What's new

The Bourbon thread

Vancharger

Member Number
Loc
Norway
So.... for the uneducated, what is a good bourbon, a good cheap bourbon, or a classy bourbon? Trying to learn here, I want to find a brand/label that is good straight or mixed. So far in a limited market off the shelf in Norway, I find Bulleit to be good for both. Makers Mark too expensive for what it tastes, and please don't say Jack Daniels or Jim Beam...

Cheap? Basil Hayden

Not ridiculous and good? Woodford Reserve, Woodford Reserve Double Oaked, Eagle Rare, Bulleit, Jeptha Creed

Expensive? Blantons, Pappy, Weller.

Cheap? Basil Hayden

Not ridiculous and good? Woodford Reserve, Woodford Reserve Double Oaked, Eagle Rare, Bulleit, Jeptha Creed

This.

I'll add Knob Creek...their Rye is pretty good too

eta: Bakers ( Ya, Im a small batch Beam guy )

tonight its IPA tho....

photo42283.jpg

Depends on your store and I had that bottle of BH in mind when I posted. Well that and the regular stuff.
Edit: The one to the left is good. The one in the center is not bad. Woodford is decent, but it has batch to batch differences...despite what they say.

Cheap? Basil Hayden

This. I wish we could get Blantons here, but it’s hard to come by. Local total wine gets one or two shipments a month. Sounds like you have to be lucky to score a bottle.

Jefferson's Ocean

Bookers

Woodford Reserve

Basil Haydens

Jim Beam Red Stag - when feeling cheap. Great with ginger ale though

By price:

Buffalo trace is about as good as cheap bourbon gets; should be around $23. Very smooth and drinkable.

Next tier is Elijah Craig, Makers' Mark, etc.

Next tier is Woodford Reserve, in one of the premium pours, or Angel's Envy.

Next tier is Willett. One of my favorite bourbons at any price.

Next tier is Blanton's. My other favorite bourbon at any price.

Above that, you get into Rip van Winkle, Pappy, etc. Delicious, but not worth the price.

If you are mixing with coke, hard to beat black label Evan Williams, if your drinking better bourbon, leave the coke in the fridge. I'm a Bulliet fan, like it in a chilled glass. Woodford, Elijah Craig, Knob Creek, Larceny, Makers Mark, all good. Anything over 90 proof gets a little ice. Buffaloe Trace hard to find around here, and they charge a premium for it. Its good, just not $35+ bottle good. Ive had Willet, its pretty good. The Woodford double oak is the best I've had in a while. I drink way too much to keep expensive stuff around

Buffalo Trace is good stuff. They make BT, Eagle Rare, Blantons and Pappy at that distillery. It is worth a tour if you are in the area. :Pappy Van Winkle is brewed by them at the family's behest.

Cheap to me is $40 or less. My subjective list of "good" and "cheap" bourbons:

Wild Turkey 101
Elija Craig Small Batch
Michter's (bourbon, American, and sour mash are all awesome and cheap)
Buffalo Trace (this is like $30 here)
Maker's Mark 46

Bump up the dollhairs a few and pick up a Woodford Double Oaked for about $60 here. These are all very drinkable neat, on ice, and I don't feel bad mixing them into pop. The 101 and ECSB are by far the best value to me, MM 46 is right behind them. So tasty.

Wanted the wife to pick up some Woodford Reserve, but they were out. Had her grab Four Roses. Hope I didn’t fuck that up.

Grabbed this on a whim the other day...little young ( 2 year), but very good. Was $29

photo46124.jpg

Wanted the wife to pick up some Woodford Reserve, but they were out. Had her grab Four Roses. Hope I didn’t fuck that up.

It depends what you like. I don't like Woodford's standard bourbon myself. Nor Four Roses regular stuff. Four Roses single barrel is markedly better, I enjoyed a bottle. All subjective, of course. Four Roses is a little "hot" to me, burny and spicy.

It depends what you like. I don't like Woodford's standard bourbon myself. Nor Four Roses regular stuff. Four Roses single barrel is markedly better, I enjoyed a bottle. All subjective, of course. Four Roses is a little "hot" to me, burny and spicy.

Very new to bourbon, so I am experimenting. I guess I will decide for myself tonight.

Four Roses Small Batch is good, Elija Craig, Woodford Reserve. All good and reasonably priced. Bulleit and Knob Creek are good

cheap my go to is old Forrester, Weller if I am spending a little more

I have been enjoying Longbranch by Wild Turkey. Good either straight or mixed.

Real nice in hot weather mixed 50/50 with dry ginger ale and ice in a 7oz beer flute.

I’m a bourbon guy, I’ll have a glass a night and like variety.

1792 is my go to favorite and the least expensive good one $28 bucks

they are all expensive after that IMO.

Buffalo Trace
Makers Mark

Some of the expensive ones taste like shit to me so I’m lucky.

They all suck untill YOU pass judgment.
makers
4 roses single
ANYTHING doyle
​(pappy)

Top Back Refresh