What's new

Steering box with no centering valve?

vegask

Member Number
Anyone ever see a steering box that does not have the 10mm plug on the top of it to access the centering valve? I am drilling and tapping an 80 series box and this one does not have it. Yet every guide, video and FSM I have found shows that it should have one. Do I abort the mission and find a new box or re-assemble it and see what happens?

Attachments

• IMG_3069.JPG
    IMG_3069.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 4
Sorry, the FSM refers to it as a "power piston" not centering valve.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-07-08 at 1.44.26 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-07-08 at 1.44.26 PM.png
    265.6 KB · Views: 4
Can you afford the downtime / cost if it doesn't work out?

Interesting situation...

Had to go back and look at pics, my IFS box doesnt have that. I'd say run it and report back

Are 80 series using the same ifs box???
I'll go look at mine also.

FJ80 is a lot bigger compared to an IFS box. It has a 3.5 inch piston compared to the 3 inch in the IFS box.

Last edited:
And fits a cruizer :homer:
:flipoff2:
Guess op is in new territory of steering boxes...
+1 on try it out and report back.
Good luck bud

FJ80 is a lot bigger compared to an IFS box. It has a 3.5 inch piston compared to the 3 inch in the IFS box.

I had them side by side and they looked identical size? I even swear I read something about swapping guts?

Maybe they went to the bigger piston in the FZJ80?

And is forward swing
Correct.
I had them side by side and they looked identical size? I even swear I read something about swapping guts?

I have an FJ80 box sitting in my garage. It’s noticeably larger in size. The 80 weighs damn near 2000 pounds more than a 4Runner. You might be thinking of an FJ70 box. Those guts are swappable with an IFS box.

80 series is also a 4-bolt mounting vs 3

Correct.

I have an FJ80 box sitting in my garage. It’s noticeably larger in size. The 80 weighs damn near 2000 pounds more than a 4Runner. You might be thinking of an FJ70 box. Those guts are swappable with an IFS box.

I pulled the box off of an FJ80 myself, and had it and the IFS box at the same time during my SAS mock up. So either it was not that big of a difference, or some how an FJ60 box was swapped onto the FJ80 before it hit the junk yard.

Not that it matters at this point

Finally got a look at the FJ60 box that this 80 series box is going to replace and it also does not have the "power port" on it. So it looks like I should be fine... hopefully. I just need to re-assemble the 80 box and get it mounted this weekend.

As for the 60 vs 80 box size, they look incredibly similar in overall size. I do know the FJ60 box changed after 1985 so maybe the earlier versions were smaller.

Also, just wanted to say thanks for the replies. I posted this same question on a landcruiser board over the weekend and got zero responses.

Also, just wanted to say thanks for the replies. I posted this same question on a landcruiser board over the weekend and got zero responses.
Probably better than "take it to a mechanic that specializes in land cruisers" which is the usual response you will get from those guys:laughing:

UPDATE:

It appears to work, still bleeding the system but every thing is moving in the correct directions.

And on another note, the FJ60 box and FJ80 boxes are different. The 60 box I had, has a square 4 bolt pattern, the 80 box has the two lower bolts slightly offset. Like, just slightly offset. Since my frame is sleeved I may just run a smaller bolt and enlarge the holes on the bottom (if that makes sense).

Second, the 80s input for the steering shaft is 1/2" higher and 1/4" more outward (towards the tires) than the 60. Just enough of a difference to ruin my weekend. That and my borgeson ujoint seized itself to the 60 box and I had to buy a new one.

Attachments

• IMG_3086.JPG
    IMG_3086.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 3
Top Back Refresh