What's new

Spinoff RE: stolen UTV - GPS trackers

j20brett

I break things
Member Number
Loc
Katy, Tx
It seems thief's are getting better and better at stealing our shit. What's the best way to track your mobile assets; IE buggy, SXS, car, lawnmower, wife, mistress, kids, etc?

Edited to add a list:

Last edited:
if using Samsung or apple tags wont the thief just do a scan to see if one is present?

Insurance and don't go to shitty places.

I can leave guns on my truck seat with it unlocked with no worries. My mower hasn't been inside in years. 4 wheeler is outside under a cover with a key in it.

But I live in a small town where people still go missing for being shitbags. :flipoff2:

if using Samsung or apple tags wont the thief just do a scan to see if one is present?
I would think so, it may be a bit of a deterrent .... unless they find it. Don't those things need permission of other devices to report their location?

You can get them as small as a Die, but they take a SIM card and cell service.

So costs you $20? a month to track your stuff?
$240 a year at least.

Insurance costs less than that. I think my boats and ATVs are $5 a month each.

But then my junk isn't really worth anything anyway.

I am ordering these to hide in all the units

$250 each, 3 years service, 5 year battery life
Ha, i've got those pulled up on my screen now and was thinking they'd be the ticket. What happens after the 3 years of service expires? Assume you can renew the service for xx fee?

The whole state of Texas is a shitty place for trucks.

In for tech for the best/concealable trackers. It's on the to do list.
Seriously. A buddy was in an rv campground in the Woodlands (north houston). His f250 was remotely unlocked 10-ft from his camper while he was sleeping, pushed down the drive a little ways and they programmed a new key and drove the fucker away.

I dont agree. Most the time, they steal your truck and park it somewhere inconspicuous for a week or 2 to make sure it isnt being tracked. They found my friends truck 1.5 wks later near the Galleria in houston. Neighbors had been calling the police for 3 or 4 days about a suspicious vehicle that showed up, took them a week to actually show up and take a look. If ive got a tracker, i'll find that bitch the next morning.

I dont agree. Most the time, they steal your truck and park it somewhere inconspicuous for a week or 2 to make sure it isnt being tracked. They found my friends truck 1.5 wks later near the Galleria in houston. Neighbors had been calling the police for 3 or 4 days about a suspicious vehicle that showed up, took them a week to actually show up and take a look. If ive got a tracker, i'll find that bitch the next morning.
Your buddy's truck wasn't stolen by a pro if that was what happened.

Good of place as any. The government knows your truck was stolen... and doesnt care.
20220530_213331.jpg

I would think so, it may be a bit of a deterrent .... unless they find it. Don't those things need permission of other devices to report their location?
No, there are some cool youtube videos of people mailing pakages to russia and stuff with airtags to track the shipment

Interesting. There are a couple apartment complexes near Greenspoint (gunpoint) where they usually park them. There was a shooting at one of them this morning that I suspect might be related to stolen vehicle activity.

I am ordering these to hide in all the units

$250 each, 3 years service, 5 year battery life
do they have a feature where you set a geofence where it automatically alerts you when they get say > 50-60 mi from your shop?

I always assumed the SXS rental companies in Moab had these on them out there. Some trails are not allowed, or some obstacles are not allowed in a rental.

Friend rented a KRX and she was told she could run Hell's Revenge but not Hell's Gate or Escalator. I figured they had a tracker on them to let them know if you brought it back damaged and did the damage on a banned obstacle. :confused:

I have a Spot Trace on the Argo. I like that it sends me an email every evening to let me know it is still working, or if the batt runs low. I have had some false movement on it though, but very rare and I just confirm through the security cam that it is still there. Not happy with Spots pricing, but it is what I went with. I almost wish someone would take it as I would like to be put to the test and figure how medieval I truly would get in that situation. We are all badasses on the interwebs but ....real life?
Would I go crying to the cops?
Would I go steal it back?
Would I go steal it back and leave bodies?

Only one way to know for sure

The problem with the gps trackers is anyone with half a brain who's going to steal a rental expects it to have a tracker and will have a bug detector on them to find and disable it before you know it's gone. I'd want one (maybe a secondary) that had to be triggered by something before it started transmitting, like a microswitch that only turned it on when out of park. If the plan is to find the tracker, load it on a trailer and get the hell out of there they won't scan for it in gear, but they still have to drive or roll it off the trailer.

The problem with the gps trackers is anyone with half a brain who's going to steal a rental expects it to have a tracker and will have a bug detector on them to find and disable it before you know it's gone. I'd want one (maybe a secondary) that had to be triggered by something before it started transmitting, like a microswitch that only turned it on when out of park. If the plan is to find the tracker, load it on a trailer and get the hell out of there they won't scan for it in gear, but they still have to drive or roll it off the trailer.
The trackers should be dormant/undetectable for 5 or 10 minutes at a time, and then ping a signal. Then it would be alive for less than a second and no one with a scanner will be likely to detect it.

The trackers should be dormant/undetectable for 5 or 10 minutes at a time, and then ping a signal. Then it would be alive for less than a second and no one with a scanner will be likely to detect it.
the ones I bought will only ping 2x per day, once every 12 hours.

they will not be found.

Pro's can jam trackers. But it sure would be fun to roll in on your local inbreeds who thought they got away with stealing your shit.

I'm gonna try these guys...someday.

Screen Shot 2022-06-07 at 4.45.39 PM.png

They said:
Message: Can I install one of your trackers with no service, then activate it later (if my vehicle is stolen!)?

That is a fairly common question we get as a company and it is something we usually don't recommend. In theory, it could work just fine and you are free to install just the hardware you purchased.

The concern is that there is no better test case for a device than making sure it works the way you use it; whether it is the way the device is wired in/powered, the placement of the device inside of something that could cause interference and lack of cell signal, or some other variable associated with installing a particular device. It is always good to see if it works correctly before letting it out into the world and not being able to troubleshoot it once it is stolen/removed of course.

So we usually recommend trying the device out a 1-month subscription for $14.95 for 1., to make sure it works in your specific use case in your specific area, and 2., to remove any doubt about any of those variables if something were to happen to your asset and the tracker was not reporting after you activate it.

Let us know if you have any questions about any specific device we carry and we will be glad to assist you.

Thank you,

Luke

Top Back Refresh