What's new

Talk me out of buying this

Crashhawk

That Guy
Member Number
Loc
Ky
Been half assed looking at cheaper mdt or hdts to pull my gooseneck with. Ran across this 97 international 4700 looks like a dt466e and unknown auto, looks to have been a furniture delivery van cut down and started conversion. I'd rather have a mechanical 466 and a manual, but the price is right. I know it's gonna be slow, but otherwise why should I run?
Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_1568.PNG Views:	0 Size:	1.19 MB ID:	291722
Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_1567.PNG Views:	0 Size:	2.37 MB ID:	291723
Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_1569.PNG Views:	0 Size:	2.96 MB ID:	291724

Last edited:
Verify the motor and trans.

Short of being sluggish (depending on trans) should be a getter with no loaded chassis weight

Trans is prob a alison 3060 or near variant

Its going to be a slug, any modern diesel will run circles around it.
I abandoned MDT's due to the insurance and registration costs on them. Around here it is around $4k a year for tags.

Its going to be a slug, any modern diesel will run circles around it.
I abandoned MDT's due to the insurance and registration costs on them. Around here it is around $4k a year for tags.

This one is already titled as an RV which saves me the trouble. Gonna have to look into ins and tags on Monday.

Currently I'm pulling a 40ft goose with a 3/4 ton qcsb dodge. It works, but I feel like I'm over working my rig. I feel like slow won't bother me as much as sketchy. This thing isn't something I NEED, but if it's mechanically sound and not a time bomb I may give it a go.

Last edited:
I have drove several trucks very similar to that one as far as drivetrain is concerned. It was not pulling a trailer, but was heavy since it was an armored truck. It was not terribly slow, but I'm not 100% sure what the actual weight was.

Those era 466s are solid, but take some test strips and check the DCA. Last thing you want to do is replace pitted liners. Otherwise rods and mains @ 500k and keep rolling. Air governors also like to go out. IIRC they came in 180 and 210?

They're tractors. Rough, crude, but get the job done. Most are RPM limited to 65 or so. It's a truck I would buy to put a monkey in a churn a profit, not something I'd want for myself.

Last edited:
I'd make sure it doesn't have 5.57s or some crazy in town delivery truck/dump truck ratio in the rear and would cruise at 65-70 and send it.
it cost me regular RV plates and insurance for my uhaul. It was like $200 a year.

I'd make sure it doesn't have 5.57s or some crazy in town delivery truck/dump truck ratio in the rear and would cruise at 65-70 and send it.
it cost me regular RV plates and insurance for my uhaul. It was like $200 a year.

Yeah, I question the gears.

I went and checked it out today and it appears to check all the boxes. Most of the usual buying a mdt checks were done, need to take some test strips but the antifreeze looked clean. The frame has some scale but no real rust. Thing has atleast 50 yards of driveshafts but all three carrier bearings are tight. It's got juice brakes but they're in good shape with discs up front. Truck is solid, the chop of the rear box looks well done and dry and that flatbed is pretty well built and the hitches are solid.

Dude didn't have the title back in hand, had temp tags and registration, but I'm not playing that game so I told him to call me when he did and I'd come back with cash.

I have a 97 International 3800 school bus, the back half is chopped with a flatbed/dovetail. It has a 466e and an allison 545. I love it. It's loud, no ac, but not any slower at towing 2 rigs than my pickup and you can barely tell they're there. One is on the back one on a car trailer. The truck you posted is awesome.

Does that goose have living quarters? Seems like a long ass truck to tow that trailer with, might be hitting overall length limits, no?

Does that goose have living quarters? Seems like a long ass truck to tow that trailer with, might be hitting overall length limits, no?

Ya know I'm not sure, Need to research I guess. The trailer is actually an 80s race trailer. It's about 34ft floor length, need to measure the overall length. Should be under 65 feet for the combo though.

Honestly I think the picture makes it look longer than it is.

Last edited:
My neighbor just did almost the exact same thing. He's got an almost identical trailer. He's been towing it with his 6.0 F250 on 37s :homer: he borrowed his dad's truck (same thing but stock tires) for a race out of town and melted the engine down going up a grade.

He picked up a ~93 IH with a DT360/at545 and already set up for a gooseneck for $4500. He did the same haul recently and said it's slow, but the truck doesn't seem to care. He is more than happy with it.

I told him it would be super easy to get another 100 hp out of that 360. Not sure how the 545 would like it though :laughing:

Whats the skinny on more power from the 466E?

I've been reading up on more power for the 466e but pickins look slim for the electronic motors. I'd want to see how everything held together before turning it up.

But I drive by the pyro as much as anything. I'm not in hurry enough to melt pistons and such.

Last edited:
I guess to be more specific, I'd be worried about the trans.

I am going to bookmark that site though....

call and find out, but last I looked into it there were 0 aftermarket flashing options, and if you go to IH they want to put new hard parts in the engine before they'll do it.

Those "pressure" box's are probably not what you are after but every shade tree truck mechanic these days has the factory service tool with key-generators so re-rating to 300hp would seem plenty doable.

Well, dude found someone that was a little more trusting on the title than me. Ain't gonna lie the length and speed (or lack thereof) had me second guessing anyway.

Plan is to keep on the look out for a cab over single screw HDT. Gonna throw some bags on the dodge and steer clear of the nuns for maybe a couple more trips.

Last edited:
I dont think you mentioned the HP rating of the engine, theres a tag on top

Anything over 230hp is great, I have three, and love them all dearly.

Honestly any dt466 up until 2007 is solid. The EGR on them is very reliable, rarely any issues, but the power is much smoother and better. I have a 2002 pre egr, and 2005/2006 egr, and prefer the egr engines. They spin faster, and are rated higher.

However they jave a variable turbo as well and sometimes one if the trucks sticks when cold.

IMO anything before the 2001 years looks old, inside and out.

Top Back Refresh