What's new

Talk me out of buying a massive a 460v eletric motor and building a phase converter

I think I vaguely remember this being discussed on the “other” forum. What’s your situation as far as having 3phase available to your property?

30hp continuous is like 120 amps at 240v, keep that in mind.

Yup. Not a big deal. Small shop keeps the wire runs short. There's only 15ft between my panel and where the RPC lives. The lathe is on the other side of that wall and the mill is ~15ft from there. :laughing: The 100ft of wire needed to get it out to the garage is gonna be the biggest expense. Not up-sizing the RPC and being able to just run thin wire to the garage is part of why I'm considering 1ph for the mill and lathe.

I think I vaguely remember this being discussed on the “other” forum. What’s your situation as far as having 3phase available to your property?

Not practically available. Rates are reasonable but paying out the ass for someone else with a license to look over my work makes it uneconomical before even asking the utility to run wires to my panel.

I don't need any one motor larger than 15hp and currently have a 5hp start, 15hp run RPC. It basically comes down to whether I can get two big 1ph motors (10 and 15hp) more economically than I can those same motors in 3ph and a third motor big enough to use as the idler for an RPC to run them.

Top Back Refresh