What's new

Teraflex CRD Semi Float Rear 60 wheel/axle bearing issues

truckin222

Highway Miles
Member Number
Hi all,

So, a bit of back story.
my buddy traded into a 2016 JK 4 door with a bunch of bolt on stuff.
Including a set of Teraflex axles. 5 bolt unit bearing front and 5 bolt semi float rear.
They guy he got it from had "just done" the pass side rear wheel bearing and the drivers side rear was gushing oil.
I pulled the driver side shaft, cut off the bearing/seal and pressed on a new one.
It had obviously been done before, the retaining plate was all bent up and general hackness in the assembly of the whole thing...
Now I've never done a SF 60 but I've done plenty of D44 10/12 bold and Chrysler axles. Did it the same way as I always have with good results.

Fast forward 2k miles or so. the pass side that was "just done" is fckn gushing and making noise and the driver side that I really did just do is leaking a little.
i pulled the wheels and the pass side obviously needs done and the driver has a little axial and radial play and leaking from the shaft seal...

Questions are:
Treaflex lists the part # for the bearing/seal as 3000620 and a parts warehouse # as SET20. The closest thing from NAPA is BR20.

Any tips for replacing these bearings to not fck em up during install? I pressed the bearing and the press ring on all at once. This time I'll likely do 'em one at a time.
I took the time to "flex" the axle out to run oil down to the bearing after install. Idk wtf...

At this point it had 3 sets of bearings on the drivers side and 2 or 3 sets on the pass side and needs another set. Jeep has 130k and these axles haven't gone that whole distance so IDK...

Any help would be appreciated. I've got my own junk to work on that all have FF rear axles as God intended...

Attachments

• 999249 (Tera60 and CRD60 Axle Assemblies Information and Instructions).pdf
    3.5 MB · Views: 9
Edit to add these screen shots
also feel free to move to newb or Jeep if that's more appropriate.
I just wanted as many eyes as possible on this so I can make it go away...

Attachments

• IMG_3931.jpeg
    IMG_3931.jpeg
    190.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3932.jpeg
    IMG_3932.jpeg
    435.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3933.jpeg
    IMG_3933.jpeg
    440.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3926.jpeg
    IMG_3926.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 10
I had similar issues in a TJ Dana 44. The axle shop said that the semi-float seals and bearings constantly going out is sometimes a symptom of a bent housing. That was true on my 44 but that was a weak housing.

I also noticed that my bearing retainers would bend even when torqued to spec which caused the bearings to be loose and the seals to get bent out of shape. Never quite figured that out but you can check for axle end play when you get it back together it should have very little to no play.

For sure the bearing retainer was bent on the side I had apart. I pressed out the studs and straightened it in the press. Probably 90% or better flat.
I haven't pulled it apart yet to see if it's bent again. I'd be shocked if the other side plate isn't also bent.
This thing is pretty stout looking but i guess the housing could be bent.
I'm basically positive He'd sell this thing before fucking with a housing swap.

The br20 is the same bearing in amc 20 one piece axle bearings. I had same issue I machined my own axle ends and retubed the housing. Always having failed seals and bearings. Checked runout at axle flange with an indicator. I think they just aren’t robust enough.

Top Back Refresh