What's new

The Wife's Bronco...

Pook

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
150 Mile House, BC, Canada
I am still a bit shocked, but maybe I shouldn't of been...

I met my wife, after I had gotten away from trail wheeling, competitive rock crawling, and racing after my 1st and 2nd divorce. :homer: I was just dirt biking at the time we met. After we were married, we got a Rzr and were having fun with that. We sold our house in the city at the end of 2021 and moved into the woods. Wife wanted her own side by side and got herself a General, which we take both the Rzr and General out in the woods fairly often. I knew she enjoyed the trail rides and getting out there.

Wife had a Hyundai Palisade, when the older kids lived at home the extra seating and space was nice, but up here it's just our youngest two kids that live with us, and with living 5 miles up a dirt road, thousands of lakes and forestry roads to explore, she was thinking she wanted something with a bit more ground clearance. She was looking at your typical SUV's, Tahoes, Yukons, the bigger Toyota's, but really none of them were much better for dirt road driving then her Palisade. More as a joke then anything I suggested she look at the Bronco's. I had seen a couple on the lot when I brought my F350 in for a service at the dealer.

Well we test drove one Friday, She liked it but I didn't think she would go for it. Saturday morning, she asked me to call the dealer and to arrange a longer test drive, ands wanted to bring the two youngest with us. We went and took for a longer drive, kids fit great, plenty of room. We get back to the dealer, my wife already did her math and homework as to what she wanted for a trade in value on her car, so she got to work negotiating, and the new vehicle came home that afternoon. 2024 Badlands with the sasquatch package. Also scored a full set of spare 35" tires that came off the dealership owners Bronco, as he went to 37" tires on his before he even drove it.

Sunday morning, wife woke up and said let's go get this dirty. :eek: So we headed out to a remote lake I had heard about from some neighbors. Bronco has 150 miles on it with half of those being dirt road and some snow wheeling. Wife has never owned an actual transfer case equipped vehicle so this will be fun. She took up side by siding pretty quickly so this shouldn't be to difficult. Our kids enjoyed the outing, similar to what we do side by siding, but with the additional fun of when we were done, we were able to drive through town for dinner afterwards.

Even had to put it in "rock crawl" mode to climb our way up a slick snow and mud hill. I find the goat modes a bit gimmicky that's for sure, but for the wife, they work. Easy way to explain what to use for what situation.

Wife has already wanted some accessories for it, Canvas sun top, roof rack ( she wants to be able to bring Kayaks or a canoe to some of the far away lakes) I will build some stuff for it, and will get most likely one of the tucked away winch setups for it. Saw the Rough Country setup, looked decent, will need to look around some more to see what else is out there.

This thing won't be a hardcore, beat up wheeler, but a decent capable daily that will get a decent amount of miles in the dirt... and maybe I will get back down to places like Moab sooner than I thought. I wouldn't mind sharing some of those experiences with the wife and the younger kids.

IMG_7072.jpg
IMG_7074.jpg
IMG_7084.jpg
IMG_7086.jpg
IMG_7083.jpg
image0.jpeg

That's awesome :smokin: in for adventures stories and pictures of the wife?
Fixed

I can’t remember the modes but isn’t goat mode the one with trail turn assist? Can’t remember how to do it but it’ll unlock the rear locker, leave the front locked and if you turn hard lock left it will apply the brake to the left rear wheel and pivot. On my little 2 door it worked as intended.

Fixed

I can’t remember the modes but isn’t goat mode the one with trail turn assist? Can’t remember how to do it but it’ll unlock the rear locker, leave the front locked and if you turn hard lock left it will apply the brake to the left rear wheel and pivot. On my little 2 door it worked as intended.
How did you get the trail turn assist on a manual Bronco? :confused: I figure it is just a matter of turning it on in the software, but I hadn't heard of anyone being able to do it yet.

Fixed

This edition came with the your typical slippery roads, snow, mud and ruts, Baja, and rock crawl mode, and the trail turn assist. I haven't tried the trail turn assist yet.

From the internet searching it looks just like three wheel burn I had in my comp rig with Arb's and cutting brakes. Should be fun.

Trying to decide if we will just use the stock Goodyear territory for winter, or find a better dedicated winter/ice road tire. Winters can be long, cold and icy.

Trying to decide if we will just use the stock Goodyear territory for winter, or find a better dedicated winter/ice road tire. Winters can be long, cold and icy.
The stock tires get tore up and wear out fast. Id just burn through them till something else is needed

This edition came with the your typical slippery roads, snow, mud and ruts, Baja, and rock crawl mode, and the trail turn assist. I haven't tried the trail turn assist yet.

From the internet searching it looks just like three wheel burn I had in my comp rig with Arb's and cutting brakes. Should be fun.
Get Forscan and unlock Sport mode! Also kill all the annoying chimes and honks.

Get Forscan and unlock Sport mode! Also kill all the annoying chimes and honks.

Find it odd it didn't get the sport mode. Will have to look into it for sure.

Wife ordered in the factory roof rails and cross bars so we can through our thule pod up on the roof and she wants to start dragging a canoe or kayaks out to some of the remote lakes around us.

Any suggestions on winch setups? I did a brief look at the hidden Rough country winch setups. I am leaning towards a setup like that. I like it tucked away, and doesn't interfere with the bumper sensors.

My opinion was that if I ever need a front winch having the fairlead and winch that low will probably be a pita... do you have the modular bumper? Id just get one of the aftermarket mounts that work with that and relocate the camera

The RC one is both weak and a pain in the ass to use.
Like 2bb said, just relocate your fanciness and buy an aftermarket mount.
I went with the JCR one but I know a few people that have Amazon specials they just beefed up.
Most importantly is to do a frame reinforcement. They make kits that make a huge difference in whether you tweak them or not.
The modes are actually pretty cool and do more than just turn lockers on.
Trail turn assist (sorta front dig) is a button next to lockers on dash.
1000001933.jpg

I had a blast in Moab with mine.

Also, if you hold down the traction control on/off button on dash it fully unlocks the nannies.

The braking and acceleration nannies
Advance trac I think is what Ford calls it.

Ahahaha
I've fucked with all of them enough to know that mud, baja, and rock turn traction control off which all I really want.
Mud works awesome in snow.
Baja for ripping across desert and rock actually works awesome in rocks.
Sport is pretty much all the time, especially if driving on snowy roads.

Have tried the trail assist a few times now, not in any real trail situation just doing u turns on our dirt road when we have forgotten something at home . Brings me back to front burns and 3 wheel burns with arb's and cutting brake days of my last buggy. Good times :smokin:

Top Back Refresh