What's new

These are some sorry tires

ridenby

Member Number
Loc
Kentucky
Bought a Chevy 3500 with Rydanz 245/75R16 10 ply tires. Might have put 5000 miles on truck in three years of owning it. Noticed a "shake" in the front a few months ago when used last. Go to use it couple of days ago and it about shakes off the road. Stop,check tires, front driver is humped up in the tread area. Busted belt. Look at others, they appear Ok. Limp back to park it and order some tires for front. Next day looking at truck and see the right front and outside left rear showing signs of busted belts. This morning right outside rear has a "warp" in the tread area.
20200802_113003.jpg
20200802_113027.jpg
20200802_113045.jpg
20200802_113118.jpg
20200802_113134.jpg

Cheap tires will do that. Also, sitting parked in one spot for long periods of time fucks with the belts in tires. Maybe that was your problem. Drive truck more?

Had a similar experience with cooper's on my service truck years ago.

In your experience, it's hard to blame the tires if you don't know what the old owner did with them. Over loaded and under inflated will kill any tire. That said, I'm kinda a cheapo tire fan for off road use, but not so much on my tow rig.

Hankook at is a great tire. I told my logging buddy about them, and it's all he runs on his trucks now. When they went to the new style, America/discount tire had them keep making the old style with their name on it (pathfinder at)

I have the Hankooks on my F350 and the pathfinders on the wife's F150. They are literally identical except sidewall print. Plus they are dirt cheap.

https://www.americastire.com/buy-tires/pathfinder-at/p/26244

I am sure being a cheaply made tire is the leading cause of this. Have other trucks that sit for long periods of time, the tires have never separated. 4 out of 6 so far.

I am sure being a cheaply made tire is the leading cause of this. Have other trucks that sit for long periods of time, the tires have never separated. 4 out of 6 so far.

I agree. My F250 has sat around more in the last 4 years than it has been driven. It has a set of 5yr old BFG A/T's on it and I haven't encountered any tire related issues, I drove it to work on Friday just because.

Got replacement tars. Treadwright "Dirt Lord" , love the name, look like a good tire. Remolded, sidewall and tread. Drive good as any new tire, took little to balance. I will see.

I have had nothing but trouble from Chinese tires. They do make a pretty spark show when they blow out at night.

Got replacement tars. Treadwright "Dirt Lord" , love the name, look like a good tire. Remolded, sidewall and tread. Drive good as any new tire, took little to balance. I will see.

I have the treadwright all terrains and they have been decent tires but I wont get any more then 15000 miles out of them

I had a set when they were cheap. Like $60 cheap.

but then they started to be over a $100 a tire, and i can buy new, decent tires for that kind of money.

the cost/value proposition got all out of whack.

Couple hundred miles on them, ok so far. I had their recaps,good tires. These are "remolded" the whole outside of tire is redone.

Because this is in the tow rig section, I do like a brand name tire, it makes the companies accountable.
Sure, the same Chinese factory makes multiple brands and then comes out with their house brand too but that does not mean they made their house brand to the same specs as the name brand.

Couple hundred miles on them, ok so far. I had their recaps,good tires. These are "remolded" the whole outside of tire is redone.

We had mixed results when they were local here. They didn't do well off road with low pressures and scuffing.

Because this is in the tow rig section, I do like a brand name tire, it makes the companies accountable.
Sure, the same Chinese factory makes multiple brands and then comes out with their house brand too but that does not mean they made their house brand to the same specs as the name brand.

That and some of the brand names I trust the ratings a bit more and they actually have something above an ST rating. I have 2 gooseneck trailers, smaller 16 foot and larger 28 foot. I run Bridgestone on the small and Goodyear on the large (both trailer tires) and had zero issues in the last 2 and 3 years I've been running them. That's 100% less then buddies that run cheap ST tires.

Had a similar experience with cooper's on my service truck years ago.

In your experience, it's hard to blame the tires if you don't know what the old owner did with them. Over loaded and under inflated will kill any tire. That said, I'm kinda a cheapo tire fan for off road use, but not so much on my tow rig.

Hankook at is a great tire. I told my logging buddy about them, and it's all he runs on his trucks now. When they went to the new style, America/discount tire had them keep making the old style with their name on it (pathfinder at)

I have the Hankooks on my F350 and the pathfinders on the wife's F150. They are literally identical except sidewall print. Plus they are dirt cheap.

https://www.americastire.com/buy-tires/pathfinder-at/p/26244

I've killed a bunch of sidewalls in those. Kept at 80psi, 245/75r17 on an f350 running 6k on the back axle. Not a single pair made 30k miles.

I've never seen a set wore off without dry rotting first. So yeah, they last forever.

They've been nothing but unpredictable for me. They stuck like glue in one corner, then I'm sliding all over the next. Climb a rock, dirt, and snow covered driveway one day, get stuck on wet grass that afternoon. They continued to surprise me how well they did one day, and then acted totally worthless the next.

​​​​​​Oddly enough I've had zero issues with Toyo or Cooper so I keep buying those. M55's are running out 70k+ miles running the same weight I was cooking sidewalls on hankooks.
​​

I've killed a bunch of sidewalls in those. Kept at 80psi, 245/75r17 on an f350 running 6k on the back axle. Not a single pair made 30k miles.

I've never seen a set wore off without dry rotting first. So yeah, they last forever.

They've been nothing but unpredictable for me. They stuck like glue in one corner, then I'm sliding all over the next. Climb a rock, dirt, and snow covered driveway one day, get stuck on wet grass that afternoon. They continued to surprise me how well they did one day, and then acted totally worthless the next.

​​​​​​Oddly enough I've had zero issues with Toyo or Cooper so I keep buying those. M55's are running out 70k+ miles running the same weight I was cooking sidewalls on hankooks.
​​

My buddy runs the Hankooks on his SRW F350 with a service bed full of tools, and his DRW F350 hauling a big gooseneck dump. He loves them, it's all he buys. I liked my toyo at2 the best except they were pretty loud after ~20k miles.

I had m55s for about 8k miles. I got them because I knew they were tough, loggers and farmers love them. They were all over the road, like white knuckles doing 60 over Donner summit towing 6k. I tried everything from 80 psi to 25. Finally I just replaced them with some ko2s and sold them for a huge loss.

You sure you're only 6k on the axle? Are you towing occasionally?

My buddy runs the Hankooks on his SRW F350 with a service bed full of tools, and his DRW F350 hauling a big gooseneck dump. He loves them, it's all he buys. I liked my toyo at2 the best except they were pretty loud after ~20k miles.

I had m55s for about 8k miles. I got them because I knew they were tough, loggers and farmers love them. They were all over the road, like white knuckles doing 60 over Donner summit towing 6k. I tried everything from 80 psi to 25. Finally I just replaced them with some ko2s and sold them for a huge loss.

You sure you're only 6k on the axle? Are you towing occasionally?

Scale said it was 6k. The empty service body was 2500 before I loaded it with tools and parts, and my backseat looks like a Milwaukee display.

​​We ​have them on everything from Nissan's to Duramax's and superduty's. There are a few of us that flat out refused to drive on them anymore so we get what we want and everyone else bitches that we get good tires.

The superduty's with service bodies are the only ones that have killed sidewalls. Our Duramax trucks just tow, so not huge axle weight.

I will say for tread stability they're fine, and tear wear is better than iron. I've never seen a set worn out before they were rotten.

In the winter is where they bring the suck. I was cruising around with my empty truck in 2wd with Toyo's, and I couldn't get the work truck out of that same parking lot in 4wd with the ATm. Should have crazy traction with that much weight and yet they just sit and spin rather than push.

I think where they pushed me into the "fuck these fucking things" was when I was drifting a 10k truck sideways down the interstate after they decided to let loose at 60. I still have some Ford seat in my ass from that one. When it's dry and they explode the truck just does a little wiggle and no big deal.

Last edited:
That and some of the brand names I trust the ratings a bit more and they actually have something above an ST rating. I have 2 gooseneck trailers, smaller 16 foot and larger 28 foot. I run Bridgestone on the small and Goodyear on the large (both trailer tires) and had zero issues in the last 2 and 3 years I've been running them. That's 100% less then buddies that run cheap ST tires.

Its not always the tire, though, especially with trailers.

I have nothing more than the OEM ST tires on my two trailers, and I have never blown a trailer tire. I also generally don't exceed 65 mph towing (except short stretches getting a "run" at the next hill or something)... guess what ST tires are speed rated for? I have used Provider, Hi-Run, and all the other OEM-style tires in the past, and still have yet to lose a trailer tire by keeping under the speed rating, keeping them at maximum inflation, changing them before they exceed 6 years of age, keeping the trailer hubs in good repair, and not hitting shit. I even ran expedited freight across the country on said tires, and I would wear the tread out before blowing one.

Anyway, the number one failure in ST tires is going too fast. Number two is underinflation. Number three is overloading.

Its not always the tire, though, especially with trailers.

I have nothing more than the OEM ST tires on my two trailers, and I have never blown a trailer tire. I also generally don't exceed 65 mph towing (except short stretches getting a "run" at the next hill or something)... guess what ST tires are speed rated for? I have used Provider, Hi-Run, and all the other OEM-style tires in the past, and still have yet to lose a trailer tire by keeping under the speed rating, keeping them at maximum inflation, changing them before they exceed 6 years of age, keeping the trailer hubs in good repair, and not hitting shit. I even ran expedited freight across the country on said tires, and I would wear the tread out before blowing one.

Anyway, the number one failure in ST tires is going too fast. Number two is underinflation. Number three is overloading.

well no one drives 65mph here :laughing: I agree with all that.

Top Back Refresh