What's new

Switch for reversible eelctric motor

ntaylor

Member Number
Buddy has a chainsaw sharpener that is missing the switch to operate it. It is a 120v reversible motor. Not sure what type of switch I need. Was thinking DPDT. But I see that there are 3 pole and 4 pole double throw switches also. Here is the diagram on the motor.
IMG_3899.jpg

My buddy is doing the same and when i looked all i could find was the big barrel switches.

But the sharpeners have mini toggles so it either exists or its a pcb board in the modern units.

May be wirth it to just go buy a hf pos and yard it out.

First thing that came up when googleing dpdt switch diagram.

Ignore the (+) and (-) I think they're just there to make it easier to see. Pretty sure you can just leave the white and black wires connected all the time (but you should double check this first with an ohm meter and no power, then with an ammeter and power applied).

An on/off/on DPDT should do the trick.

If there is current flowing with just the white and black wires connected you could always use a second switch to disconnect one of them. In this case it would be a SPST on/off toggle to go along with the DPDT on/on toggle (no need for on/off/on as it would just make things confusing).

motor reverse.png

Top Back Refresh