What's new

The End Hanger

KrustyTJ

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
Michigan
These don’t come up for sale often so had to jump on it . The hanger is on the end so there’s some extra room vs being a regular tee hanger more room for activities.

The hanger was full of crap the owner had a gear up taxi incident that totaled out his plane years ago and the hanger just collected crap. He recently decided to move on and listed it for 30k helped with cleaning it out some and getting it for 25k . Also scored some good stuff while helping get his stuff gone.

I talked to the owner of the hanger next to this one yesterday. He explained about the goofy frame work in the trusses it was from a old wood door that EAA came up with I’m guessing they had a plan or article in there magazine at one time for a do it yourself hanger door design. The hanger now has a nice bi- fold door now which is a bonus I probably wouldn’t have bought it by sounds of the old door that use to be there.

I removed the little rascals fort that was built in the extra corner area yesterday I still need to pull some brackets and extra frame work off of the walls today and get it a good sweeping.

The plan before it snows is get it cleaned up so it can be used for boat, car , and motorcycle storage. This spring once tge summer toys come back out I’ll add some more outlets and decide on the lighting. The longer term plan is to insulate, build shelves, sheet the walls , heater , and remove the asphalt floor for concrete.

I haven’t taken the exact dimensions yet but there’s enough room for a two post lift in the extra corner area with the ceiling and door height plenty of room for my junk.

The hanger it self seems to be in good condition for it’s age built in 1988. I have a few repairs that need to be done in the next few weekends to keep out mice. This weekend is clean up and organize the lumber I’m recycling for future shelving. I might get the boat out there tomorrow all depends on what gets done today.

Here’s a few pics from yesterday I’ll look for the pics later tonight when I first checked it out two months ago.

IMG_8884.jpeg

The mezzanine I removed yesterday in the corner

IMG_8885.jpeg

The other side where I’ll get the lumber organized today

IMG_8886.jpeg

The facilities are out back so it’s a close walk

IMG_8887.jpeg
This is the row of hangers behind mine my old man’s hanger is the fourth one down with the rubber at the top of the door
IMG_8889.jpeg

Here’s some small damage that I need to figure a repair on . I’m going to ask around if anyone has left over from when they were built I forgot to ask the neighbor yesterday

IMG_8888.jpeg
.Also being on the end it’s where the power comes in at . I’ve seen where man doors are add to the back not sure I’ll go that route plenty of time to think that over. We’ll time to get at I’ll post some progress later on.

30k?
you are not going to find that for less than a heave six digits anywhere around here
congrats:beer:

do you actually have a plane to put in it, or are you going to be like everyone else and pile all the extra from your garage in there:grinpimp:

So after the 30K, do you own it? Is there payments to be made to the airport or city? (Other than taxes) That sounds like a give away price. I’m looking at a lot on a air park in the middle of no where that is 35K and I have to build the hanger and pay a monthly fee.

Being able to just open one wall of the shop is legit. Game changer for sure.:smokin:

do you actually have a plane to put in it,
No flying machine as of now the hanger needs some work. I’m just doing s tighten up before winter to store the wife’s boat , my dads car and my nephews bike. I don’t want to fill it up before replacing the floor and need to keep space for a plane there are rules on what it’s intended for which is aircraft storage but I’ll probably squeeze a lift in there and a few bikes.

So after the 30K,
$750.00 annual fees for taxes and airport association fee. As it sits now it’s paid for at 25k there is needed improvements the floor is garbage , needs insulation, more outlets and heat . I’m pretty stoked on the door and getting one on the end hangers here usually get pasted down rarely sold.

Here’s a pic with the door closed today I got the wood organizing that I’ll keep for shelves. I have pile of garbage to haul out and a few metal shelves to put in the scrap pile. I’ll seal it up tomorrow with some spray foam and tighten up two lower boards. I’m also going to patch the tear from the plow truck and remove the two mercury lights those things are annoying .

IMG_8891.jpeg

Here’s a pic of the old mercury lights. I turned them on for awhile that buzz is annoying reminded me of the old Zantop hanger at Willow Run.
IMG_8894.jpeg

$750.00 annual fees for taxes and airport association fee. As it sits now it’s paid for at 25k there is needed improvements the floor is garbage , needs insulation, more outlets and heat . I’m pretty stoked on the door and getting one on the end hangers here usually get pasted down rarely sold.
Damn! Would love to find something like that around here.

No flying machine as of now the hanger needs some work. I’m just doing s tighten up before winter to store the wife’s boat , my dads car and my nephews bike. I don’t want to fill it up before replacing the floor and need to keep space for a plane there are rules on what it’s intended for which is aircraft storage but I’ll probably squeeze a lift in there and a few bikes.

Does it say what size of aircraft?? Because ya know, remote control airplanes can get pretty big(and taken apart once they are done inspecting

So after the 30K, do you own it? Is there payments to be made to the airport or city? (Other than taxes) That sounds like a give away price. I’m looking at a lot on a air park in the middle of no where that is 35K and I have to build the hanger and pay a monthly fee.
The ones I've seen 35k might cover a year's lease.

Nice find. Needs a plane in it!

Location is key.

My airport they are $6k a year with a 10+ year waitlist. Where I bought my plane in Iowa, $45 a month and readily available.

The ones I've seen 35k might cover a year's lease.
I remember hanger shopping when I lived in anchorage 120k was about average but that was almost 20 yrs ago I never looked into annual fees at that price it was yup that’s never gonna happen.

Does it say what size of aircraft??
If I remember it says registered but I have also seen kit planes under construction in the past. I don’t think the association has a issue with project airplanes it’s the guys that use it for storage of other toys or just junk which this hanger was being used as. I’m going to store some summer toys this winter but they’ll be gone in the spring and I’ll keep making improvements over the summer.

Nice find. Needs a plane in it!

Location is key.
That’s the plan down the road I want it fixed up first after working out there yesterday I think the floor has moved up on the list for next summer.

Could I interest you in a helicopter? I sold the one I had for sale on here, but I think I’m going to have another soon. It doesn’t take too much room from your other toys.

I remember hanger shopping when I lived in anchorage 120k was about average but that was almost 20 yrs ago I never looked into annual fees at that price it was yup that’s never gonna happen.
I've never seen one here that wasn't finished out and heated, so there's that too.
The few I've seen for sale near the main airports like Merrill field were seven figures or barely under.

Last edited:
We've got a local small airport, so I looked it up just for reference.
T-Hangars: starting at $300/month

I assume that is a standard t-hanger at about 1000 s.f. Online they don't say anything about what you have to store there. From open doors when I go by, I know one hanger has a plane and a couple classic cars in it, though.

I sealed up the walls at the bottom where they meet the wood I just used spray foam kinda messy got the out side cleaned up I’ll finish the inside tomorrow night also brought the wife’s boat over no shrink wrap this year pretty stoked on that I may replace the left side windshield kinda depends on my projects at home this winter.

I also pulled the two large old lights down and replaced some bulbs with led ones
IMG_8892.jpeg
IMG_8915.jpeg

We cleaned most of the spray foam up on the inside that we could get to easily l had some help she was having a good time collecting up the foam as I cut it. I also brought over one car and two motorcycles I might bring the jeep out or my never ending toyota project to free up more space at home for winter projects.
IMG_8922.jpeg

IMG_8923.jpeg

I'm torn. Hangars are for airplanes, and we do annual inspections at our airport to make sure that there is active aviation things going on in our hangars. If the airport takes Fed money, there are some rules also, but depends on your airport manager how strict they are. We are getting ready to kick 2 tenants out because they have no aviation related things in their hangars and have been given 12 months to change that. There is a 9-12 month waiting list for hangars around here, and we are trying to build 8 rental Tee hangars because they are needed for aircraft.

I'm torn. Hangars are for airplanes, and we do annual inspections at our airport to make sure that there is active aviation things going on in our hangars. If the airport takes Fed money, there are some rules also, but depends on your airport manager how strict they are. We are getting ready to kick 2 tenants out because they have no aviation related things in their hangars and have been given 12 months to change that. There is a 9-12 month waiting list for hangars around here, and we are trying to build 8 rental Tee hangars because they are needed for aircraft.

if somebody parked a plane in a hanger, but never flew it or did anything with it. Would yall be fine with that?

Can you weld in it? That's the problem with most hangers up here in Washington, I'm pretty sure it's an insurance thing. I did some sidework for a guy at the Arlington airport who did a little bit of welding here and there and they really got on his ass about it. In some of the leased city hangers you can't store fuel, paint or solvents that aren't in an approved cabinet. An aircraft with 100s of gallons of fuel is ok though.

It’s a private airport there’s no fed money involved. There are rules that the association has on hanger use I’m using it as winter storage for now as I fix it up this summer everything is coming out for a new floor. I may use it next winter for storage again really depends on what gets sold next summer and my budget is dependent on that. Most airplanes at this airport get annuals done in there own hanger by old retired mechanics and owners that have there A&P/IA.
Can you weld in it? That's the problem with most hangers up here in Washington, I'm pretty sure it's an insurance thing. I did some sidework for a guy at the Arlington airport who did a little bit of welding here and there and they really got on his ass about it. In some of the leased city hangers you can't store fuel, paint or solvents that aren't in an approved cabinet. An aircraft with 100s of gallons of fuel is ok though.
That’s not a issue here private airport and most hangers are owned there maybe some that are rented out and I have no idea what that rental agreement would have in it. In short I own it and will use it as I want staying within the rules of the airport association.

Like nearly every rule in place (referring to airplanes with gas but gas can’t be stored), it makes sense if you don’t think about it…:lmao:

Top Back Refresh