What's new

The NV4500 from hell, a call for help.

all this talk about nv4500s reminds me that I need to open up the one in my 95. does anyone have a source for a good rebuild manual?

Quicktime is the only known bellhousing that works with the early up to 1995 smalish bearing retainer to chevy engine bolt pattern I'm aware of.
What would cause the stock bellhousing to not work? Chevy offered the 1995 Nv4500 with the small block engine on pickups, and the LQ4 bolt pattern is the same as the small block.

Ironic!

Just wondering - Is your output housing stock?
Far as I'm aware it is.

I've put several 100k of miles on NV4500's using BG SynchroShift fluid. Its completely priced with the Mopar and GM stuff.

With that said, OP's noise is not a fluid issue. I'm deaf AF and it sounds to me like rattlin blocking rings and/or syncro sleeves. Seems to shift ok though.

How about the clutch fork rattling around?

What do the shift forks and detent look and feel like?
Shift forks looked fine, detents feel fine.

I've been doing alot of research on the nv4500/ls and alot of the aftermarket bellhousings aren't perfectly in line and cause issues. Also check your clutch. Might have lost a weight
I would expect any issue with the clutch, bellhousing, pilot bearing, ect. to happen almost all the time. With no load on the transmission the only change in noise should be from an rpm increase or pushing the clutch in. I don't feel like anything in that area should cause an issue in only 4th and 5th. In the trans failure with the pilot bearing you mentioned, everything got lost except 4th, not just one or two gears.

Since I never mentioned it, I have a ball bearing pilot bearing, not a bushing or needle bearing. The transmission fits into it firm. When pushing the clutch in the noise doesn't stop until everything stops turning.

Is that the bellhousing that has the clutch fork at about 4:30 or so on the clock looking from the rear ?

On a square body chevy it gets in the way of the front driveline is using a passenger drop transfer case.

Im also thinking from the perspective of my project.

What would cause the stock bellhousing to not work? Chevy offered the 1995 Nv4500 with the small block engine on pickups, and the LQ4 bolt pattern is the same as the small block.

Its the pattern on the trans side of the bellhousing not the engine side. The early GM nv4500ss had their own unquie bolt pattern on the trans side. In mid to late 95 they went to the same bolt pattern that dodge used.

Reactions: PAE
Bearing retainer pilot is also 5 125 opposed to 5.600 on the late aka 1996+.

All of 1995 should have been the early transmission to bellhousing bolt pattern and early bearing retainer diameter of 5.125"

Only thing from my past 10 years of research in the 1995 should have been the gear ratio.

The 1995 was the last year of the wide reverse idler 1996 was the start of the narrow idler.

Keep this in mind\ the late 1996+ AA bellhousing does not and cannot use an external slave and or clutch fork, the larger 5.600" diameter procludes a ball stud at the standard location from existing~

This was one of my fuckups from my early days in picking the late 1996+ transmission, I only picked the late as it is/was a brand new nv4500.

If you want my new 1996+ transmission parts discards contact via PM, most likely only the case and countershaft cluster gear and related parts.

FYI:\ Quad4x4 is a great tool to learn whats what in these transmissions.

Its the pattern on the trans side of the bellhousing not the engine side. The early GM nv4500ss had their own unquie bolt pattern on the trans side. In mid to late 95 they went to the same bolt pattern that dodge used.

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh