What's new

Springfield M1A

Looking at a Burris 2-7 scout scope. Not exactly sure just yet. If you can shoot steel at 400 yards with a red dot the 2-7 should be plenty for me.

Last edited:
Picked it up this morning.
9D1EB3DD-1693-45E9-AF35-E645182B5711.jpeg

Got this in the mail yesterday. Would it be a sin to put a 3 prong on it?
B630AFF9-A3FA-4954-99FA-90B9DDCAD8FB.jpeg

Do it. Then take it out, shoot it suppressed and unsuppressed. Give feed back.
Thanks,

I have several 3prong AAC QD mounts on barrels. They’re shorter than the M14 that fh so they don’t ring as much.

I put a Sage International Mk14 Mod0 EBR chassis on mine back when they were selling them to the Navy. It's pretty cool and easy shooting (heavy), but not the most accurate. I think the original configuration with the iron sights is pretty nice too.

PICT0008.JPG
PICT0016.JPG
PIC0008x.jpg
PICT0002.JPG

Last edited:
I put a Sage International Mk14 Mod0 EBR chassis on mine back when they were selling them to the Navy. It's pretty cool and easy shooting (heavy), but not the most accurate. I think the original configuration with the iron sights is pretty nice too.

Can you attach a mk87 line throwing kit? That’s the most use the navy got out of m14’s. If you stepped up to the rail with that thing they’d probably run for cover or open fire on you.

Finally got the parts to mount my can. These guns do not run on NATO surplus 7.62. This should fix the slight undergassing.
C3401ADF-6DCD-4E64-9BA0-29D820045C50.jpeg

Finally got the parts to mount my can. These guns do not run on NATO surplus 7.62. This should fix the slight undergassing.
C3401ADF-6DCD-4E64-9BA0-29D820045C50.jpeg
?? My Socom runs on everything

Springfield doesn’t recommend surplus ammo in these guns due to the modified gas system.
I have never heard that or seen it anywhere. Their website says my Socom takes 308/7.62x51 nato. 7.62x51 nato is surplus ammo, right?

Why have a battle rifle if you can't shoot nato spec ammo through it?
Heard about problems running commercial ammo in rifles like hk91s that are hard on brass.

Reactions: DMG
Why have a battle rifle if you can't shoot nato spec ammo through it?
Heard about problems running commercial ammo in rifles like hk91s that are hard on brass.
I’ll sell my Socom and buy another FAL if I can’t shoot surplus. I am guessing that if it is a problem, I would have noticed by now.

Nato allows sloppier headspacing but the brass is also thicker, compared to 308 win.

Last edited:
The only cartridges that didn't work in my M1A were my very first reloads. I started with a recipe that "promised" a wicked tight group, and it did but I had to bump the powder load up a grain to get it to cycle reliably. Other than that issue every non-handloaded cartridge has functioned just fine (asian milsurp to the cheapest stuff at Bass Pro, .308 or 7,62 labelled),

Reactions: DMG
Updating this. Finally got to shoot it today. Took 3 times to adjust the gas down. I turned it down as far as I could and have the bolt lock back. Shoots very nice.
47C774FE-A7F0-43FE-AD68-D4E165E24E6A.png

Attachments

• IMG_2312.MOV
    23.5 MB
  • 372B1A48-DAF8-431D-9EFC-C3B683713577.jpeg
    372B1A48-DAF8-431D-9EFC-C3B683713577.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 7
Have 200 rounds of Norinco 308 for $100.00 + the trip.

15 lbs box 12x12x10 from Paradise Calif 95969

Have 200 rounds of Norinco 308 for $100.00 + the trip.

15 lbs box 12x12x10 from Paradise Calif 95969
Tempting but no thanks. It’s loaded too hot for me. My cousin had some. Every 5th or 6th round had a split case.

Reactions: PAE
Mine shoots pretty darn good but the adjustable gas "regulator" has piqued my curiosity. However, I'm thinking that it's almost a requirement for the 16" barrel and, perhaps, less effective/necessary for the 22" barrel (Especially with my handloads and no suppressor. In effect I would need to turn the gas UP). Hmmm, food for thought... :beer:

Mine shoots pretty darn good but the adjustable gas "regulator" has piqued my curiosity. However, I'm thinking that it's almost a requirement for the 16" barrel and, perhaps, less effective/necessary for the 22" barrel (Especially with my handloads and no suppressor. In effect I would need to turn the gas UP). Hmmm, food for thought... :beer:
Schuster sells several gas plugs for the 22 inch M1A also. Mine is SOCOM specific.

I bought a loaded 10 years ago maybe. We used to make parts for springfield so we get there partners price or whatever its called. I know it was 1800 retail at the time I got it for 1200. Threw a sage EBR on it and a millett scope. Scope is holding up nice. Put probably 500 or 600 rounds through it through the years. Love hooting it. But she is a heavy girl and needs a bench. it. But she is a heavy girl and needs a bench. Sold the one with the precision stock and bought other shit.

Attachments

• 20170331_162334.jpg
    20170331_162334.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 9
I bought a loaded 10 years ago maybe. We used to make parts for springfield so we get there partners price or whatever its called. I know it was 1800 retail at the time I got it for 1200. Threw a sage EBR on it and a millett scope. Scope is holding up nice. Put probably 500 or 600 rounds through it through the years. Love hooting it. But she is a heavy girl and needs a bench. it. But she is a heavy girl and needs a bench. Sold the one with the precision stock and bought other shit.
The Sage chassis is nice but they don’t make the gun any lighter. When I took the silencer off it felt like it didn’t weigh anything.

I've had a loaded M1a for at least 20 years. It's one of my favorite rifles. I bought it with a 1st gen 4x14 Springfield scope. Picked it out of several because it's all TRW stamped parts. Started using the scope the past few years because my eyesight is not what it once was. It eats every type of ammo I have tried, from 40 year old surplus to Norico, to match ammo, never had a FTF, misfeed, nothing. The caliber stamp isn't .308, it's 7.62. The only mods I have done are I had the gas system unitized with the screw and glue method, and I changed the flash hider for a muzzle break so I didn't have to register it as a assault rifle right before ban #2. Break actually works to help keep the muzzle down, but its a lot louder.

It's heavy, not really a rifle to take hiking, but it really shoots. Maybe I got lucky, but mine seems very accurate for a semi-auto.

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh