What's new

SXS Snow plow thread....

Deleted Member

So I am looking at getting a plow to replace the old f250 at the resort the parents own. The thing is a 1970 and just done, it's plowed it's last season there.. They have a 2021 Polaris Ranger 1000XT NorthStar ultimate. Why the fawk is it so impossible to find a complete kit with the controller and hydraulics that I can get in one fell swoop? Seems like all my searches result in having to piece everything together. Obviously I am doing it wrong.

I would like a set up that has angle and lift with an easy to control joystick or shift lever control. I don't want to have to get out and kick the blade side to side if I can help it. Also looking for a 68" - 72" blade. The thing has a winch on it, and I realize most plows utilize that but I was hoping to not have to move my hands all over for lift using the winch control and a separate switch for angle and what not. I'd look like a dam mime trying to plow a 1/4 mile of road and driveways for all the cabins.

What are you guys using and where'd ya get it?

You think a SxS with a plow is going to be able to take the place of an F250 with a plow? :lmao:

Why do you think it is that you can't find a complete setup? I'll clue you in....... Because a SxS is not a good plow vehicle.

You think a SxS with a plow is going to be able to take the place of an F250 with a plow? :lmao:

Why do you think it is that you can't find a complete setup? I'll clue you in....... Because a SxS is not a good plow vehicle.
Of course it isn't going to replace a 70 F250 with a 390 and a meyers plow. We used that thing for doing a route over the years that included several businesses as well as the small resort. :flipoff2:

All it needs to do is push maybe 6" of snow on occasion and clear a dozen driveways. Is it not possible? I just thought maybe it was capable. If not, no biggie... I will find another pick up and get a different mount set up for it that will handle the meyers plow. The Polaris has a heated cab and cup holder for my coffee. :laughing:

Of course it isn't going to replace a 70 F250 with a 390 and a meyers plow. We used that thing for doing a route over the years that included several businesses as well as the small resort. :flipoff2:

All it needs to do is push maybe 6" of snow on occasion and clear a dozen driveways. Is it not possible? I just thought maybe it was capable. If not, no biggie... I will find another pick up and get a different mount set up for it that will handle the meyers plow. The Polaris has a heated cab and cup holder for my coffee. :laughing:

I doubt one of those is capable of pushing 6" of snow without damaging it. The frames are made of tin foil and I wouldn't trust it to not bend if you were to hit a curb or imperfection under the snow with the plow. I also doubt it has enough charging system capacity to run an electric plow pump without either draining the battery and/or frying something in the system.

I don't drive 50 mph pushing snow.... :laughing: Plus the hydraulics can't draw much power, can they?

They seemed capable, but I was hoping to hear from those with a plow.... do you have one, or have you had one?

This thing seemed pretty practical for what I was thinking.

Have you looked at the Boss plow like that guy is using? Looks like it's a complete setup like you wanted, no?

I'd rather trash another cheap pickup truck plowing snow rather than a $30k SxS but that's just me.

Only plow I've ever had was on a Honda 4x4 quad and it was manual everything. I have zero use for snow plows since moving to TX.

Ok Mr Texas :flipoff2:

Yes I know you're from NE, it's a joke :black fangers:

My neighbor clears his driveway on all but the one or 2 big storms with a fucking lawn mower. A SxS will be just fine, if he's not getting 2' of wet snow consistently, especially a fat pig of a ranger with a full cab, can always add some wieght in the bed too.

Lately we are getting 6" at a time.... and it may be several days in a row. So a standard storm might bring in a couple of feet over a few days. Start early and keep at it as it snows is how I have always handled the resort.

If I could find a 72" blade set up and a kit with hydraulics I would think it would be fine. Was hoping to find someone with some real world experience though.

All said I have probably an 1/8 mile of road (if that) and multiple parking spots next to the cabins to tackle.

I have about 2 miles of trails and two driveways on my mountain property and get tons of snow.

Between the backhoe, a 1 ton gm plow truck and my grizzly 660 quad w manual plow, I prefer the quad. It will definitely plow a good foot of snow.

Keep looking for a full Hydraulic plow for that sxs. It will amaze you what it can do.

I have about 2 miles of trails and two driveways on my mountain property and get tons of snow.

Between the backhoe, a 1 ton gm plow truck and my grizzly 660 quad w manual plow, I prefer the quad. It will definitely plow a good foot of snow.

Keep looking for a full Hydraulic plow for that sxs. It will amaze you what it can do.
Thanks man... some real world experience helps.

I've got one on the gator. Does great. Straight 72". Manual angle but hydraulic up and down. Our snows are always wet so you can't let it get too deep. Friend has a gator with the boss plow and claims it's a beast. I put 4 or 5 of those 80# wall blocks in the bed.

I don’t know anyone with a full hydraulic setup but know several with a manual angle blade that uses the winch for up/down. I had a moose plow on my Ranger.

You can move a surprising amount of snow with them. Especially with chains and some weight in the back.

I don’t know anyone with a full hydraulic setup but know several with a manual angle blade that uses the winch for up/down. I had a moose plow on my Ranger.

You can move a surprising amount of snow with them. Especially with chains and some weight in the back.
The roads at the resort are 8' wide... I make a couple of passes anyways and a couple on the drives as well. Plus any cleanup and the main drives. Seems kind of ideal to me, but wanted some feedback from those that have used them. They seem to go from about 1500- 2500 for the heavier duty ones with or without a powered angle ram.

I have an older f-350 (95) regular cab 4x4, but would need to find a different mount for a really old meyers plow and go through all the hydraulics on it as well. And the truck needs new tires and some maintenance. Would probably end up the same money wise.

Will have to think this one through.

Polaris makes a very nice plow setup that uses an electric actuator for the angle and the winch for lift. It’s spendy but very nice. I have a cheapo tusk plow on my General XP and it does just fine. Only thing I don’t like is that with a 64” wide machine and a 72” plow fully angled the front tire is in deep snow when you steer. I did have to rebuild the mount for it this year. I left it on and took it to KOH last year and basically destroyed it.

FWIW

I have plowed for north of 40 years with just about everything known to man. A back blade on an 8N, dozer (home made floats), quads, trucks, even a couple jeeps, one of which I got from Schweitzer Mountain. Jeep frames are garbage.

Considerations, blade weight or power down, blade width, MOUNT, electrical and how fast or often do want to plow ? The crap I get in late Oct/early Nov is usually wet, heavy slop. Miserable. Doing it with an open cab/quad/sxs SUCKS. Your wet, your NOT happy and the "snow" refuses to cooperate. You are literally pushing heavy water and not the nuke kind. Later in the year, when it is colder than a well diggers ~ss, it is fluffy, up over the top of the blade in your face type snow. Again, open cab, short height blade, and all that. With a quad/sxs, back blading ? Forget it. No where near enough blade weight. Thus enter the truck mounted plow. Oh yeah ! Heated cab, nice cup of coffee, just out livin' the life ! Bullsh~t. Yep, a truck mounted blade is good for doing distance, moving snow and allot of it. My personal experience, and that of every one of my friends that plows is that you better plan on doing a shit ton of maintenance and you DO get wear and tear on your truck. As far as electrical, I run dual batteries under the hood, plus 2 yellow top RV batteries, 160amp alternator V/A gauge, trans cooler, trans filter, temp gauge. To qualify the set up, this is on an F350 CC/SB with a western 9 1/2ft pro-plow. The blade is HEAVY. I put the back blade lip on it and I run a snow flap on the top. This setup flat moves snow, but it absolutely SUCKS around tight areas. Thus enter the quad with a blade. This is NOT something special, the polaris version, winch up and freespool down, get off and kick the snot out of its frozen ~ss the get it to angle. This is sterling in and around the house, front of the garage, trail to the barn and shop. It works, it has floats, you just have to stay within the confines of its ability. I DO run a battery tender on the truck and the quad. I have not had the electrical give out on the quad, but a much smaller blade, winch up free spool down.

All of that being said, I still wind up with the skidsteer cleaning out the sides of the trails I make with the quad. The truck has enough weight, Detroits F/R, to move my edges back if I must, if it is not doing it, I grudgingly fire up the D4. Your much better off finding a place to push snow too and early plowing move your edges WAY back. After a few freeze/thaws it gets a bit sporty trying to move it, even a dozer. Steel tracks on snow......story for another day.

Punchline is use what you can afford. My quad is an XP1000, all dealer crap on it. I do like the MOOSE rollover plow better, not sure why though. I have never tried to plow with the golf cart. The truck is the truck. Big, heavy, great for moving a bunch of snow in a reasonably straight line.

I do have a guy down the road a ways, he is pretty high steppin', got himself a "Northstar" Ranger. He has a joystick control but I do not know if it is full hydraulic. Pretty dang sure he would never settle for actually getting out of the heated cab to angle the blade, so there is that. He does his entire driveway/place with it. He did hire a plow truck to push his edges back this year once already.

His works, what he gains in small size, he loses in weight. HOW you plow is probably almost as important as what you do it with. If you have the ability to plow any time during a storm and stay ahead of it, a quad will do it. I've done it. That being said, if you get off work, haul ~ss home and try to move wet heavy snow in the dark with a deep freeze coming on later, you have your work cut out for you.

Not certain if any of that made sense or helped.

YMMV

Top Back Refresh