What's new

Strange locking hub application and question

TTMotorsports

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
Lucerne Valley, CA
OK so future planning project for next year. I'm going to build a 95 f150 into a cruiser prerunner. I'm keeping full bed and doing bronco rear gas tank. 4 link 9in rear with cantilever coilovers behind the axle outside the frame. Now I'm planning on using wheel hubs for the cantilever pivot. Now my theory would be to run a 35 spline sway bar from locking hub to locking huh so I could lock and unlock the sway bar for different scenarios. So are 35 spline d60 hubs a 1-1/2 x 35 spline like standard sway bars? Also do you think locking hubs would be strong enough for a sway bar application? I would think so since they go through a lot of stress constantly in front axle 4x4 applications.

Sky Jacker makes a Rocklock sway bar that has locking hubs as the disconnect method…they’re made for the front of a Jeep TJ. Not sure if they’re up to spirted prerunner action though.

The stock 30 spline 60 axles will break an oem lockout. A yukon or upgraded warn may hold up

The stock 30 spline 60 axles will break an oem lockout. A yukon or upgraded warn may hold up

I've seen so many broken 30 spline stubs without hurting the oem hub. So much so that guys used to edm them out because the warn hubs were garbage.

Either way, may as well go 35 spline Yukon. Pretty sure they even sell them individually. No need for them on both sides.

I've seen so many broken 30 spline stubs without hurting the oem hub. So much so that guys used to edm them out because the warn hubs were garbage.

Either way, may as well go 35 spline Yukon. Pretty sure they even sell them individually. No need for them on both sides.
Maybe, I remember snow plow trucks hurting them, but that may have been lack of maintenance.

Iv heard the yukons can be difficult to unlock when a load is against them. The spicers would kinda bind up with a spooled front axle

Maybe, I remember snow plow trucks hurting them, but that may have been lack of maintenance.

Iv heard the yukons can be difficult to unlock when a load is against them. The spicers would kinda bind up with a spooled front axle

They are, especially if you overtighten the Allen's like everyone does.

At least with a sway bar and cushy suspension, you should be able to rock the truck a little to get it unlocked.

Do the hubs lock at one position or lock into the first available position? If the later you have to avoid locking with any body roll relative to the axle.

I don't see why it wouldn't work but D60 sized shit is a ton of mass to waste on a cantilever pivot.

I think you'll come out lighter and more elegant with a standalone sway bar and more traditional pinned disconnect.

Checkout this post from 4 wheel underground, dana 60 locking hubs for the cantilever pivot.
Screenshot_20240322_083132_Instagram.jpg

Screen Shot 2024-03-22 at 8.46.06 AM.png

Could've shaved a few pounds and a few bucks off that arm with no increase in swept volume by doing a conventional triangle.

OK so future planning project for next year. I'm going to build a 95 f150 into a cruiser prerunner. I'm keeping full bed and doing bronco rear gas tank. 4 link 9in rear with cantilever coilovers behind the axle outside the frame. Now I'm planning on using wheel hubs for the cantilever pivot. Now my theory would be to run a 35 spline sway bar from locking hub to locking huh so I could lock and unlock the sway bar for different scenarios. So are 35 spline d60 hubs a 1-1/2 x 35 spline like standard sway bars? Also do you think locking hubs would be strong enough for a sway bar application? I would think so since they go through a lot of stress constantly in front axle 4x4 applications.

do it, if you start blowing them up make it a drive flange.

Gonna have to be extremely beefy sway bar to defeat the moment generated by those long ass beams.

Almost all of my desert trucks run an 1-1/4" diameter sway bar with an 18" or so long arm, which the cantilever arm that goes to the axle will probably be the same or only slightly shorter which would require a straight 1-1/2" diameter bar which isn't uncommon.

I just need to measure the frame width with D60 hubs to see if I can find an off the shelf sway bar and then make the hubs are correct width to use that sway bar that's readily available and in stock at multiple places so I can change rate if necessary in the future.

I haven't found any commonly available sway bars that have the correct splines to use locking hubs. I want to say that most sway bars I have found are 40-46 spline bars for 1.25-1.5 dia. The 35 spline bars had a much smaller diameter. I'm talking spline diameter, not working bar diameter. From what I have seen commonly available the sway bar world uses a much smaller spline profile than the axle shaft world. I'm sure someone could make them, but that defeats the cheap common parts idea.

Yeah I will probably just the a custom hub end cover with the sway bar protruding through that with a small arm on the sway bar splines that connect to cantilever arm like @dparsel did on his awesome k5 blazer

Almost all of my desert trucks run an 1-1/4" diameter sway bar with an 18" or so long arm, which the cantilever arm that goes to the axle will probably be the same or only slightly shorter which would require a straight 1-1/2" diameter bar which isn't uncommon.

I just need to measure the frame width with D60 hubs to see if I can find an off the shelf sway bar and then make the hubs are correct width to use that sway bar that's readily available and in stock at multiple places so I can change rate if necessary in the future.
1.25" bar is huge, 1.5" is ridiculous. I haven't built anything with over a 1" bar. If you need a bar that big, it's masking other issues.

Top Back Refresh