What's new

TG 4.7 Gears Carnage pics

rattlewagon

shitboxin
Member Number
Loc
Northfield Vermont
After 5 years, the TG 4.7 gears gave up last weekend. Trucks quick specs are 3.0-2.28/4.7- 4.10 difs and some 38 tsls.

VCN8v9Bl.jpg

lq3ZCOPl.jpg

hR8ddYml.jpg

6Ja6mrNl.jpg

I was able to still drive out with the rear case in high, but it was still very crunchy.

I have a set of 4.7 sumo gears on the way to replace them.

I’d say you need axle gearing with those tires but if it lasted 5 years fuck it. It would help take stress off the t cases.

Same thing with my verso duals in an old taco.
Could you share the sumo gears info?
Click image for larger version  Name:	20191006_141143.jpg Views:	0 Size:	394.8 KB ID:	107155

Last edited:
I’d say you need axle gearing with those tires but if it lasted 5 years fuck it. It would help take stress off the t cases.

I agree. I have a bunch of drivetrain movement too. Motor mounts are through bolted, and t case has 2 TB bomb proof mounts, but I can *see" its stressed. I was saving some money for diff gears.. but thats going into t case gears now. le sigh.

I think Advance Adapters brings in the SUMO line. I have their 23 spline input gear in the front case currently (2 years now), so figured id try the gear set.

https://www.advanceadapters.com/prod...-23spl-input-/

$600? I remember when 4.7s where $350 a set and a 23 spline adapter was $270.:frown:

Honestly, I have only heard of two TG gear set failing. Well, three now.

You guys see this often with the TG gears? and honestly, the 4.11 gears are not helping for the OP so there could be a little shared blame for those gears.

I have the Marlin Comps so doesn't matter to me. Just curious.

That looks like a failed bearing to me.

Was that a common thing with the lefty and verso cases? They only guy I personally know with one had something similar happen. They did discontinue them...?
​​​​
​​​​

This was a test mule build mat sold...
make your own decisions....
I may speculate this issue was caused by mat NOT hardening the cut down gear...
But nonetheless FUKK TRAIL MART!
BUILT AMERICAN drivetrains FOREVER!
​​

This was a test mule build mat sold...
make your own decisions....
I may speculate this issue was caused by mat NOT hardening the cut down gear...
But nonetheless FUKK TRAIL MART!
BUILT AMERICAN drivetrains FOREVER!
​​

English? My first set of dual t cases I built in 2006 has 2 of their 23 spline inputs, their 23 spline adapter and their 4.7 gears. That setup is still going today with no problems in a friends truck. It also has an OG Bobby Long output in it.

Last edited:
Ok
SO???
my duals in the 83 circa 2000 still work!
The verso t case grenaded!
Had no miles on it!
Fukk trailmart!
Marlin is outta stock!
American vendors have product!

I love my yota, h8 the fukkin vendors!
I have an in with the stealership and still am fed up with the japs!
China? Really dont ask!
rant over...

Ok
SO???
Had no miles on it!
Fukk trailmart!
Marlin is outta stock!

China? Really dont ask!
rant over...

The reason I had all trail mart shit in mine was because someone at Marlin, Big Mike, I believe flat out lied to me on the phone and made me wait a month on something that was in stock at All Pro.

It really sux to only have 2 serious vendors and yet jeep guys just open a book and order off the shelf (mostly), I heard somewhere jim was gunna get back into it...

Marlin is really messing up not having the basics like dual case adapters and 4.7 gears in stock at all times. They are strange and I guess naive to this? They are still spending a lot of money trying to develop other products, like the newer ifs kits, which I don't think you can buy yet either.

I don't get it.

IIRC the early tcase adapter plates had oiling issues, which was corrected in the later version, When I switched from the original adapter plate to the Marlin 10* (not lefty) Marlin said the oiling issue had been corrected.

The 10* adapter and a Front range rear t case mount (replaces the low hanging tcase mount) gave me an almost flat belly.
xmemskid_005_crossmember_800__33255.1416354164.1280.1280.jpg?c=2.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	xmemskid_005_crossmember_800__33255.1416354164.1280.1280.jpg?c=2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	46.4 KB ID:	111050

The Inchworm prerunner adapter was another nice piece that allowed use of 2wd autos.
Obviously this is all old man pre trailmart tech from days gone by:flipoff2:

Back when the sport was hot, and eager to grow.
Now mci is to big for their britches, wasting time on "might sell" junk and ignoring bonafied (sp) product sales!
I really appreciate them sending me a t case rebuild kit ( still no snap rings ) missing a bearing' and when I called them about it being told "yes we have a few missing that bearing here on the shelf" and then being asked for a pic of the missing bearing as proof!
W.T.F.

Marlin is really messing up not having the basics like dual case adapters and 4.7 gears in stock at all times. They are strange and I guess naive to this? They are still spending a lot of money trying to develop other products, like the newer ifs kits, which I don't think you can buy yet either.

I don't get it.

That would be Big Mike running his father’s company into the fucking ground. Last time I spent money with them was 2007. I had to order a knuckle rebuild kit because no one else had them in stock. I could really use one of those 2wd adapters right now.

Last edited:
I have two friends who both broke their Trail Gear 4.7 gears. Same break on both sets. The counter shaft stripped. Looks just like rattlewagons first picture. One broke them at Fordyce, the other at Hammers. I only have pics of the one from Hammers. Both rigs had 60 fronts and 14 bolt rears. One was on 44s and the other was on 42s and both had full exo cages. Over the years I seen waaay more Trail Gear 4.7s breaking over Marlins 4.7s. And all the Trail Gear sets I've seen break, break the same way. Stripped countershaft. Anyone seen them break differently?

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0055.JPG Views:	24 Size:	237.5 KB ID:	111085

Last edited:
IIRC the early tcase adapter plates had oiling issues, which was corrected in the later version, When I switched from the original adapter plate to the Marlin 10* (not lefty) Marlin said the oiling issue had been corrected.

The 10* adapter and a Front range rear t case mount (replaces the low hanging tcase mount) gave me an almost flat belly.

The Inchworm prerunner adapter was another nice piece that allowed use of 2wd autos.
Obviously this is all old man pre trailmart tech from days gone by:flipoff2:

Those rear plates will cause other issues, mine cracked the 2nd to rear housing. The best design is the all poo that also grabs the stock mounts. I always wanted to run that one with a separate full belly pan.

That would be Big Mike running his father’s company into the fucking ground. Last time I spent money with them was 2007. I had to order a knuckle rebuild kit because no one else had them in stock. I could really use one of those 2wd adapters right now.

Ya, he's totally oblivious to this. He thinks people will wait for the better product. When in reality 9/10 won't. And 8/9 will never have an issue with the TG junk.

I ran a full belly skidplate and I run a full belly skidplate on my Sami, any aluminum tcase will crack if you land on it.

Over the years I seen waaay more Trail Gear 4.7s breaking over Marlins 4.7s.

You’ve seen way more broken Trail gear 4.7s broken because that’s what people are running. Marlins shit has been out of stock for years. Marlin can shove that total spline input up his asshole. :laughing:

Those rear plates will cause other issues, mine cracked the 2nd to rear housing. The best design is the all poo that also grabs the stock mounts. I always wanted to run that one with a separate full belly pan.

Yep, I've got one cracked from the same mount.

Personally, I dont think it's from the actual mount style, but stiff poly bushing on the rear and stock MMs. The skid plate tying the two cases together really emphasizes the second to rear piece that it bolts to as the fuse.

Ran a pre trailmart Front Range rear mount for 7 years without issue albeit it was cut down width wise to fit a Sami frame, never an issue, full skidplate and regular case checks with a torque wrench.
Motor was a 2 coil 2rz on solid mounts. a43d no puter 4 speed 2wd auto. Inchworm prerunner, 4.7 marlin gears in the back case. toy axles, 39.5 isuks.

Last edited:

I don't get it.

I agree that it's an oversight. That said there are only so many of these old Yotas on the trail now. everywhere I turn here in CO I see a second or third gen Tacoma on 35s

Ok
SO???
Had no miles on it!
Fukk trailmart!
Marlin is outta stock!

China? Really dont ask!
rant over...

Maybe head over to chitchat with this shit.

I don't get it.

I haven't ordered a damn thing from Marlin in a long time. They just don't have anything I need and things I wanted they stopped making.

So why did Jim at Inchworm get out of the business? Someone go knock on his door and tell him we need some fucking adapters!

Reactions: Clb
Jim sold the business to Low Range years ago, then they sold out to Trail Gear.

Unfortunately as there are less toyotas out their there will be less options. Who is going to build a business around selling a few adapters a year?

Top Back Refresh