What's new

Talk me into/out of a MDT

My 09 F750 has a 35k GVWR. Tuned 6.7 Cummins, Allison, and air brakes. It is leaps and bounds better towing than my 1 ton dually. The stopping power and emergency maneuver ability are the biggest advantage.

I was slightly under 24k with the dually and old trailer. It has more than enough power but I had a couple close calls stopping. I am sure modern 1tons stop better than it. Antilock air brakes are my favorite thing about the F750.
Your F750 is drool worthy!

Since it’s for personal use but has air brakes and a GVWR greater than 26k, how do you have it tagged?

Your F750 is drool worthy!

Since it’s for personal use but has air brakes and a GVWR greater than 26k, how do you have it tagged?
Thanks. I was told by TN DOT to tag it heavy enough to cover the weight. I have 32k Joint tags on it. A TN trooper sargent told me you could legally daily drive an 18 wheeler as long as you don't use it to make money in any way. No problem so far passing weigh stations.

Last edited:
My class 5 has been nice because I can get all parts from the normal parts houses, and aftermarket support is there for the 1 ton drivetrain if you want to spruce it up a bit. It's a bit slow accelerating when loaded up, but once up to speed there's no problem holding it. I usually roll down the road towing at 26k gross.

Thanks. I was told by TN DOT to tag it heavy enough to cover the weight. I have 32k Joint tags on it. A TN trooper sargent told me you could legally daily drive an 18 wheeler as long as you don't use it to make money in any way. No problem so far passing weigh stations.
Good to know and very similar to what I had been told about something with a GVWR above 26,001 and air brakes.

Good thing we definitely don't make any money in this hobby!

My class 5 has been nice because I can get all parts from the normal parts houses, and aftermarket support is there for the 1 ton drivetrain if you want to spruce it up a bit. It's a bit slow accelerating when loaded up, but once up to speed there's no problem holding it. I usually roll down the road towing at 26k gross.
Your truck is what makes me miss my old 7.3 powered F450...

I vote 1-ish ton truck.

After insurance, parts, tires, etc. etc. you'll come out money and time ahead BDLing a light duty vehicle.

If old MDTs were actually cheap to run you'd see more people running them.

I am not a farmer so the downside of a MD for me is that it is only used a few times per year. I am still paying registration and insurance on it and the 1 ton. A Ram 4500/5500 or a F450 could take the place of both trucks and wouldn't be bad to daily drive. A 6.4 F450 with a tuned 6.7 Cummins swapped in would be the choice for me.

^^ That's a great point. Can't easily DD a MDT if your other cars/trucks are out of service. My ferd doesn't get driven much unless my normal DD is down for service, but I'm glad I can DD it when needed.

I am not a farmer so the downside of a MD for me is that it is only used a few times per year. I am still paying registration and insurance on it and the 1 ton. A Ram 4500/5500 or a F450 could take the place of both trucks and wouldn't be bad to daily drive. A 6.4 F450 with a tuned 6.7 Cummins swapped in would be the choice for me.

He did basically what you are talking about for a Fummins build except went with a 5.9 instead of the 6.7 Cummins.

^^ That's a great point. Can't easily DD a MDT if your other cars/trucks are out of service. My ferd doesn't get driven much unless my normal DD is down for service, but I'm glad I can DD it when needed.

Shit... That's a really good point. If my daily is down and I don't want to drive the wheeler, an MDT would be seriously limited on use into the city.

I DD a longbed pickup. I could easily DD a F-Superduty class truck. Fawk it... herself would even snag it if the jeep broke down :laughing:

This is about what I'd shoot for... put F250 or 350 badges on it :grinpimp:
f450simple.jpeg

Top Back Refresh