What's new

steel vs nylon rollers for machinery skates

arse_sidewards

Contrary to everything
Member Number
They're within a buck of being the same price. Any reason to go with nylon over steel?

Also, why is Vevor shit cheaper on eBay than their own website?

I’ve use both with no real thought as to a pro or con to either one. If I was buying them, I’d probably go with nylon assuming it’s a little bit more forgiving.

Pretty sure mine are some type of polyurethane. But I got them for a killer deal on FB so I couldn't be picky.

Steel will not pick up chips like nylon or poly. I'd personally go steel if I were buying new.

$150 for a set of four cheap?

Because that's how cheap normal roller skates are these days.

For $250 I can fuck around with rollers for how rarely I'll use them.

How heavy are the machines that you intend to move? I have a couple machines in the 4000 pound ballpark. My favorite way to move them is with a polyurethane skate that has an axle on two of them to tie them together with one steerable skate opposite that.

The steel chain rollers are very nice but after using those one time, I’m not gonna drag out those again, unless I really need to.

How heavy are the machines that you intend to move? I have a couple machines in the 4000 pound ballpark. My favorite way to move them is with a polyurethane skate that has an axle on two of them to tie them together with one steerable skate opposite that.

The steel chain rollers are very nice but after using those one time, I’m not gonna drag out those again, unless I really need to.
This machine is 7-8k. I wouldn't mind having capacity for up to ~10k

I'm looking at the VEVOR "12-ton" skates. I assume that load rating is for the entire set of four. They're all steerable but they have a through hole at the front and back of each skate so I can use rebar or threaded rod or whatever to keep any given end driving straight.

Steel if you're only on concrete and don't give a shit about the floor. The only reason for Nylon (or other plastics) is to reduce marking on the surface they're rolling on. Nylon will wear out faster and can shatter. Steel can deform if you get a shock load and won't come back.

Steel Hillman rollers with 18,000lbs will crack an epoxy floor and feel like you are pushing the machine over a mountain.

$150 for a set of four cheap?

Because that's how cheap normal roller skates are these days.
I got a set of 4 chain type Hillmann rollers (actually two are Hillmann and two are some other brand) for $200 if I remember correctly. Surely someone of your high status living in the land of $500 bridgeports and always bragging of such can find some around you. I live in an industrial desert and actual desert and found some less than 5 miles down the road from me...

Nylon will probably be slightly easier to roll assuming the bearings are the same. Reason being that it will deform a bit for any small imperfections, where steel doesn't, so every little spec of dirt acts like a chock.

I got a set of 4 chain type Hillmann rollers (actually two are Hillmann and two are some other brand) for $200 if I remember correctly. Surely someone of your high status living in the land of $500 bridgeports and always bragging of such can find some around you. I live in an industrial desert and actual desert and found some less than 5 miles down the road from me...
Rollers and leveling feet are generally expensive on the used market because they're easy for any lazy idiot who fancies themselves a flipper to move whereas getting a brigeport through a man door requires exerting yourself to pull the table say nothing of all the ones that go missing in lunchboxes. Kinda the same reason cast iron lathe and workbench legs go for more than the complete assemblies. Having to deal with the whole thing is a high enough bar to weed out all the useless fucks and drop the price a ton. Vices are expensive too but they're so numerous and hard to ship that you can usually fine deals. Since you can ship feet or skates anywhere they wind up expensive because you're competing with a bunch of worthless people on the other side of the country.

Regardless, the Chinese are already making Hilmans. There's plenty on Alibaba. In a few years someone will be importing them to the US and Europe, the resultant volume will drive down the price and this whole discussion will be irrelevant and the only people paying high prices will be some soveriegn citizen out in the desert who wants to chest thump about American iron. And since there's no industry or people doing jack shit out there some guy will buy them off his estate for $200 the same way you got yours. :flipoff2:

Screen Shot 2023-09-08 at 8.22.08 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-09-08 at 8.21.33 AM.png

Nylon will probably be slightly easier to roll assuming the bearings are the same. Reason being that it will deform a bit for any small imperfections, where steel doesn't, so every little spec of dirt acts like a chock.
That's kind of what I was thinking since all my concrete is fairly rough.

That said, the guy on Cutting Edge Engineering split the nylon off one of his rollers. That's the only thing I'm worried about. What do you think my odds of doing that are seeing as I'm not moving 40k machines?

On the other hand, if you're jacking up a machine enough to use a roller then you can easily jack it up another 1/4 and throw some flat stock under the path of the roller to account for cracks in the concrete and whatnot. Could even throw down flat stock or C-channel as tracks for the rollers to run in. Maybe steel is the way to go...

i'd say if you operate reasonably within the rating of the rollers and they're not chinesium you're probably fine. Personally I have all my machinery sitting on casters on a base frame. Machines are in the 3-6k lb range, and it's worked out fairly well. Not exactly going to push them around with a fingertip, but wouldn't really want that anyway.

IMG_0774.jpg
IMG_0772.jpg
IMG_0771.jpg

Could even throw down flat stock or C-channel as tracks for the rollers to run in. Maybe steel is the way to go...
I used to sell channel track for moving 10k lbs escalator sections. Concrete was usually rough and they would roll gantry cranes on the tracks until they got to the hole.

Once they went into the hole they slid on angle iron track that fit v grooves on the section.

Top Back Refresh