What's new

Springfield M1A

Aisin

Grumpy old fuck
Member Number
Anyone here have one? I bought one yesterday from Palmetto State. It popped up on their daily deals for $1500. Should be here Monday. I wasn’t planning on buying one but I’ve always had a thing for them. My grandfather had 2 Garands. People online say they are garbage. Not sure where the hatred comes from. I realize it’s not an AR10. Are there any optic mounts that don’t involve an aftermarket chassis?

Post up what you like as it's on my list.

I'm right hand, left eye, so Bula is my only option.

I have a loaded M1A NM. When I bought it, it was a pound or so LIGHTER than a DPMS AR10. Things have changed since. Yes, there are excellent optic mounts for the rifle without the need for an aftermarket chassis. These will set you back ~$700, however, and there is no guarantee that you will not have ejection issues with ANY scope mounted. The rifle was never intended to have a scope on it. There is hate for the M1A because of Springfield's politics, I think, and probably rightly so. Politics aside, they are, maybe, unnecessarily pricey. Even with that said, I really like mine, and it is my 300+ yd gun using only the irons (NM have very good sights).

I have a loaded M1A NM. When I bought it, it was a pound or so LIGHTER than a DPMS AR10. Things have changed since. Yes, there are excellent optic mounts for the rifle without the need for an aftermarket chassis. These will set you back ~$700, however, and there is no guarantee that you will not have ejection issues with ANY scope mounted. The rifle was never intended to have a scope on it. There is hate for the M1A because of Springfield's politics, I think, and probably rightly so. Politics aside, they are, maybe, unnecessarily pricey. Even with that said, I really like mine, and it is my 300+ yd gun using only the irons (NM have very good sights).
Thanks for your reply. I might just toss a scout scope on it and call it good.

on my list too. But seems it's just an expensive gun that doesn't really do much very well in comparison to what's available now I suppose.

on my list too. But seems it's just an expensive gun that doesn't really do much very well in comparison to what's available now I suppose.
I already own an AR10. I basically bought it for the nostalgia. Does that make me a Fudd?

If you're not gonna dump mag after mag why not buy an M1? :stirthepot:
7.62 isn’t cheap these days. All of that NATO surplus is long gone for now. I ordered a couple of items to suppress the gun.

If you're not gonna dump mag after mag why not buy an M1? :stirthepot:
I've been considering selling my M1A and buying one of the CMP rebuilt garands in 308 for that reason.

The M1A is a fun shooting gun, but consolidating magazines (clips in this case) is high on my list. It is easier to put a scope on an M1A though, garands require drilling or some hackery, good M1A have the holes already.

I've been considering selling my M1A and buying one of the CMP rebuilt garands in 308 for that reason.

The M1A is a fun shooting gun, but consolidating magazines (clips in this case) is high on my list. It is easier to put a scope on an M1A though, garands require drilling or some hackery, good M1A have the holes already.

I was on the fence, FAL or M1A, I went FAL and wish I'd bought both. Have the Garand, but my battle rifle collection is missing the M14/M1A.

I guess that's me saying, if you're looking to re-home a M1A, and I can convince Jewels that we need to adopt it, let me know.

Fun rifle when you could get cheap battle packs of ammo.

Have a JRA built on a Bula receiver. It fills the m14 spot in the battle rifle collection, but I don't shoot it much at all. It shoots fine and is fun to take to the range.
It is not a go to rifle for me, but is pretty in hand rubbed walnut stock.

20181223_121538.jpg

Sooo I love anything .308 or .30-06. or .45 for that matter.

I have a garand on order, But a box mag .308 is appealing. While I love the socom16 with reddot idea, I would not be opposed to ar10. My understanding is the ar10 platforn is very different than the ar15 platform in that it's not all plug and play compatible. Are there good, affordable ar10 platforms that give the m1a a run for bang for buck?

Reactions: PAE

I have a garand on order, But a box mag .308 is appealing. While I love the socom16 with reddot idea, I would not be opposed to ar10. My understanding is the ar10 platforn is very different than the ar15 platform in that it's not all plug and play compatible. Are there good, affordable ar10 platforms that give the m1a a run for bang for buck?

You can probably get a AR10 that would be more accurate than a base M1A for about half the price. But it would be a soulless chunk of aluminum.

AR10s are for someone who wants tacticool and easy or want to hang goofy shit off of it. M1A/FAL/G3 for those who want a classic battle rifle.

AFAIK, there are two standards for a ".308 AR style" rifle, DPMS and Armalite. There are many parts between the two "standards" that don't interchange, including magazines. Could you buy an "AR10" (in whichever standard) cheaper that can match a M1A in accuracy? Almost certainly if you are looking at a NM M1A. Additionally, you would have the modularity of whichever standard you chose PLUS the ease of mounting optics. You get no modularity with a M1A but you can buy an entire chassis that gives the illusion of modularity. But... if you try out a NM M1A you might think it's worth it.

I had a Scout model years ago. The best shooting load I had was with Hornady 155 grain A-max's with Varget powder. I can look up the specifics if you want some load data.
I am currently using a couple AR-10T's, .243 & .308. I prefer the AR platform for varmint calling. The M1A's buttstock is slick and heavy. So, it takes more muscle tension to keep at the ready. The AR-10's are heavy also, I would say around 16 pounds with optics and suppressor.

I can agree with no soul....A garand was made for me. I have never shot or handled a gun that felt more natural to me. So maybe I could do a socom16 or scout...:grinpimp:

I can agree with no soul....A garand was made for me. I have never shot or handled a gun that felt more natural to me. So maybe I could do a socom16 or scout...:grinpimp:
I ran my garand through a tactical style rifle competition. All short range, fast movement stuff. For a nearly 100 year old gun it was amazingly fluid to use, clip changes were very fast and smooth to pick up on, despite the weight and length it was easy and intuitive to handle. Really pretty amazing how well it did, didnt even come in last despite going against a bunch of ARs, MPXs and other high speed low drag stuff.

The muzzle blast did knock 3 targets off their stands, force one very close target to be knocked over and took down the separator tarp.

I ran my garand through a tactical style rifle competition. All short range, fast movement stuff. For a nearly 100 year old gun it was amazingly fluid to use, clip changes were very fast and smooth to pick up on, despite the weight and length it was easy and intuitive to handle. Really pretty amazing how well it did, didnt even come in last despite going against a bunch of ARs, MPXs and other high speed low drag stuff.

The muzzle blast did knock 3 targets off their stands, force one very close target to be knocked over and took down the separator tarp.
Right! might be the best "battle rifle" invented

I have a Loaded version, originally stainless with composite stock. But I hated the stock and bought a wood take off for it.

Due to my eye issues, I had to put a scope on it. Just a basic Primary Arms 4x14. Using a Sadlak mount which went on easily and has been rock solid. Also have the Sadlak spring guide.

I also run the Tac Pro cheek rest Strap-on cheek rest, M14/M1A – TAC PRO Inc. for better scpe alignment and comfort. It shoots pretty good.
20181019_120602.jpg

Mine included a hard case (since were posting up pics). :laughing:
M1A.JPG

Mine is the Socom 16 in black multicam. Should be here Friday. I also bought a muzzle thread adapter to mount a can and an adjustable gas plug.

Reactions: DMG

I'm sure you're shooting AR500/550 targets, but I took my IHC Garand over to my buddy's place. He had a big rectangle, ~4x5' plate of 1/2" mild steel he'd hung up from a homemade frame, and had been shooting it with hand guns for a year or more.

We'd been shooting any number of handguns from .22 LR to .460 S&W at it. Probably not the smartest thing being mild steel. Buddy wanted to shoot the Garand at it, I said I didn't think that it was a good idea, he asked why, to which I said, it'll probably put a hole in your plate. He scoffed, and said, nah. We backed up to about 25-30 yards, and he proceeded to put a 150 Gr, Monarch or PPU, .30-06 round right through his plate. :homer:

No more rifles shot at that thing.

M1A scope mount I’ll sell. Includes all pieces and install instructions.
9DA022BF-CB05-45D9-A13C-CAF537E15A4E.jpeg

I have the Socom 16. It is fun to shoot and has never jammed\ftf/etc.

Top Back Refresh