What's new

things you hear in the VS office about WTF happened to PBB and its members

VS now owns:

* How to put a solid axle under anything
* The list of the definitive 4x4/vehicle modifying literature
* Which vehicles have the best axles, where they can be found, how to tell nearly-identical axles apart
* Exactly how to re-inforce any axle or frame
* How to mount link suspensions and the hardware required/thresholds
* How to fit any engine under the hood of any Jeep
* Detailed Propane information
* How far forward to mount the axle on a Toyota
* How to modify an engine so it will run nearly upside down
* How to construct an inspection-passing roll cage with common kitchen utensils and bamboo

PBB identified and showed how to remediate literally every single driveline fuse in any conceivable rock-crawling vehicle.

You can cover your wall with 4x6" photos of likely 4x4 vehicles and throw a dart at them blindfolded. Then look at the vehicle you hit, and go on PBB, and there are multiple detailed threads, with every single pitfall, about how to turn it into a fairly radical rockcrawler. Then there are multiple threads to take that vehicle from that point, and turn it into a cage buggy, step by step with photos and detailed instructions and questions from the crowd.

The syrup zombies now own that, and they turned it into a Twitter feed.

There has been a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of ball-joints groaned in agony, and were suddenly sheared.

Hmmm - what about 'the right to be forgotten' from search engines? I wonder what the rules are on that.

this falls in to the option to have your account 'randomized' so that none of the posts are associated back to your username. something they've been doing for a while. Used to be a number of old threads and you'd see 'deleted' posts, now and for the last few years, things i know are from a certain person show up as attributed to
47866442 or some other random group of numbers

It was over 8 years ago

Yes it was, and the forum format has been dead for 10+ years. Still lots of traffic, but very little growth. From a business perspective, it's smart. Forums are one of the last bastions of the old internet. Things like IRC, blog sites, chat rooms, ect, ect have all been through the same process over the years. Forums are one of the last things left and any of the active ones are owned by VS now.

VS now owns:

* How to put a solid axle under anything
* The list of the definitive 4x4/vehicle modifying literature
* Which vehicles have the best axles, where they can be found, how to tell nearly-identical axles apart
* Exactly how to re-inforce any axle or frame
* How to mount link suspensions and the hardware required/thresholds
* How to fit any engine under the hood of any Jeep
* Detailed Propane information
* How far forward to mount the axle on a Toyota
* How to modify an engine so it will run nearly upside down
* How to construct an inspection-passing roll cage with common kitchen utensils and bamboo

PBB identified and showed how to remediate literally every single driveline fuse in any conceivable rock-crawling vehicle.

You can cover your wall with 4x6" photos of likely 4x4 vehicles and throw a dart at them blindfolded. Then look at the vehicle you hit, and go on PBB, and there are multiple detailed threads, with every single pitfall, about how to turn it into a fairly radical rockcrawler. Then there are multiple threads to take that vehicle from that point, and turn it into a cage buggy, step by step with photos and detailed instructions and questions from the crowd.

The syrup zombies now own that, and they turned it into a Twitter feed.

There has been a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of ball-joints groaned in agony, and were suddenly sheared.

Well, at least photobucket fawked about half of that!

This. From what I've read this has been their MO for years, they don't even think about feeling bad about it anymore. It's just what they do.

its capitalism at work. they dont give a flying fuck about the user bases. they're perfectly happy to let the site fill up with bots. as long as those ad's get loaded they dont need to care about anything else.

Yes it was, and the forum format has been dead for 10+ years. Still lots of traffic, but very little growth. From a business perspective, it's smart. Forums are one of the last bastions of the old internet. Things like IRC, blog sites, chat rooms, ect, ect have all been through the same process over the years. Forums are one of the last things left and any of the active ones are owned by VS now.

BBS are the olddddd bastion. the alamo of yester year.

I think they want to wreck it on purpose in order to herd all the discussions onto the big social platforms. Too much uncensored real talk was going on. Time to reel that shit on in.

its capitalism at work. they dont give a flying fuck about the user bases. they're perfectly happy to let the site fill up with bots. as long as those ad's get loaded they dont need to care about anything else.

And this site is the epitome of free market. We didn't like what they had to sell any more, so we moved on and choose where to put our support.

I'm a forum reader not a big time poster, have been since aol/netzero/dialup days. Have enjoyed Pirate for the past 16 years at least; GCC was basically my news stream and source of evaluating varied opinions, OSR for fun info, and the tech was always handy when needed. I was swayed into Miata's for cheap fun by a couple of threads and now have a fun rally toy.

...but they never got my money. I hope to see this place as a return to what was lost there, so I invested/"subscribed" for the future of maintaining forums of free speech and entertainment.

The great password fiasco of whatever year really did in Pirate and a lot of other VS owned forums. In the automotive world, a lot of older guys aren't terribly internet savvy in the first place, and they just gave up. Those old guys have a shitload of collective technical knowledge and it's hard to get them to share it on the internet for the rest of us.

460ford.com was the definitive forum for that engine platform. VS killed that motherfucker in a matter of a week. Users are lucky that we have the ones that returned who have always been major contributors. Yellowbullet as another I frequented and it calmed down and seems to still have a lot of use. I think that's solely because it's less specialized.

I don't know if it's still running well at this time since it's been a bit since I've logged in (Edit: It seems to be alive and well), but another member got pissed enough to build 429-460.com when the forum was originally sold to a new owner, and got over half the user base to join That was actually pre-VS. I still use both and many do, but it just shows how different teams running a place can completely ruin the environment and cause people to leave. I think the new site is the better one for sure now due to VS ownership of the original.

I and a buddy really wanted to imitate Pirate ourselves but it's a ton of work to run a bulletin board, and we weren't certain we could get as many to jump ship successfully, because most of the time the second forum dies. That and the money. It can cost for hosting and if nobody joins you're SOL. Time investment is huge as well.

Anyway, I'm genuinely going to try to keep this one alive. Forums are so much better when the members choose the direction things go, and not some bean counters that are far removed from the subject matter discussed on the board. Pirate was something special due to it's relatively self moderating status. I hope this place is more of the old Pirate with it's own quirks going into the future.

Last edited:
Well, at least photobucket fawked about half of that!

Absolutely true. I audibly curse every fucking time I see something cool and then Photofaggot just blurs the image. It's like dangling a carrot in front of a horse. Assholes. I'm not paying them, ever, for what they did to tech forums.

And this site is the epitome of free market. We didn't like what they had to sell any more, so we moved on and choose where to put our support.

I'm a forum reader not a big time poster, have been since aol/netzero/dialup days. Have enjoyed Pirate for the past 16 years at least; GCC was basically my news stream and source of evaluating varied opinions, OSR for fun info, and the tech was always handy when needed. I was swayed into Miata's for cheap fun by a couple of threads and now have a fun rally toy.

...but they never got my money. I hope to see this place as a return to what was lost there, so I invested/"subscribed" for the future of maintaining forums of free speech and entertainment.

free market at work indeed.

also lol at varied opinions. fox news article comment section has more variety in it than pbb gcc.

I laughed really hard when everyone would pile on a vendor about paying PBB for yellow star after they sold to VS. ummm the canadians don't give a shit. pay. dont pay. they want ad views.

eh, they are probably just laughing. They don't care, it's just a money tree to them. So some of the branches get cut off, it's still there.

Canookflipoff2.jpg

Top Back Refresh