What's new

Sub $200 Aluminum Fuel Cell vs. Plastic?

Sean

Member Number
Gathering parts for a couple of buggy builds (one for my wife, one for me....most likely very similar if not identical).

Brings me to the topic of fuel cells. In the past, space constraints have always dictated a custom tank and I've always made them from .095" steel with baffles and sumps, usually tall and narrow so they have fuel at pretty extreme angles. No issues with the 3 tanks I've built, all still in service, no leaks/cracks. I went steel at first b/c I didn't have a TIG or a MIG spool gun. I have both now, but have seen/heard of so many folks cracking aluminum tanks that I'm a bit leery. I've read that how you mount an aluminum tank makes a big difference, but I've seen it done a lot of ways and they still seem to be prone to leaking.

This time, there should be room to go with an off the shelf tank (about 12-16 gallons)....and I notice aluminum tanks are now really inexpensive.....but are probably pretty low quality/thin wall.

So the question: Am I better off just buying a plastic tank at this price point? I assume they are far less likely to leak and I'd imagine they are a bit lighter (I'm trying to keep the weight down on these builds). Or, am I overthinking this and is aluminum fine (even these Amazon tanks)? Is mounting really the way to solve the issue of cracks/leaks on an aluminum tank and if so....what method is preferred? And no, I don't really see the point in buying a cheap aluminum tank, cutting the top off, reinforcing/baffling it, then welding it back together. If I were going to do that, I'd just build a custom one out of heavier gauge aluminum to begin with....and I'm trying to avoid all the time consuming tasks that make builds take so long.

I asked a similar question a while back and the consensus was aluminum is a bad choice all around, and plastic is vastly superior.

I have a heavy gauge aluminum tank now that lets water in, fuel seems to stay in, I plan to buy a plastic tank soon.

I asked a similar question a while back and the consensus was aluminum is a bad choice all around, and plastic is vastly superior.

I have a heavy gauge aluminum tank now that lets water in, fuel seems to stay in, I plan to buy a plastic tank soon.
I had an RCI years ago, and I had rubber feet under the tabs, as well as straps to keep it from shifting. Still cracked.

I had an RCI years ago, and I had rubber feet under the tabs, as well as straps to keep it from shifting. Still cracked.
Mine is a $20 used tank off CL :laughing:

It had 4 tabs on it, threw an old mudflap under it, and bolted it down. If it weren't for water getting in I'd rock it.

Thinking about it, I remember the first summer I had it, it expanded in size in the heat, I popped the gas cap to relieve it. I bet that has something to do with it.

Mine is a $20 used tank off CL :laughing:

It had 4 tabs on it, threw an old mudflap under it, and bolted it down. If it weren't for water getting in I'd rock it.

Thinking about it, I remember the first summer I had it, it expanded in size in the heat, I popped the gas cap to relieve it. I bet that has something to do with it.
I still run aluminum, but its a forklift tank lol

I considered that to solve my carb problems and tank problems, but for a street rig I think it would be inconvenient
It is. An 8gal (33lb) propane tank is good for like 50 miles of road driving, if that. It solved all the running issues my yota was having, and runs great in offroad only scenarios but if streetability means anything to you, propane isnt the answer with forklift cylinders.

The GoatBuilt poly tank with GM truck pump is a very good setup. It’s 19 GAL but you don’t have to fill it all the way if you want to keep weight down.
I used the newer 2005 returnless truck pump and linked the drawing file on Irate downloads if interested.

Last edited:
Would go steel, plastic, stainless.

Could try 16G stainless save weight then scotch brite for the bling

My $115 Amazon 12gal aluminum cell has been flawless for 18+ months of hard wheeling, including a few backflips. 3 tig'd on threaded bungs for a triangulated mount, plus a Hydramat for zero pickup issues. How you mount the cell is critical.

My $115 Amazon 12gal aluminum cell has been flawless for 18+ months of hard wheeling, including a few backflips. 3 tig'd on threaded bungs for a triangulated mount, plus a Hydramat for zero pickup issues. How you mount the cell is critical.
Soooo..... care to share how you mounted yours?

Corners, only bottom corners and top middle, or?

Soooo..... care to share how you mounted yours?

Corners, only bottom corners and top middle, or?

If you want an aluminum tank to last, it should be strapped into a cradle with a rubber or double side fuel resistant tape product.

You can get away with certain tab and mounting configurations that minimize the fatigue stress, but a strapped and supported tank is always best.

Top Back Refresh