What's new

Texas Style BBQ

Or hit it with a Rosebud tip. Burn that shit off

I hit it with my big plumbing torch today (only thing I've got that puts out a decent sized flame) around where I'm going to weld the chimney on and that shit's some kinda fire retardant to boot, it softens but won't burn and you've got to scrape it off with pretty quickly or it hardens again.

Feed and vent the round end and keep the smoke going in..a bit hard to feed evenly.
side door leaks smoke(and heat) easy to feed

Last edited:
Feed and vent the round end and keep the smoke going in..a bit hard to feed evenly.
side door leaks smoke(and heat) easy to feed

Those were pretty much my thoughts. I'm planning on sealing the door in some way if that makes any difference to the choice?

Air intake on end.
feed door on side.
Better control of airflow and ya can prod the pile easier.
My .02
We GOTTA have some high end guys here to set the records right fer ya tho...

Air intake on end.
feed door on side.
Better control of airflow and ya can prod the pile easier.
My .02
We GOTTA have some high end guys here to set the records right fer ya tho...

From a fab perspective that's certainly the simplest and I can't see why that shouldn't be pretty darn good from a functional perspective but I'm no expert hence the question.
I picked up 40" of 4" diameter 1/8" wall tube for the chimney today so I'll get that installed before I make any cuts on the fire box to see if any of the rest of the hive mind has any other ideas.

Slowly progressing. Welded the chimney on, cut the fire box door and had a quick burn to try losen the powder coating. Managed to scrape a fair bit off while it was hot but still need to do another burn to catch the rest.
IMG_20200612_141132616_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200616_130839084_HDR.jpg

With that done I've now cut the main door, added a grease dam and heat deflector.

IMG_20200617_113540111_HDR.jpg
Grease dam:
IMG_20200617_113544628.jpg
Heat deflector:
IMG_20200617_114953737_HDR.jpg
Typically it has pissed down overnight and I'd not covered it :homer: giving my grease dam an unintentional testing. At least it works 🤷‍♂️
:flipoff2: :lmao:

Lookin good, question, what's the thought on mounting the chimney down low (checking my math)?

Lookin good, question, what's the thought on mounting the chimney down low (checking my math)?

Suck the hot air along the grill rather than above it. Also got a 4ft chimney for plenty of draw.

Reactions: Clb
Suck the hot air along the grill rather than above it. Also got a 4ft chimney for plenty of draw.

you're length is fine but you need to be doing calcs for your opening to draw to your outlet. outlet opening needs to be bigger than your inlet.

you're length is fine but you need to be doing calcs for your opening to draw to your outlet. outlet opening needs to be bigger than your inlet.

Fawk calculations :flipoff2: I'm just gluing metal together and seeing what happens :homer:

You can always grind it off. :flipoff2:

Found a online calculator when doing mine. It’s a easy way to make sure everything will work.

Which one? Might do the math for shits and giggles and see how close my eyeballing and assumptions are.

The main door sprung back when I cut it open so a couple of gussets were required to hold it in shape
IMG_20200622_155635555_HDR.jpg
Added the seals, just need to do the handles, strip the rest of the powder coating and give it a lick of paint
IMG_20200622_155653751_HDR.jpg

Do you get to smoke beef in NZ?
Thought you were partial to sheep
:flipoff2:

Sheep, cows, pigs, deer, anything that doesn't move fast enough really :flipoff2:
I'm living in England these days though, so might have to see how good Aberdeen Angus beef is :smokin:

Top Back Refresh