What's new

Sterling ammo, a Sunday morning review

FrankenToy

Cynically skeptical...
Member Number
It's Sunday, 'nuff said.
AimSurplus is selling this for $10.95/box. I decided to take a chance.
I chose to run steel. I shoot in our pasture as I can run a magnet dolly through the grass to police the cases. Unfortunately, I have depleted my Russian 9 mm cache :(. Main impression: This stuff is lower powered, even compared to the Russian ammo. I ran two different guns with this stuff, a Beretta Combat APX and my P365 X-Macro. The recoil was actually a delight as target re-acquisition made me feel like a "high speed, low drag operator" (I am not) :)) . The Beretta suffered 3 stove-pipe-ish failures out of fifty rounds, no failure with any of the Russian ammo previously. Additionally, the spent cases would, literally, dribble out of the slide onto the ground in front of my feet. At 25 yds, I had to aim a couple of inches high to hit the gongs. My "training" regimen doesn't involve striving for the smallest grouping but, rather, hitting several 8 inch gongs consistently and as quickly as I can from a draw (standing). Again, the recoil really did help with this. The stove-pipes aren't really a concern as I don't EDC the Beretta (it's a monster compared to the P365). Most of my handguns have red-dots and all I am doing is training with a red-dot (both eyes open). A train hard (25 yds), fight easy (15 yds) philosophy. I achieved a > 95% hit rate at 25 yds, I am calling that a success. With my EDC (P365) I train at 15 yds, being essentially a sub-compact my effectiveness at 25 yds is abysmal. At 15 yds by hit rate is 100%. No failures, whatsoever, with the P365 in fifty rounds and the spent cases were flung 6 feet to the right. I will use more of this ammo for future training. HTH...

CIMG1242.JPG

IIRC it's turkish
the reduced snappiness is not too surprising, the russian 9mm was loaded pretty hot when compared to rem/win/federal brass cased stuff

I've been looking at that steel magtech that's come out recently. Haven't picked any up, just looking at it and thinking I probably oughta

Deals are out there still. Local place had norma brass case for $10/box. They bumped it back up to $13

Been buying a few boxes of JHP's when I go by for $16/50

Top Back Refresh