really not any longer than a compound

Tenpoint, Excalibur and Ravin are big brands around here. Excalibur is a recurve design so much simpler and as long as you dont damage the limbs is easy to maintain. The newer compounds changed how the limb fold and are much more compact. I would look at these.

For bolts there is less flexibility than regular bows. There are 2-4 types of nocks and you have to get the right one for your bow. Also the weight and spine is very critical to not damaging the limbs.

Since you have to run around with it cocked I always preferred mechanical or hybrid broadheads. Get ones rated for crossbows.

Sold mine after I went compound. The regular bow was more fun, easier to deal with hunting and the crossbow didnt really require any practice or non-hunting interest.

I went the other way and started with a compound in 1984 and ended up with a crossbow last year due to a shoulder injury. I kept it simple and opted for an Excalibur micro assassin. I have zero complaints about the crossbow but no experience with other crossbows to compare. I ordered the standard quills with 150g boltcutters and took a buck with it last year. I changed to heavier arrows and broadheads for this season. It's not always about speed.

I don't still hunt for deer here and sit on a stand instead, usually a saddle tied off in a tree. I find the crossbow a LOT easier to deal with on stand than my compound and also requires a LOT less movement to shoot.

Don't cut your fingers off with the string.

Crossbow Nation or possible archery talk for tech and specifics.

I went the other way and started with a compound in 1984 and ended up with a crossbow last year due to a shoulder injury. I kept it simple and opted for an Excalibur micro assassin. I have zero complaints about the crossbow but no experience with other crossbows to compare. I ordered the standard quills with 150g boltcutters and took a buck with it last year. I changed to heavier arrows and broadheads for this season. It's not always about speed.

I don't still hunt for deer here and sit on a stand instead, usually a saddle tied off in a tree. I find the crossbow a LOT easier to deal with on stand than my compound and also requires a LOT less movement to shoot.

Don't cut your fingers off with the string.

Crossbow Nation or possible archery talk for tech and specifics.
If the tenpoint I had wasn't so complicated I would have kept it for a backup. A problem with bow hunting is one shoulder injury can kill a season or more. If I find a good deal on an Excalibur I'll probably nab it as a simple backup to compound.

I wanted to try saddle hunting. Ordered a saddle kit from a guy who came recommended and he seems to have ghosted. Not out any cash but season starts next Saturday and if I had known I would have grabbed one from the midway clearance rack

Top Back Refresh