What's new

Stainless/ Marine 12 Gauge?

barrelroll

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
Alaska
I'm looking for a stainless 12 gauge to bring along on the boat (salt water) and drag along for bears when we go for a hike/ stay at a cabin. The last shotgun I bought was an 870 10+ years ago, it been a great anvil of a gun though not currently in Alaska, I don't really keep up on guns and I hear Remington's quality has really gone down hill. I'd prefer to stay in the $500-$600 range though could be convinced to spend more/ less. The mossburg 590 mariner and 500 tactical both look like decent guns in my price range. I'm thinking pistol grip would be nice though I've never shot a pistol grip 12 gauge. I'm basically looking for a simple, rust resistant, anvil of a 12 gauge, not concerned about fancy just reliable, what would you buy and why?

We carried Remington marine magnum 870s in Afghanistan. That was the days before the Freedom Group destroyed them.

Rem 870 stainless on my boat. Gets any salt rinsed off when I hose down the boat. Still good after 10 years. I wouldnt worry about a Mossberg either. Just make sure its 100% stainless some of the earlier ones werent.

Reactions: DMG
We carried Remington marine magnum 870s in Afghanistan. That was the days before the Freedom Group destroyed them.

Most likely buying new, hence why I'm a little leery of Remington. I'm far from in the know though it sounds like my 2009ish 870 is a much better built 870 than a 2022 Remington. The Remington are also $300 more than a comparable Mossberg.

I like Mossburg. They have spring grips that take some of the sting out of a 12. Even better is the “road blocker” , but they don’t have it in stainless.

I like Mossburg. They have spring grips that take some of the sting out of a 12. Even better is the “road blocker” , but they don’t have it in stainless.
Those things are stupid as fuck.

Most likely buying new, hence why I'm a little leery of Remington. I'm far from in the know though it sounds like my 2009ish 870 is a much better built 870 than a 2022 Remington. The Remington are also $300 more than a comparable Mossberg.
I bought my 870 in 2001. The new ones feel like shit to me.

Those things are stupid as fuck.
They look stupid, but they work. I have two brothers. One has a stainless pistol grip with the spring in the grip. The other has a fixed pistol grip and I have the road blocker with the spring grip. We went out shooting one day and decided to do a test. We stood with our hand out And eyes closed. Then one of us would hand a gun to them and they would shoot one handed. All three of us did this multiple times. Mine was by far the least kick. It sure makes a difference when shooting 3” slugs.

They look stupid, but they work. I have two brothers. One has a stainless pistol grip with the spring in the grip. The other has a fixed pistol grip and I have the road blocker with the spring grip. We went out shooting one day and decided to do a test. We stood with our hand out And eyes closed. Then one of us would hand a gun to them and they would shoot one handed. All three of us did this multiple times. Mine was by far the least kick. It sure makes a difference when shooting 3” slugs.
Or you could just buy one with a stock like God intended. I’ll take my 14 inch 870 over that abortion any day of the week.

Used to be a Remington 870 fan over the Mossberg 500-590, but with the whole "freedom group" and bankruptcy the 870 isn't what it used to be.
I have an old beautifully blued wingmaster with a 20" barrel and a 28" barrel.

Mossberg has the 590 mariner. During covid these were going for stupid money, but it seems they are more avaliable lately.

Benelli makes a marine Nova. It's a bit plasticy in the receiver, but I have seen these take massive amounts of abuse without batting and eye.

Winchester pumps are now made in Turkey, that may bother you, or not.

I would not buy a new remington. Would probably go with an old Winchester 1200 stainless or an old 870 marine magnum.

Used to be a Remington 870 fan over the Mossberg 500-590, but with the whole "freedom group" and bankruptcy the 870 isn't what it used to be.
I have an old beautifully blued wingmaster with a 20" barrel and a 28" barrel.

Mossberg has the 590 mariner. During covid these were going for stupid money, but it seems they are more avaliable lately.

Benelli makes a marine Nova. It's a bit plasticy in the receiver, but I have seen these take massive amounts of abuse without batting and eye.

Winchester pumps are now made in Turkey, that may bother you, or not.

I would not buy a new remington. Would probably go with an old Winchester 1200 stainless or an old 870 marine magnum.
Spelling error?
Screenshot_20220420-202043_Chrome.jpg

I would go with the 590 Mariner

I have no experience with the mariner, but I have become a big fan of Mossberg’s 500/590 shotguns :smokin:

I ended up with a Winchester SXP Marine Defender. Nowhere had the Mossberg mariner in stock locally and we are headed out on a trip staying at a couple remote cabins next round of days off. It feels decent for a cheap gun, we'll see how I like it after I take it to the range and it bounces in and out of the boat for 2 weeks. I'm thinking about grabbing a piece of PVC and some pipe test plugs to make a salt water friendly case for it that doesn't scream it's a gun case.

I ended up with a Winchester SXP Marine Defender. Nowhere had the Mossberg mariner in stock locally and we are headed out on a trip staying at a couple remote cabins next round of days off. It feels decent for a cheap gun, we'll see how I like it after I take it to the range and it bounces in and out of the boat for 2 weeks. I'm thinking about grabbing a piece of PVC and some pipe test plugs to make a salt water friendly case for it that doesn't scream it's a gun case.
You are going to a “couple remote cabins”. Why the fuck do you care if it looks like a gun case? Guns are more common than alcoholic Inuit.

Gonna guess for the times it gets left in the boat...
You are going to a “couple remote cabins”. Why the fuck do you care if it looks like a gun case? Guns are more common than alcoholic Inuit.

That would be my thought as well, but why are you bothering bringing it if it’s getting left in the boat? Aside from a trip to a restaurant/bar if they exist there.

Also, if it is loaded into a PVC tube full of salt air for a week, it WILL become a rusty POS, stainless or not.

Gonna guess for the times it gets left in the boat...

Yep. There are towns, they are just spaced out, like a 120 mile run to the town south of here with nothing in between. We will sometimes stop and grab a meal, fuel, groceries, or just check a place out. If we bring our boat with a locking cabin it's not as big of a deal, if we bring out open boat it will be sitting in the boat while we are in town and even though Alaska is very gun friendly it's still frowned upon to walk around the grocery store with a shotgun on your back. A gun case is pretty obvious, a tube of PVC not so much. A pelican gun case is almost more than the gun it's self and every case they had at sportsman's was much longer than the actual gun equaling a lot of wasted space in a small boat.

My plan was to throw a couple desiccant bags and some closed cell foam in the PVC.

One of the mossburgs actually comes with a case like I'm describing

Mossberg 500 JIC Mariner - Buy Mossberg 500 Tactical JIC Mariner

Yep. There are towns, they are just spaced out, like a 120 mile run to the town south of here with nothing in between. We will sometimes stop and grab a meal, fuel, groceries, or just check a place out. If we bring our boat with a locking cabin it's not as big of a deal, if we bring out open boat it will be sitting in the boat while we are in town and even though Alaska is very gun friendly it's still frowned upon to walk around the grocery store with a shotgun on your back. A gun case is pretty obvious, a tube of PVC not so much. A pelican gun case is almost more than the gun it's self and every case they had at sportsman's was much longer than the actual gun equaling a lot of wasted space in a small boat.

My plan was to throw a couple desiccant bags and some closed cell foam in the PVC.

One of the mossburgs actually comes with a case like I'm describing

Mossberg 500 JIC Mariner - Buy Mossberg 500 Tactical JIC Mariner
Pelican case more expensive than the gun? I own multiple pelican gun cases. Never paid more than $270 for the biggest one.:confused:

Pelican case more expensive than the gun? I own multiple pelican gun cases. Never paid more than $270 for the biggest one.:confused:

Case in stock $319.99 Pelican Protector Long Case with Wheels - Black

Gun in question $369.99 Winchester SXP Marine Defender Pump Shotgun

So $40 less than the gun is almost as expensive as the gun. The Winchester wasn't exactly spendy though throwing it under the berth without protection is just asking for problems.

Here's the pilot house boat mid project in the mockup stage. Not a ton of room for 2 people, an 80lb dog, and gear for a couple weeks. I don't think a commercially made hard case will fit under the berth without eating up half of the storage space, a piece of pvc will.

20220527_145537.jpg

20220527_145635.jpg

Honestly if you have time I'd grab a used shotgun I liked and send it off to get hard-chromed or a good Cera-Coat.

Hot dip galvanized. :flipoff2:
Old farmer I worked for in HS thought "Cold Galvanizing" from the spray can was the fix for any kind of rust. His Marlin 30-30 and single shot 12G that rode in his truck was fully coated with it! Well, at least it wasn't rusty but probably had never been properly cleaned(that was done with a can of brake-clean and an air-hose)!

Old farmer I worked for in HS thought "Cold Galvanizing" from the spray can was the fix for any kind of rust. His Marlin 30-30 and single shot 12G that rode in his truck was fully coated with it! Well, at least it wasn't rusty but probably had never been properly cleaned(that was done with a can of brake-clean and an air-hose)!
That shit is fuckin expensive (and best applied to bare steel).

I assume he was too dumb (or maybe he was too smart) to fully strip it and coat the inside bits for corrosion protection. Those probably wouldn't play nice with it.

Last edited:
Or you could just buy one with a stock like God intended. I’ll take my 14 inch 870 over that abortion any day of the week.
It’s funny, if you goggle “road blocker”, you will get all kinds of guys saying the same as you. Of course, none of them have ever shot one. It reminds me of guys that say “dont ever have lockers if you drive in snow” or “you can’t drive full hydro on the road”. I have a Keltech with a stock. I’ve shot it till my shoulder was sore. Never had a sore shoulder with my Mossberg.

Your 870 is a fine weapon, but my Mossberg is too. My wife can’t shoot yours, but she can shoot mine.

It’s funny, if you goggle “road blocker”, you will get all kinds of guys saying the same as you. Of course, none of them have ever shot one. It reminds me of guys that say “dont ever have lockers if you drive in snow” or “you can’t drive full hydro on the road”. I have a Keltech with a stock. I’ve shot it till my shoulder was sore. Never had a sore shoulder with my Mossberg.

Your 870 is a fine weapon, but my Mossberg is too. My wife can’t shoot yours, but she can shoot mine.
My 870 has 30% less recoil than a regular ol 870. Your wife could shoot it just fine.

Top Back Refresh