What's new

The road Trip Thread

rockdog57

Getto fab garage owner
Member Number
Loc
Lindon, Utah
I thought I'd start a road trip thread. So feel free to add your road trips. The wife and I took a little road trip to Southern Utah this last week. We started out heading down through Moab, then on through Blanding to spend a couple of nights at Goose Necks of the San Juan State park. It's pretty much desert all around there. The views are pretty spectacular. First pick is a pic in Moab at the market. Second is San Juan.
IMG_0842 (1).JPG
IMG_0840.JPG

Last edited:
IMG_0855.JPG
We did a couple of day trips from there. First was to Monument Valley. It would have been a lot more impressive if it wasn't so smokie. We saw John Waynes cabin from the movie She Wore a Yellow Ribbon. It was really an indians root cellar. Didn't get pics of it.
IMG_0853.JPG

Last edited:
Heading back takes you through the little town of Mexican Hat. Guess you know now why they call it that.
IMG_0857.JPG

Last edited:
Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_0867.JPG Views:	0 Size:	357.5 KB ID:	143753 Went the other way to Hoven Weep State park. If you have never seen the indian ruins in the south west, its worth a trip to see. This is west of Mesa Verdi. Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_0867.JPG Views:	0 Size:	357.5 KB ID:	143753 I had more pics but couldn't get em to upload to the computer.

Last edited:
We took off from the san juan and headed up past the henry mountains and through Natural Bridges National Park. And headed up into the pines on the Boulder Mountain. Stopped to get fuel in White Mesa. Didn't go in after seeing this sign.:eek:
IMG_0876.JPG

Last edited:
I got home 5 minutes ago from a smash and grab, left Tucson at 445am yesterday to pick up a trailer in big spring Texas, then trade a bad engine rhino (and cash) for a bad engine tractor east of San Antonio, 2,000 miles in 38 hours. I'm beat :laughing:

The rhino has a bad engine, the tractor has a bad engine, so here my friend loads it with his sky hook, while I'm drinking the cold beer he'd handed me, life is good!

Wind turbine blades, must have passed 10 on the road, they're a big deal, each blade is likely 120' long, and curves over the top of your vehicle, it's pretty tall, but so is a SxS sitting on top of your toolbox

one of the 1st things I saw once in Texas was a couple guys that had pulled the tranny out of the semi on the side of the road, git er done:smokin:
Click image for larger version Name:	20200924_201156.jpg Views:	0 Size:	143.8 KB ID:	143868 Click image for larger version Name:	20200924_203912.jpg Views:	0 Size:	247.2 KB ID:	143869 Click image for larger version Name:	20200925_113711.jpg Views:	0 Size:	137.4 KB ID:	143870 Click image for larger version Name:	20200925_132817.jpg Views:	0 Size:	349.4 KB ID:	143871 Click image for larger version Name:	20200925_113645.jpg Views:	0 Size:	159.3 KB ID:	143872

Last edited:
20200925_155239.jpg
20200925_160947.jpg
20200925_175156.jpg
20200925_174524.jpg
20200925_174931.jpg

@2bigbronco

The trailer is a 83"x22 14k load trail, i didn't find a better deal this side of the Mississippi, seriously, I spent hours looking, i had 99 tabs open on my phone, just call Gary at www.thetrailerguys.com and buy a trailer, tell him I sent you, or don't, it might get you a free doughnut. They close at 5pm sharp on Friday, by appt only on Saturdays.

I left Tucson at 5am, to make the 10 hour drive. I didn't realize I crossed 2 time zones, losing 2 hours. In all my calls to Texas trailer dealers, it's pretty clear they don't stay open late, at 5pm they start polishing their belt buckles, I made it on time:laughing:

The yard boys had fun with the forklift and I slipped them some beer money

I stopped in this parking lot, i think it was big spring, both of those pickups were dumped, I'm not above looking for contact info in an abandoned car to buy it, and figured I could maybe squeeze it in the trailer:mr-t:
Found pay stubs in the dodge, guy made 30k YTD in the oil fields by April, now his truck was dumped behind the family dollar, not sure on the Chevy, but I'm guessing at least a month.

Then when leaving I spotted the light pole, that area has been hard hit. The neighborhood directly behind it is this great all American neighborhood, well maintained red brick houses, 9/10 lawns immaculate

From there I got a hold of BillyBronco to set up our morning meeting at his family's ranch east of San Antonio. I planned on getting near his place then crashing out in the backseat for a few hours.

He insisted that I be his guest and he and his dad stayed up late, we unloaded the rhino loaded the tractor, and they put me up fur the night at their beautiful ranch, I wish I had more time to explore it, I've done business with Billy before, but never in person, his dad and him are stand up guys, a rare breed:usa::usa:

Last edited:
I did some math, I got 9.6mpg i was expecting 12
208 gallons, 10 fill ups, literally, ccsb Chevy has a 24 gallon tank, in az there's a city every 100 miles, and a good sized town halfway inbetween, there's some 100 plus stretches with no fuel, or one and if you skip it you're screwed.
I have a toolbox tank that's not plumbed, once i stopped at a rest stop with the fuel light on and dropped my electric pump in to get me to my next stop.
I normally tow between Tucson and Phoenix at 73mph, Texas has 80mph speed limits, and I was in a hurry, running 84 most of the time, with lots of hills.
Despite all that, and sleeping, the deals, the loading and unloading, I averaged 52mph:smokin:

Last edited:
20200926_184833.jpg
2big bronco trailer pics man:grinpimp:

these are out of order, but the top one is sunset an hour from home, below is sunrise leaving Seguin Texas

There's a sad angle to this. My Mammaw and Pappaw live in Kerrville Tx, and I drove through twice, probably within 10 minutes of their house, I haven't seen my Pappaw in 8 our 9 years, and I set this trip in motion to see them, but they are old, in poor health, and have quarantined themselves, I'm not sure if or when I'll see them, it was hard to be so close

20200926_064904.jpg
20200926_100238.jpg
20200926_100347.jpg
20200926_092111.jpg

20200926_184833.jpg

@2bigbronco

The trailer is a 83"x22 14k load trail, i didn't find a better deal this side of the Mississippi, seriously, I spent hours looking, i had 99 tabs open on my phone, just call Gary at www.thetrailerguys.com and buy a trailer, tell him I sent you, or don't, it might get you a free doughnut. They close at 5pm sharp on Friday, by appt only on Saturdays.

Cool I just shot them an email inquiring about a 28' deckover hydrolic tilt gooseneck. (My dream trailer) hopefully the deal isnt good enough to have to drive to texas for.

What's your impression on the load trail?

Cool I just shot them an email inquiring about a 28' deckover hydrolic tilt gooseneck. (My dream trailer) hopefully the deal isnt good enough to have to drive to texas for.

What's your impression on the load trail?

I spent all of 12 minutes picking mine out from 3 identical trailers, I didn't see any shoddy craftsmanship, picked mine mostly based on least flaws in the paint. The wood is as cheap as it gets. Dexter axles
6" channel and tongue
The fenders are removable, a nice touch I wasn't expecting

I'll look it over more closely next week, I dropped it at my buddies place yesterday

do they have the 28 footer in stock or is that something you're looking for?

kind of an odd size, i figure a 24' would hassle almost anything, and a 30 or 32 would haul 2 vehicles

I'd go steel deck in a heartbeat, probably lowboy, I've put retarded shit on 18' tilt

Edit: Fuck those tilt trailers where the front 4 feet doesn't tilt. Worthless/ downright dangerous to load a long truck on, maybe ok for a skid steer and a spare bucket

Last edited:
I spent all of 12 minutes picking mine out from 3 identical trailers, I didn't see any shoddy craftsmanship, picked mine mostly based on least flaws in the paint. The wood is as cheap as it gets. Dexter axles
6" channel and tongue
The fenders are removable, a nice touch I wasn't expecting

I'll look it over more closely next week, I dropped it at my buddies place yesterday

do they have the 28 footer in stock or is that something you're looking for?

kind of an odd size, i figure a 24' would hassle almost anything, and a 30 or 32 would haul 2 vehicles

I'd go steel deck in a heartbeat, probably lowboy, I've put retarded shit on 18' tilt

Edit: Fuck those tilt trailers where the front 4 feet doesn't tilt. Worthless/ downright dangerous to load a long truck on, maybe ok for a skid steer and a spare bucket

28' would fit any 2 vehicles I would haul and yes fick the trailers with the part that doesnt tilt.

Top Back Refresh