What's new

things we don't see in homes, but should

Badass idea. I'm 100% doing this. Maybe I'll use SS piano pedals to match the fixtures. Reminds me of the big round, or half round ones with the foot pedal around the perimeter we had in one of my old shops.
It's on my list, might just make it a electric selector switch and a foot pedal, use a pair of normally open solenoids and if you switch to the selector switch to foot pedal mode, you set the temp you want with the regular faucet and it doesn't flow until you step on the pedal.

heating vents in garages
Can't, have to keep possible flammable vapors out of the living space.
Could put a mini split there.

Aaron Z

One of the things I did when I built my house that I love and other seem to is...the mudroom connects to the living room and the laundry room. The laundry room connects to the walk in closet and the walk in closet connects to the master bath. I live alone and don't use a laundry hamper because my clothes go straight into the washer. When it's full I run it and then everything goes right back on a hanger. I can walk into the mud room all dirty, strip down in the laundry room and walk right into the master bath shower.

My previous house had a lot of the shit mentioned. My favorite part was the layout.

Walk in from garage into a mudroom/laundry/dogwashing room. Accross from that was the master bath/closets for easy access for laundry. The pantry was just past that next to the kitchen so unloading the groceries was easy.

Loved having outlets in the bathroom cabinets so shavers and shit could be charged without being on the counter clutter. Wife could keep her hair shit out of the way and just open the cabinet when she was getting ready and not have to plug in her artillery.

Curbless shower and no door or glass to wipe off water spots place valves at entry so you can turn it on without getting wet until the temp is right

A bench for your wife to put her leg on while she's shaving will be appreciated. Make it a multilevel to put her puss at a convenient level as well.

dedicated lights to each side of the bed with switches.

pot filler over range

smart exterior lights for security

smart locks wired to the security system

fiber outlets behind cabinets in the center of the house for wifi routers to plug into (with AC plug obviously.

floor drain in the mechanical room

french doors on any level of the house going outside.

AC plugs in the floors where couches are likely to be based on layout.

plug behind the toilets to plug in a bidet heater and go ahead and install a tee with a valve on the water.

Run speaker wire from entertainment area to exterior balcony/porch/backyard oasis so you can put decent outdoor speakers up.

Our site dictated a walkout basement even though I didn't really want one, but I grabbed some of that space back by putting drawers under the lower steps which a lot of people were really impressed with that came over. I liked them as well, they were in the mechanical room and worked well for filters, light bulbs, manuals, etc, but we had a bar on the other side of the stairs. The part of the understair that was tall enough to walk into, was a closet big enough our Christmas tree could just roll in there still assembled.

fiber outlets behind cabinets in the center of the house for wifi routers to plug into (with AC plug obviously.
Scratch this, run cat6 to strategic spots so you can add POE access points, way cheaper and better supported, with no power outlet needed.

Router/modem can go wherever is convenient to connect to the ISP.

Scratch this, run cat6 to strategic spots so you can add POE access points, way cheaper and better supported, with no power outlet needed.

Router/modem can go wherever is convenient to connect to the ISP.
Maybe. Our whole house was wired for fiber. I didn't have any trouble. Some of the runs were well over 300 ft when you go up walls, down rafters etc. Went all the way to the shop with it too at over 700'.

I don't understand the "no shower door thing". Maybe I take violent showers. Master bath here had big doorless shower, that I spent $$$ having doors installed week 2 of living here.

I thought it was an awesome idea, having never used one. Every time I got out of the shower, it looked like it had rained in the bathroom. So fuck it... we got some big assed glass doors now.

I don't understand the "no shower door thing". Maybe I take violent showers. Master bath here had big doorless shower, that I spent $$$ having doors installed week 2 of living here.

I thought it was an awesome idea, having never used one. Every time I got out of the shower, it looked like it had rained in the bathroom. So fuck it... we got some big assed glass doors now.
They always feel cold to me without doors to keep the heat in. I'm not a fan. Cleaning the doors does suck though.

I could do the no shower door but there's a glass wall on the showering end style. Been in a few hotels with that arrangement.

mk27_casa-C_C_fernandoguerra_medium(37).jpg

Last edited:
We rented a house in PA for a weekend that had a drain in the bathroom floor, circular shower head in the ceiling and it was awesome! I wouldn't mind that at home.

my first thought

and it gets cold

Crawl spaces/attics if it has them equipped with full lighting and not full of rocks. How hard is it to grade out the crawl space and pull the baseball size rocks out before the house goes up?

Crawl spaces/attics if it has them equipped with full lighting and not full of rocks. How hard is it to grade out the crawl space and pull the baseball size rocks out before the house goes up?
My attic is lit with a variety of free fixtures, like old style can lights I got for free. I get free light fixtures and light bulbs off the side of the road all the time. I recently got about 100' of white rope light, I am going to run it all over in my crawlspace. Most work will still require task lighting but having it overall light will make it more inviting.

I can't imagine a 300' foot cat6 run in a house. Either your house is 10,000sq feet or your pathways are fucked

Same. I was showering at a relatives house who had a door less shower in the guest bathroom, at one point I had a river of water going off my elbow and right onto the floor tile outside the shower :laughing:. Some of the least relaxing showers I ever took, I was stressed out worried I was going to get water all over everything.

Same. I was showering at a relatives house who had a door less shower in the guest bathroom, at one point I had a river of water going off my elbow and right onto the floor tile outside the shower :laughing:. Some of the least relaxing showers I ever took, I was stressed out worried I was going to get water all over everything.
It's weird, and I think it depends on the person.

Wife would use our shower, no problem. Would shower our son in there (he was 3 at the time), no problem. I'd take a shower and the whole bathroom would look like 9 kids had a water balloon fight.

"Why do we need doors? It's fine.?"

"Bitch I WORK for a living. You in there rinsing off and sprinkling soap on you like a delicate fairy... im in there trying to sanitize after building mud huts all day"

:laughing:

It's weird, and I think it depends on the person.

Wife would use our shower, no problem. Would shower our son in there (he was 3 at the time), no problem. I'd take a shower and the whole bathroom would look like 9 kids had a water balloon fight.

"Why do we need doors? It's fine.?"

"Bitch I WORK for a living. You in there rinsing off and sprinkling soap on you like a delicate fairy... im in there trying to sanitize after building mud huts all day"

:laughing:
All I've deduced is you shower like a spastic bastard. :flipoff2:

Not to mention having some SOB taking pictures from the nice balcony they have there. :lmao:

Anyone thinks it's worth snapping a picture of me trying to scrub the stink off my asshole is welcome to it, and thanks for the compliment:laughing:
And my old lady can somehow detect a phone on camera mode from 50' when she's in any kinda compromising position, so good luck with that:lmao:

Top Back Refresh