What's new

Spin Off To Stucks Thread, How Fast Can You Reset A Bolt Action Rifle?

And if the target was more than 10 feet away he missed every damn one of them.
You might be surprised. The whole point is the gun never comes down and the sights are always right there. Just because you can't do it doesn't mean that guy couldn't. I mean I don't think your hitting at 100 yards but I bet you can do better than that. Also it doesn't really matter if your targets are unarmed and unarmored.

The ancient worn the fuck out Remington .22 bolt I grew up shooting rock chucks I could cycle and never take my eye off the target as the furry bastards were running.

That's a sloppy action with a short throw.

My .17 hmr savage is still new that it's notchy as hell and not nearly as smooth and fluid to cycle so follow up shots aren't as likely to hit their mark.

I'm faster than average with a bolt gun, but I really shine with a muzzle loader.

I had 4 deer come in on me one time and I dropped them all with four shots from a single shot front stuffer cap lock muzzle loader. My two hunting buddies said it sounded like a someone firing a bolt gun. I held 3 speed loaders with my mouth and never put the ram rod down.

You might be surprised. The whole point is the gun never comes down and the sights are always right there. Just because you can't do it doesn't mean that guy couldn't. I mean I don't think your hitting at 100 yards but I bet you can do better than that. Also it doesn't really matter if your targets are unarmed and unarmored.

Look at his muzzle. It's all over the place and he's pulling the trigger with his ring finger as soon as he slaps the bolt shut.

Yes it's fast.

But what's the point if you're not hitting anything?

And I've seen him shoot. He's nothing special.

Look at his muzzle. It's all over the place and he's pulling the trigger with his ring finger as soon as he slaps the bolt shut.

Yes it's fast.

But what's the point if you're not hitting anything?

And I've seen him shoot. He's nothing special.
There is a difference between minute of 4 inch plate and minute of person. I bet you could do plenty of damage that way to a bunch of unarmed people. Which was pretty much the context of the question.

326052055_1189891315235596_5372248056386988975_n.jpg

I own a couple bolt rifles. The only one I use on a regular basis is my old single shot .22.

I have never thought of using a bolt rifle for suppressive fire. I always looked at a bolt rifle as more of a “surgical tool”.

Reactions: BDK
Years ago I saw a video, not sure what discipline it was, or what country it was, but they were shooting open site bolt action rifles insanely fast. Cycling the bolt with their thumb and first two fingers and pressing the trigger with their ring finger as the bolt closed. It was some sort of bullseye shooting, so they were hitting what they were aiming at. I’m thinking they were firing as fast as they could so they were in the same environmental contritions star to finish.

Years ago I saw a video, not sure what discipline it was, or what country it was, but they were shooting open site bolt action rifles insanely fast. Cycling the bolt with their thumb and first two fingers and pressing the trigger with their ring finger as the bolt closed. It was some sort of bullseye shooting, so they were hitting what they were aiming at. I’m thinking they were firing as fast as they could so they were in the same environmental contritions star to finish.
I saw a similar video but couldn't find it.

Years ago I saw a video, not sure what discipline it was, or what country it was, but they were shooting open site bolt action rifles insanely fast. Cycling the bolt with their thumb and first two fingers and pressing the trigger with their ring finger as the bolt closed.
Trying to fig out how that works, I may break out the old Remington and try some dry-fire experiments

He's (Stuck)referring to semi automatic weapons'.

AR's Pistols stuff like that I don't even know how many what nots are out there. Just what piques my interest.

I'm just curious how fast some of the bad asses can

set up say a dear rifle for the next very accurate shot.

Could be lever action or a bolt action gun or what ever your non semiautomatic gun of choice is.

I am no fire arms expert nor do I claim to be.

I know my preferred firearms and how to use and store them and that is it.

nobody has to answer and I am not looking for a particular thing.

I just figured there are probably some peeps in here that really have their shit together and and can sort out a refire quickly without a semi auto. Personally if I I had to reset, I'd starve to death Or my Indian name would be " starves to death"
Lever action much quicker than bolt for me

But the bolt 22lr is pretty dang quick :laughing:

After the second advanced combat shotgun class most of the people in the class could get 2 shots on target every 1.5 seconds with 870's and low base buckshot. I averaged 1.5 seconds per 3 shots, but I've been shooting since I was six. We took turns shooting 3 shells, then step back, partner does the same while you reload. After about 50 shells, you get pretty good. We shot the entire center square out of the target. Not much experience with bolt or lever action rifles.

A friend had a .30-30 Winchester carbine and he could very quickly get accurate fire downrange with that thing. I'm shopping for one currently.

Last edited:
No idea, never worked on it. I do work on finding the target after the shot and working the bolt without losing it.
First shot is the one that matters, don't miss and ya don't have to work the bolt at superhuman speed.

I hog hunt with bolt action rifles and I am not very good at shooting-chambering a new round-re-affix new/ same target. Only once have I successfully shot 2 pigs in the same hunt.... I have on a lot of hunts taken multiple shots at multiple hogs, but have only ever made a second kill shot one time.

It's not as easy as a lot of people think. We typically hunt at night with night vision. You shoot, the smoke and flame will white out your optics which basically blinds you for about 3 seconds, now the pigs are atleast 30-50 yards from where you first shot, now they are booking at 100 mph and 90% of the time its going away from you so your shot has to be adjusted. All of that happens in about 4-9 seconds.

Faster than I thought I could.
1674483089983.png

Two shots at ~15yds with the deer running full tilt. Only shooting lanes I had, the rest was too thick to shoot down that hill. FYI this is too close for 350 Legend. Absolute blood bath where the shots were. Crashed a little off the top of that screen shot, got spooked while I was letting it sit. Tracked blood for another 1300' according to my best tracking it's path on maps afterwards.

Two shots at ~15yds with the deer running full tilt. Only shooting lanes I had, the rest was too thick to shoot down that hill. FYI this is too close for 350 Legend. Absolute blood bath where the shots were. Crashed a little off the top of that screen shot, got spooked while I was letting it sit. Tracked blood for another 1300' according to my best tracking it's path on maps afterwards.

Ever find it?

Top Back Refresh