What's new

The greatest stand-up performance of Alllll Tiiiiiiime

Carlin wasn't funny at the end (when he had his vegas show, it was bad) but he had DECADES of work to overshadow that.

Rodney?????? Nope.

Carlin methodically moved to spoken word toward the end, and he was still funny. Just not 1980s HBO funny. It was a different act but still among the greatest of all times. We AREN'T the Owners, we have Owners. Austin is the Owner, get him!

Fuck you on Rodney.

Dave Chapelle, Bill Burr, and Mitch Hedberg are my 3 favorites. Dave Chapelle's Clayton Bigsby skit has to be one of the funniest comedy skits of all time, and only Dave could have pulled it off that well.

I'm a huge Carlin fan - first 3/4 of his standup and all of his books I've read make me :lmao:

His last few concerts did nothing for me, but he was still a comedic genius IMHO.

No mention of Chris Rock yet? His Bring the Pain concert was solid :laughing: from start to finish.

EDIT: on OP's topic - Dice was hilarious, but greatest of all time? - yeah, fuck nah :flipoff2:

Last edited:
Tom Segura fans?
https://youtu.be/ZC4Gymm8PQs

How bout Stanhope?
https://youtu.be/fcOKqXYusQw

Can't forget Dave Attell. No link, I'm driving :flipoff2:

Stanhope just sounds like me drinking so I don't find it funny, it's also not funny his 60 year old girlfirend coked herself into a blackout (is that even possible?) and put herself into a coma falling on her head. I like Doug, though, but it's basically like watching me.

Attell is great.

Steven Wright's 1980 act was also one of the best of all time. He's not the greatest comedian of all time, but his set on HBO is one of the best performances of all time.

I have many thoughts.. will limit it to just a few

I saw Carlin in Vegas.. he is in the top 10 list.. if we make a list.. which I think would be great

When Eddie Murphy's RAW came out.. he was on the next level and should be top 10

I think Robin Williams would be high on the list, but he is not known for being a stand up, however thats how he started out.. and he did do much of it.. like when he was part of "Comic Relief"

There are a number of other black performers, which ya'll have not discussed.. I don't think anyone mentioned Richard Pryor

There are a number of female performers who would definitely make top 20, but not top 10... like Wanda Sykes

also.. what about newer comics like Fluffy, or Dunham? they would definetly be top 20..

Dave Chapelle, Bill Burr, and Mitch Hedberg are my 3 favorites. Dave Chapelle's Clayton Bigsby skit has to be one of the funniest comedy skits of all time, and only Dave could have pulled it off that well.

I still to this day remember the 1st time I saw that episode... I think it was the first show. I would equate it to walking into Woodstock enamored with this new fangled rock music and then watching Hendrix play the national anthem. Life changing funny. I don't think I've ever laughed that hard... ever.

Stanhope just sounds like me drinking so I don't find it funny, it's also not funny his 60 year old girlfirend coked herself into a blackout (is that even possible?) and put herself into a coma falling on her head. I like Doug, though, but it's basically like watching me.

Attell is great.

Steven Wright's 1980 act was also one of the best of all time. He's not the greatest comedian of all time, but his set on HBO is one of the best performances of all time.

Good thing nobody gives a fuck what you say anyway, so my post is still valid. :bounce:

I saw Carlin in Vegas.. he is in the top 10 list.. if we make a list.. which I think would be great

When Eddie Murphy's RAW came out.. he was on the next level and should be top 10

I think Robin Williams would be high on the list, but he is not known for being a stand up, however thats how he started out.. and he did do much of it.. like when he was part of "Comic Relief"

There are a number of other black performers, which ya'll have not discussed.. I don't think anyone mentioned Richard Pryor

There are a number of female performers who would definitely make top 20, but not top 10... like Wanda Sykes

also.. what about newer comics like Fluffy, or Dunham? they would definetly be top 20..

Wanda Sykes is not funny at all. Neither is Whitney Cummings and she got an HBO special. Terrible

Everyone who discovered Dave Chappelle from his show first missed out on some of the funniest standup shows ever. I was in college and had both the stand-ups I could download from limewire and knew them by heart. 2003 the show hit and it was great too but as funny as it was it's still not as funny as his stand-up routines.

"Dave, dave, calm down. Pull your pants up. I'm sorry officer, I didn't know I couldn't do that"

Patrice O'neal - Elephant in the Room is such a great set.

Richard Pryor is just a comedian that people love to say they love. Same with Patrice O'Neal, he had a some moments in his well-known big set.

Fluffy is a fucking hoot, and a decent actor. He can be a little contrived but he's getting more natural.

Robin Williams will always be a Stand-up comic to me even though I first saw him as Mork.

black performers

Bernie Mac, his earlier big sets were tremendous. Love him in Bad Santa.

Everyone who starred in Bad Santa did their best work. Including Lauren Graham

And I've listened to enough Richard Pryor to know he was funny as shit. I doubt Eddie Murphy and Chappelle saying that Pryor is one of their biggest influences are doing it just to say it. His impersonations were terrific.

And I've listened to enough Richard Pryor to know he was funny as shit. I doubt Eddie Murphy and Chappelle saying that Pryor is one of their biggest influences are doing it just to say it. His impersonations were terrific.

Richard Pryor and Robin Williams were on the fly funny. They were good and making shit up as they went and picked on people in the crowd

Oh cool!!! this can be our stand up comedian thread. :flipoff2: Trust me, this can work.

I always liked Jerry Clowers but I grew up around a bunch of old men who used to tell his jokes.

ankther one always funny to me and brutally honest was Daniel Tosh. But I don’t think he is for everyone.

I always liked Jerry Clowers but I grew up around a bunch of old men who used to tell his jokes.

ankther one always funny to me and brutally honest was Daniel Tosh. But I don’t think he is for everyone.

Tosh and Jeselnik both, and they are definitely not for every especially Jeselnik. His two Netflix specials are off the hook though.

I still to this day remember the 1st time I saw that episode... I think it was the first show. I would equate it to walking into Woodstock enamored with this new fangled rock music and then watching Hendrix play the national anthem. Life changing funny. I don't think I've ever laughed that hard... ever.

I know I've watched it at least 20 times, and I still laugh till my guts hurt every time.

Carlin has to be top 3. Maybe #1. His timing, delivery, lack of mistakes, it all worked with his creativity.

Tosh and Jeselnik both, and they are definitely not for every especially Jeselnik. His two Netflix specials are off the hook though.

I can't stand jesselnek. His timing sucks and is so fake.

Pre-show tosh was just incredible. Saw him live before his show started. His opening joke was " did y'all hear batman killed Heath Ledger?" The day after he died. Hilarious.

IMO it's hard to beat Buddy Hackett live. Saw him in Las Vegas years ago and he was great. You didn't want to sit up front though. :flipoff2:

I can't stand jesselnek. His timing sucks and is so fake.

Pre-show tosh was just incredible. Saw him live before his show started. His opening joke was " did y'all hear batman killed Heath Ledger?" The day after he died. Hilarious.

Jeselnik's whole schtick is "I'm performing", so he gets away with what he wants. Or at least more than anyone else. Caligula is a landmark set.

IMO it's hard to beat Buddy Hackett live. Saw him in Las Vegas years ago and he was great. You didn't want to sit up front though. :flipoff2:

I was waiting for Rickles before Hackett. Hackett was a baaaaaaaad boy! My generation remembers him as sort of a fat clown. I know better, my grandmother loved him.

Top Back Refresh