What's new

Stellantis uses mandatory remote work day to cut 400 white collar jobs.

Landslide

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Basically Chrysler Ram laid off a bunch of engineers outsourcing these jobs to South America and elsewhere.

I heard Ford is moving a bunch of production south of the border as well because unions.

Keep en eyeball on this shit because it’s more of the killing off of the middle class society in this nation. They are pushing it to become a third world country

Reactions: DMG
Basically Chrysler Ram laid off a bunch of engineers outsourcing these jobs to South America and elsewhere.

I heard Ford is moving a bunch of production south of the border as well because unions.

Keep en eyeball on this shit because it’s more of the killing off of the middle class society in this nation. They are pushing it to become a third world country

I wonder why they would be doing that?

Its a European company headquartered in Amsterdam.

Why would they have any allegiance to American workers? When you engineer to a price point, the entire company becomes socially engineered to a price point.

Gonna be quite ironic to watch engineers and accountants flocking to Mexico for jobs. That border wall will really become comically tragic then.

Having worked with manufacturers who did this, it never seems to end with a better or more innovative product, and tends to end up incredibly inefficient.

Anecdotally anyway.

In my experience, foreign engineers can do the math just fine, but suck at creativity, creative solutions, anything remotely out of the box, or elegant designs & solutions.

Damn, Ford got hammered by the car that's gonna save us all.

Stellantis has so far waited to bring its electric offerings to market, avoiding heavy sales losses accrued by competitors like Ford, which lost $4.7 billion on EVs in 2023.

Gonna be quite ironic to watch engineers and accountants flocking to Mexico for jobs. That border wall will really become comically tragic then.

Good luck with that one. Unlike what takes place on our side of the border, it will be an eye openning opposite with Mexican side...
Shoot on sight scenario is not unlikely.

Good for them.

It's going to take a while bunch of corporate pain and possibly another Chrysler failure for them to realize that blanket support of federal mandates is killing them rather than just killing their competition [goes for all the "big 3"]

I had to look up CEO pays…just for fun.

The big 3’s pinnacle, IMHO was the late 60’s, early 70’s. From a quick search, it looks like in 1965 CEO’s were paid 21 times more than an average worker as compared to 2022 where they were paid 344 times more. If I had to guess, the CEO’s back then also cared, to some extent, about cars. If they didn’t it would show like it does today.

This is just rich business men getting more profit return. They don’t care if the company gets driven into the ground. There are tons of more jobs out there…if they even need a “job.” When your comp is $22-$35 million a year, you’re not worried about the future of your current position. Just cut amd run right before it all goes down.

It's got nothing to do with CEO relative pay

It's got everything to do with making deals with the devil. Every big government nhtsa or epa or labor or whatever program or rule or regulation dealing with cars in the US has been done "with the blessing and coordination of the auto mfg"

Every single time the consumer gets a worse product amd the industry suffers from loss of competition.

Yes, even seat belt mandates are retarded and harmful

The auto mfg think they can stay in the good graces of the government by giving support, they trade near term peace for long term suffering.

It's got nothing to do with CEO relative pay

It's got everything to do with making deals with the devil. Every big government nhtsa or epa or labor or whatever program or rule or regulation dealing with cars in the US has been done "with the blessing and coordination of the auto mfg"

Every single time the consumer gets a worse product amd the industry suffers from loss of competition.

Yes, even seat belt mandates are retarded and harmful

The auto mfg think they can stay in the good graces of the government by giving support, they trade near term peace for long term suffering.

I don’t know about that. Even foreign cars have to meet those standards to be sold here. Just the way it is. Every country has some sort of standards now, except for those third world countries.

The EPA and other feds aren’t helping anything, but it’s hard to look at the moeny these companies are paying top employees, then moving their production to a place where they pay labor pennies on the dollar. It’s all about profits. They could move all their production elsewhere and they still have to meet regulations to sell here.

I don’t know about that. Even foreign cars have to meet those standards to be sold here. Just the way it is. Every country has some sort of standards now, except for those third world countries.

The EPA and other feds aren’t helping anything, but it’s hard to look at the moeny these companies are paying top employees, then moving their production to a place where they pay labor pennies on the dollar. It’s all about profits. They could move all their production elsewhere and they still have to meet regulations to sell here.
100% EV ? That and CAFE are all things thr industry should have fought this past decade at least.

Instead they slurped it up. Going to an even more massive subsidy package like some foreign mfgs get isn't the answer.

Sure, they could build in non union states etc, but they'd be decades ahead to have fought the government regulations with more gusto instead of signing on with it.

At the end of the day, I support white collar jobs going to Mexico though. I'd like to have more parity through reduced burden in the US as well.

DETROIT — Stellantis is laying off roughly 400 salaried employees in the U.S. in its engineering, technology and software units to cut costs as the automaker faces what it calls challenging market conditions.

Stellantis on Friday said the layoffs would affect about 2% of employees in those units “after rigorous organizational reviews.” Stellantis employed 11,800 U.S. salaried employees as of the end of last year.

The cuts are effective March 31.

“As the auto industry continues to face unprecedented uncertainties and heightened competitive pressures around the world, Stellantis continues to make the appropriate structural decisions across the enterprise to improve efficiency and optimize our cost structure,” the company said in an emailed statement.

A spokeswoman for the automaker declined to discuss the exact number of employees who are being laid off. A source familiar with the actions confirmed it at about 400 workers, a number first reported Friday by The Wall Street Journal.

The layoffs occurred during a “mandatory remote work day” for U.S. salaried, nonunion employees in Stellantis’ engineering and technology organization, according to an internal announcement confirmed by two sources who were not authorized to speak about the actions.

The action is the latest by Stellantis CEO Carlos Tavares to cut costs through layoffs, buyouts and other methods since the company was established through a merger of Fiat Chrysler and French automaker PSA Groupe in 2021.

The cuts are part of a push to achieve Stellantis’ “Dare Forward 2030” strategic plan that aims to increase profits and double the automaker’s revenue to 300 billion euros, or $335 billion, by then, among other targets.

“While we understand this is difficult news, these actions will better align resources while preserving the critical skills needed to protect our competitive advantage as we remain laser focused on implementing our EV product offensive and our Dare Forward 2030 strategic plan,” the company said.

It's 400 out of 11,800 people in the engineering and tech department.

Meanwhile, John Deere is moving an entire production line to Mexico. They've been doing this for decades, and you don't hear shit about it.

The big 3’s pinnacle, IMHO was the late 60’s, early 70’s. From a quick search, it looks like in 1965 CEO’s were paid 21 times more than an average worker as compared to 2022 where they were paid 344 times more. If I had to guess, the CEO’s back then also cared, to some extent, about cars. If they didn’t it would show like it does today.

This is just rich business men getting more profit return. They don’t care if the company gets driven into the ground. There are tons of more jobs out there…if they even need a “job.” When your comp is $22-$35 million a year, you’re not worried about the future of your current position. Just cut amd run right before it all goes down.
lol. :lmao: Good one. Best satire I’ve seen.

Having worked with manufacturers who did this, it never seems to end with a better or more innovative product, and tends to end up incredibly inefficient.

Anecdotally anyway.

In my experience, foreign engineers can do the math just fine, but suck at creativity, creative solutions, anything remotely out of the box, or elegant designs & solutions.

elegant designs is quite hilarious

Bean counters calling shots on dollars and cents. not on real world.

:homer::homer::homer:
They hire consultant groups to tell them how they can cut corners to save money. I’ve never seen anything good as an outcome when this happens.

I predicted this would happen tit for tat,Ying for yang. You can't sell a truck for 90k and think it's sustainable. They took advantage of consumers and now they aren't selling shit.
Planned obsolescence inflated that entire industry anyway.

It's 400 out of 11,800 people in the engineering and tech department.

Meanwhile, John Deere is moving an entire production line to Mexico. They've been doing this for decades, and you don't hear shit about it.
I would assume other companies that are traded do similar things like fiat is. Deere answers to their shareholders period which I think has its downside more than people would admit.

you do understand that the $22-35M year is total comp, right? That's not a salary. Most CXO's that I know make well less than $1m/year in salary... the big comp is in the stock. If the stock does well, so does the CEO. If it doesn't, neither does the CEO.

you do understand that the $22-35M year is total comp, right? That's not a salary. Most CXO's that I know make well less than $1m/year in salary... the big comp is in the stock. If the stock does well, so does the CEO. If it doesn't, neither does the CEO.

Let's not bring logic into this. It's the rich guys fault!:flipoff2:

My buddy got signed on to be president of a company. Signing bonus was over $500k, in stock that he can't sell for 5 years. :laughing:

But he makes a paltry $150k/yr salary working from his home office, so he's banking on that stock not going to shit.

Let's not bring logic into this. It's the rich guys fault!:flipoff2:

My buddy got signed on to be president of a company. Signing bonus was over $500k, in stock that he can't sell for 5 years. :laughing:

But he makes a paltry $150k/yr salary working from his home office, so he's banking on that stock not going to shit.
Yup... Company wins, CEO wins.

I personally know a CFO who's salary is about $700k... Stock is worth >$30m.

Anecdotally anyway.

Working with GM on a project like this. Foreign engineers can't get out of their own way, its pissing off the local engineers.

Top Back Refresh