What's new

The Atomic Bomb, Collective Sin, and the rise of the Anti-Hero in America; or John Wayne vs. Clint Eastwood

IowaOffRoad

King shit of turd island
BRC
Member Number
Loc
Under the apple tree
I’ve been doing some thinking lately, specifically regarding Tucker Carleson’s recent claims and beliefs regarding the ‘sinful’ nature of our country’s conduct around WW2 and since. I don’t want to make this about Tucker. I don’t share his opinion regarding the “rightness” of some of the US’s actions during war, nor do I think that doing specific harm on a large scale is “evil” unless the context is evil (as in, dropping the A-bomb, firebombing on a large scale) unless the aims are evil (rounding up and exterminating populations of people). That said, I think he’s put a finger on something that IS a problem with the psyche of America post-WW2: How do we recon our ability/necessity with waging destruction on a large scale with the inherent morality of collateral damage on a large scale baked in?

While thinking about this, it occurred to me that the fictional hero that resonated with the American public changed after WW2. Gone fairly quickly was the “white hat” cowboy or lawman personified in John Wayne, in came “the man with no name” and Dirty Harry. Characters who were definitely not “good” people, but people who were willing to do bad things for the sake of good. Yes, the Duke would play similar characters later in his career, but him and his contemporaries were basically playing pure good-pure evil prior to WW2 with no nuance. The explosion of the anti-hero after WW2 makes me wonder: was this a reaction to our own feelings of guilt over winning the right war the wrong way? Have we now and since looked at ourselves as a nation as a bad actor with good motives? Ever since this occurred to me I haven’t shaken this idea that we are all still struggling with the dichotomy of trying to be good, but sometimes having to do bad things for the sake of good.

If you look at the modern conception of this, look at the MCU. There is one supposedly “pure American” embodied in Captain America, but he’s perceived as being naïve to Stark’s practical, pragmatic good guy. Many drama’s have to have a hero with major skeletons in their closet. Anything with a pure hero protagonist is viewed as childish or corny.

Now, life is more complex than “good guy/bad guy”, but it does seem that the hero myths a society adopts is reflective of its deeper culture.

Probably should have dropped this in 486’s I hate thinking thread.:laughing:

hey guess what
took the time to kinda halfway read that
wowe such words much thinke doge

anyways
of course we have brainwashing which coincides with the rise of moral relativism
large scale shifts in ethos are always programmed and unnatural

if you had the ability to lead the cattle you would, too

I don’t think it’s top down propaganda, I think it’s bottom up propaganda. I actually think collective American mind has trouble being “bad guy” even if the goal is somewhat pure. I think it’s the same psychological justification that drove the southerners from considering slavery “necessary evil“ to several generations later justifying their untenable position with a superiority/inferiority narrative

Young people/young countries grow up. WW2 was a huge 'grow up' moment for the US. In that growing up, we learned we had to make sacrifices to meet goals. We had real hand to hand combat, very hard choices and very adult things happen that, for many, caused them to see the 'anti hero' as more palpable than the sacharine sweetness of a protagonist without fault.

We wanted lead characters to more closely reflect who we were... guys who'd grown up mostly innocent, but called to do a job, and in the course of that job, we had to face some realities and some situations where the options were a hobson's choice vs. real choices.

But, even with the advent of the anti hero, romanticism is still king in the western world. If you want to read more about the question you are talking about you might like a book by a guy named Leslie Fiedler called 'Love and death in the american novel'.

Essentially, we still pretty much demand that good win out over evil and that the good guy walks away the good guy.

Even in a story like Cormac McCarthy No country for old men (which is a good example of this) the hero is not the poor slob who took the money. but our old friend (and Al Gore's college roommate) Tommy Lee Jones who is conflicted by the shortcuts he's taken in life and in his work, the price it took, and the uncomfortable misgivings he has about his life.... with the surety of hunting down a monster.

That the monster is done in largely by accident is testament to that whole notion... not of an active universe, but that everyone gets collected in the machine....

American film (and literature) has played a key role in world wide film and literatture over the past century or so.... it is watching the changes in how we portray narratives and the smudging of the white hat, the rip and tear in the blue jeans and the restless souls of the people who took action and did something to resolve a conflict that make it interesting.

I could imagine a world in 200 years that deifies some of the most notorious criminals in light of shifting moral senseibilities.

Last edited:
If you look at the modern conception of this, look at the MCU. There is one supposedly “pure American” embodied in Captain America, but he’s perceived as being naïve to Stark’s practical, pragmatic good guy. Many drama’s have to have a hero with major skeletons in their closet. Anything with a pure hero protagonist is viewed as childish or corny.

I might tend toward people simply wanting a more realistic storyline, with characters that are a bit flawed, simply because it better matches real life, so is more relatable. I dont relate to pre-90s Superman, all good, all ethical, shiny and clean. I bet Hollyweird found that people started rooting for the evil characters cause... more relatable. I dont have any data to back it up, but I would guess the flawed hero or anti-hero had more draw and more profit.

We see the same thing in military movies. You remember any movies showing negative view of US troops in WW2 until recently? Compare that to the desert wars and those movies. I really think the appetite of viewers, and the story expectations of the viewers has matured to expect more than simple candyland plots.

I am not discounting the infuence of bad actors pushing social change from top or bottom. Certainly a thing.

The superhero with skeletons or mental stability issues.... Anyone who becomes a superhero has got to have some major flaw of some sort. Otherwise, wouldnt everyone become a superhero? We cant have a society full of superheros cause commonplace doesnt get viewers. Gotta keep em rare and special, right?

One of the concerns I have is that we seem to push the anti-hero mode too far. We pushed it so far that the villains are now heroes. The heroes are now villains. Everything anybody tries to do that’s good or helpful is perceived as having ulterior motives and everyone that is doing things that are bad are doing it because they’ve been slighted in some way or just trying to make the world a better place.

One of the concerns I have is that we seem to push the anti-hero mode too far. We pushed it so far that the villains are now heroes. The heroes are now villains. Everything anybody tries to do that’s good or helpful is perceived as having ulterior motives and everyone that is doing things that are bad are doing it because they’ve been slighted in some way or just trying to make the world a better place.
what better way to get people doubting themselves when they start to think that clown world is fucked up

all that gaslighting type shit

Absolutely. The Joker is currently on trial and half the nation is rooting for him, while everyone else is kind of confused.

hey guess what
took the time to kinda halfway read that
wowe such words much thinke doge

anyways
of course we have brainwashing which coincides with the rise of moral relativism
large scale shifts in ethos are always programmed and unnatural

if you had the ability to lead the cattle you would, too

Kinda like the Japanese civil population after two cities were blown completely away and their nation humbled in total, complete humiliating defeat. There "moral relativism" was programmed and unatural ? Brainwashed ? Or simply trying to survive and find shelter and something to eat ?

doggee style - giz

I might tend toward people simply wanting a more realistic storyline, with characters that are a bit flawed, simply because it better matches real life, so is more relatable. I dont relate to pre-90s Superman, all good, all ethical, shiny and clean. I bet Hollyweird found that people started rooting for the evil characters cause... more relatable. I dont have any data to back it up, but I would guess the flawed hero or anti-hero had more draw and more profit.

We see the same thing in military movies. You remember any movies showing negative view of US troops in WW2 until recently? Compare that to the desert wars and those movies. I really think the appetite of viewers, and the story expectations of the viewers has matured to expect more than simple candyland plots.

I am not discounting the infuence of bad actors pushing social change from top or bottom. Certainly a thing.

The superhero with skeletons or mental stability issues.... Anyone who becomes a superhero has got to have some major flaw of some sort. Otherwise, wouldnt everyone become a superhero? We cant have a society full of superheros cause commonplace doesnt get viewers. Gotta keep em rare and special, right?

one of the lines that always sticks with me is--->

The very thing that makes you rich, makes you poor.

What makes us great is also our complete undoing.

My friend the psychologist tells me that human being are constantly in a state of self destruction... the only actual enemy we have is ourselves... pretty massive thing to consider, eh?

Too deep for me. I read a shitload of new fiction. American patriot type heroes that aren't squeamish about achieving the desired ends are pretty common. The gray man, Ex seal James Reece, etc. There are series with old school good guys, Longmire and CJ Box's Joe Pickett come to mind. Joe Picket does have a Ruthless friend that takes ears, etc.

So many books are about Ruthless serial killers, yet how many truly evil people do you come across in real life?

The Shadow knows.

:flipoff2:

We are in the dying throws of an aristocratic society. The end is rapidly approaching. In these scenarios a Tyrant usually appears in order to either subsume the weak and demoralized society (Stalin) or a truly dedicated member of the society at hand emerges (Caesar). The other option is a decay into eventual foreign dominance.

Tucker's point in the dropping of the bomb was our transition as a society from believing in God to believing we are god. I think its an imperfect marker for our transition into our now post-aristocratic society, which as predicted by Plato and Nietzsche, would produce decadent works of art. Tucker laments the lack of Architecture, but we cant deny that the time period from 1968-1990-ish produced great works of art that have shaped human kind's existence. Such examples are found in our American contribution to music, literature and cinema.

The point i am making in this thread, is that the concept of "good" or "bad" is irrelevant. It is a question of the political will to preserve our culture and the lengths we would go to do so. The goodness or badness of those actions will be self-evident after-the-fact.

But, i struggle with the issue that i dont see a will of our people to survive. One side is content to torment the other, while the other can meekly muster the will to be "left alone". Trump will never safe anyone from anything in this scenario and the only hope we have is that the machine tears it all down to prevent his second term. Which i would hope would kick off our second reckoning, but i have little hope.

one of the lines that always sticks with me is--->

The very thing that makes you rich, makes you poor.

What makes us great is also our complete undoing.

My friend the psychologist tells me that human being are constantly in a state of self destruction... the only actual enemy we have is ourselves... pretty massive thing to consider, eh?

Maybe, somewhat. But if your nature is to always tear down, we wouldnt create the towers of civilization we have managed to build. Any time someone figured an advancement, the other cavemen would take it and devolve back to throwing stones. While I have no doubt that we constantly battle with the animal sides within us, clearly our progress shows we are generally not falling into that void, at least not all the time. There are certainly cycles of human progression where advancement occurs followed by backsliding. Rome grew, timed out and collapsed. But the collapses are not as deep as the progression side, so we generally advance.

Periodic and partial undoing. Not complete undoing.

I have said very similar things about Disney.

The whole anit hero I believe is about trying to relate to, or include more people.

take someone like captain america, Perfect example of someone we should all strive to be like. But most of us realize very early in our adult life we have screwed up to bad to lead a perceived life like that.

the Anit hero allows us to be a bad person, like how many of us view ourselves, yet can still be a hero or do great things. It is something people can relate to and believe in.

Maybe it is brain washing, Or maybe it is just writers understanding people better and finding ways to relate to them better.
of course they are only doing this to increase movie attendance and make money but it works.

Couple good examples of this, Top Gun. When the second came out, if you read the reviews they were actually really bad. I was scrolling through reviews and kind of leaning towards not seeing it. Then I came across one guy that says, this movie is exactly what america needs right now.
He was right. It is a feel good movie. Just like the first one. Chick flick for men.

Disney has destroyed the narrative. Look at Star Wars. Simple Good vs evil. Good wins. The is a shining model of how society is supposed to be. Or what it used to be here in the usa.
but Disney got ahold of it and now the bad guy can become the hero.
I hate that. Why then would someone strive their whole life to be a good person, do good things when we are taught that you can become the good guy whenever you want?

There is good and there is evil in the world. We should never say evil is okay.

War is evil, but sometimes it must be fought.

Maybe, somewhat. But if your nature is to always tear down, we wouldnt create the towers of civilization we have managed to build. Any time someone figured an advancement, the other cavemen would take it and devolve back to throwing stones. While I have no doubt that we constantly battle with the animal sides within us, clearly our progress shows we are generally not falling into that void, at least not all the time. There are certainly cycles of human progression where advancement occurs followed by backsliding. Rome grew, timed out and collapsed. But the collapses are not as deep as the progression side, so we generally advance.

Periodic and partial undoing. Not complete undoing.

great post. My friend the psychologist is talking about ourselves. We are our own worst enemy. He wasn't talking about tearing down culture or society.

When we just try to preserve what we have, we shrink. I had a track coach who used to tell me, don't try to beat the other guy, try to achieve a personal best every time you step on the track. At the time I was our best 1320 runner (we didn't do the mile in junior high) and all I wanted to do was win and keep a perfect streak of wins.

He changed my mind and, in many ways, changed me. That idea to quit just beating people and instead push myself everytime was a big change.

I think for our homes, towns, states, nations and the world to be better, we need to grow and build and strive not to keep what we have but to make it a whole hell of a lot better.

Our mistake (USA) after World War II was that we did the marshall plan for those we defeated when we should have continued that work and done a Marshall plan for ourselves.

Another mistake we make is short sighted embargoes and wheeler dealer political deals. When we made shady deals with Russia back in the 70's to sell grain at prices that were aided by subsidy (from us) to get them dependent on our grain, then we embargo the same grain wiping out farmers who had hyperextended themselves to take advantage of the bonanza... we set the seeds of discontent that led to where we are today.

We need to build, expand and grow and do things better than we ever have... we cannot do 'just as well as the old days' because we need to learn from the mistakes we made back then that impact us now.

I am not discounting the influence of bad actors pushing social change from top or bottom. Certainly a thing.

The superhero with skeletons or mental stability issues.... Anyone who becomes a superhero has got to have some major flaw of some sort. Otherwise, wouldnt everyone become a superhero? We cant have a society full of superheros cause commonplace doesn't get viewers. Gotta keep em rare and special, right?
Off the cuff book/movie that was WWI, WWII antiwar? How about "A quiet on the western front" 1930, "Journeys End", "4 Horsemen of the Apocalypse" 1924, "Casablanca" 1942 yes the one with Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman done just before Pearl Harbor but released after. All of those are antiwar in the generic sense not necessarily addressing US soldiers specifically.

However the primary difference between WWII and recent is Pearl Harbor. Attitude changed dramatically after that and changed the perceptions of US citizens...and it changed again to some extent with Korea and definitely with Viet Nam ala "Mash", "Apocalypse Now and "Full Metal Jacket" to name a couple anti war flicks .

Slight derail but related. If war becomes necessary to stop a great evil, I am a scorched earth believer to an extent. If we take off the restrictive ROE that are intended to protect civilians and bystanders we could end many of these things much quicker. I wonder what the collateral damage difference would be comparing the way we do it now versus the WWII method of doing the fastest method to achieve the end. Would more bystanders die in a fast, massive assault vs a prolonged approach like Afghanistan was. 20 years of fighting without really accomplishing goals kills a lot of civilians vs immediate destruction of the enemies ability to respond even if some civilians die.

Some examples; the bombing of German manufacturing especially Dresden, Sherman's march to the sea, atomic bombing of japan.

So, leave everyone alone until war is the only option then end it the fastest most efficient way possible short of nukes. Fuck what the rest of the world thinks.

Slight derail but related. If war becomes necessary to stop a great evil, I am a scorched earth believer to an extent. If we take off the restrictive ROE that are intended to protect civilians and bystanders we could end many of these things much quicker. I wonder what the collateral damage difference would be comparing the way we do it now versus the WWII method of doing the fastest method to achieve the end. Would more bystanders die in a fast, massive assault vs a prolonged approach like Afghanistan was. 20 years of fighting without really accomplishing goals kills a lot of civilians vs immediate destruction of the enemies ability to respond even if some civilians die.

Some examples; the bombing of German manufacturing especially Dresden, Sherman's march to the sea, atomic bombing of japan.

So, leave everyone alone until war is the only option then end it the fastest most efficient way possible short of nukes. Fuck what the rest of the world thinks.
The Dresden fire bombing was the US puffing out it's chest for the Russians to see.

The A-bombs were also linked to the thousands of Allied POW's that were slated to be massacred. Truman, was like "No, you first".

I’ve been doing some thinking lately, specifically regarding Tucker Carleson’s recent claims and beliefs regarding the ‘sinful’ nature of our country’s conduct around WW2 and since. I don’t want to make this about Tucker. I don’t share his opinion regarding the “rightness” of some of the US’s actions during war, nor do I think that doing specific harm on a large scale is “evil” unless the context is evil (as in, dropping the A-bomb, firebombing on a large scale) unless the aims are evil (rounding up and exterminating populations of people). That said, I think he’s put a finger on something that IS a problem with the psyche of America post-WW2: How do we recon our ability/necessity with waging destruction on a large scale with the inherent morality of collateral damage on a large scale baked in?

While thinking about this, it occurred to me that the fictional hero that resonated with the American public changed after WW2. Gone fairly quickly was the “white hat” cowboy or lawman personified in John Wayne, in came “the man with no name” and Dirty Harry. Characters who were definitely not “good” people, but people who were willing to do bad things for the sake of good. Yes, the Duke would play similar characters later in his career, but him and his contemporaries were basically playing pure good-pure evil prior to WW2 with no nuance. The explosion of the anti-hero after WW2 makes me wonder: was this a reaction to our own feelings of guilt over winning the right war the wrong way? Have we now and since looked at ourselves as a nation as a bad actor with good motives? Ever since this occurred to me I haven’t shaken this idea that we are all still struggling with the dichotomy of trying to be good, but sometimes having to do bad things for the sake of good.

Now, life is more complex than “good guy/bad guy”, but it does seem that the hero myths a society adopts is reflective of its deeper culture.

Probably should have dropped this in 486’s I hate thinking thread.:laughing:
Its because a "bad" guy struggling with his own demons and transforming into a force for good is more interesting and layered and sells more tickets than a good guy doing good guy things, movie ends.

Its because a "bad" guy struggling with his own demons and transforming into a force for good is more interesting and layered and sells more tickets than a good guy doing good guy things, movie ends.
I agree with this. That being said, a culture still needs some pure heroes to look up to. It doesn’t have to be all good guy with no tarnish ever, but the culture seems to abandon those completely

I agree with this. That being said, a culture still needs some pure heroes to look up to. It doesn’t have to be all good guy with no tarnish ever, but the culture seems to abandon those completely

They bring up a good point in there as a rags to riches story is inherently American. It shows there is opportunity to succeed regardless of the situation, people just born with greatness just be sure is very monarchial, almost un American if you think about it.

So all you people saying you like only good guy stories can take your Yankee asses back to Britain and bend the knee to the royal family :flipoff2:

My Grandpa drank Scotch with John Wayne back in the day
John pulled his boat up next to Gpa's commercial boat and tied up

cool story?

I'm writing a science fiction novel in my spare time. The main character is something of a tarnished hero anyway. But my hope is it pisses off most of the people who read it when they find out in the end he is actually the bad guy and they have been rooting for him for about 400 pages.:flipoff2:

I'm writing a science fiction novel in my spare time. The main character is something of a tarnished hero anyway. But my hope is it pisses off most of the people who read it when they find out in the end he is actually the bad guy and they have been rooting for him for about 400 pages.:flipoff2:
So you are writing a Lex Luthor origin story? Its been done:flipoff2:

Top Back Refresh