What's new

Strange noise randomly occuring-99 4runner

ricekrispyota

Member Number
Hello,

My son has a 99 4runner with about 230k miles on it. We have replaced the lower control arms, front sway bar bushings and end links, lower ball joints, outer tie rods. The ball joints and tie rod ends were "upgraded" to 99 Tacoma since I was told they were stronger. We installed a 1.5" 4crawler body lift, including bumper and radiator relocation tabs, in December and these issues started after that. All of this has happened over the past year. Within the past 3 months, he has started to get a random clang when he turns into steep driveways, sort of flexing out the truck. It does not happen again until the truck is left to settle, sometimes the next day or several days later.

Additionally, there is a slight catch or click when turning sharp and hitting a bump in the road in both directions.
I have gone through the whole front end and verified everything is tightened to spec including the steering rack. I have checked the t-case mount is tight also and the lift bolts are still tight.

We have an entire long arm kit getting ready to go in including new wheel bearings, but have done nothing in that respect, yet.

Does this sound familiar to anyone and is there anywhere else I can look to try and diagnose.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Have you checked the rear links/Panhard bar? Maybe the rear away bar ends links? Sometimes the bushings are pretty shot with the age and miles on 3rd gens.

Have you checked the rear links/Panhard bar? Maybe the rear away bar ends links? Sometimes the bushings are pretty shot with the age and miles on 3rd gens.
We checked the panhard bar and installed new rear upper and lower rear adjustable links a couple weeks ago, but the noise was happening before that. I will check the rear sway bar end links this weekend. Thanks for the idea.

Step one, take gay body lift off.

Step 2, just drive the thing. It's 20+ years old, it's probably going to make some noises.

Honestly though, I wonder if the body lift needs to be retightened. But seriously, why a body lift?

Step one, take gay body lift off.

Step 2, just drive the thing. It's 20+ years old, it's probably going to make some noises.

Honestly though, I wonder if the body lift needs to be retightened. But seriously, why a body lift?
Lol. We need the body lift in order to run the long travel kit he bought. That kit has an outboard shock relocation on the rear. He is learning to weld also, so when he gets good, I'll have him cut out and tub the rear to fit the shocks without the body lift. We have been driving it, and he has been wheeling the crap out of it. We may just be a bit paranoid because the LBJ on the last 4runner he had snapped at 55 mph and he rolled it a couple times. Just don't want something bad to happen to my kid if we can diagnose and fix an issue.

IMG_5521.jpeg

Teenage kid days the rig broke and caused the roll huh? Not the other way around? :flipoff2:
Yeah. I was able to get the video from a house on the road. Mama checked his speed at the time of the accident using our family tracking app and verified he was doing the speed limit at the time of the accident and witnesses confirmed he wasn't driving like an idiot. I was skeptical at first too. LOL. :lmao::lmao:

Pretty crazy to watch your kid tumble down the road on video.

Yeah. I was able to get the video from a house on the road. Mama checked his speed at the time of the accident using our family tracking app and verified he was doing the speed limit at the time of the accident and witnesses confirmed he wasn't driving like an idiot. I was skeptical at first too. LOL. :lmao::lmao:

Pretty crazy to watch your kid tumble down the road on video.

That is nuts, glad everyone was OK. I changed my ball joints out fairly quickly also. I think a lot of the issue ls with them is guys running too much angle on them. I've seen stack spacers :barf:

A guy could make a killing charging $200 a pop finding rattles, pops, and squeaks in offroad rigs. :lmao: $300 if you can't duplicate the problem when you bring it in.:lmao::lmao:

Maybe get some wood blocks and a long ass pry bar at each body mount and see if you can get one of them to make the noise.

The noise while turning definitely sounds like CV trouble.

Top Back Refresh