What's new

Spin Off To Stucks Thread, How Fast Can You Reset A Bolt Action Rifle?

Ever find it?
No, and it still baffles and angers me to this day. Either I got on the wrong trail or that was the toughest deer I've ever seen. I went back later and searched for a few more hours and we walked through there again once a day the next two days. When it got kicked back up, it came back my way and blood was coming from it's snout, couldn't get a third shot due to not knowing were a couple hunters were at that point. A little while later, one of my buddies came walking through the area I shot it and never questioned if I hit it. Just said "Jesus fuck that was a lot of blood". Best I can figure a .357 SP at 2,200FPS is too hot that close. Right through at least one lung and the heart, but never expanded.

Going to happen if you do it long enough.

if you poked a hole through thw lung and heart its dead on its feet. Hard to know where a guy hit something without having the thing on th ground

Dealt with something similar this year with a bear

Fastest bolt gun Ive used was a Swiss K31 straight pull, followed by an Enfield 2A-1....I'm a lefty though, so not like I'm quick with either :laughing:

K31 got me 3rd place overall in one of our "classic battle rifle" matches..Used the Enfield at a regular match for shits and giggles, didnt come in last :homer:

I'll have to dig up some pics...

Hardest guns for me to run fast are the ones in a chassis, especially the ones with an AR style grip

Same thing for a getting a rifle up an on target in a hurry

Depending on what I'm shooting at will determine the action of the rifle I'm using. Basic hunting, I prefer the bolt. In my opinion, it is more accurate. If you're accurate, there really isn't a need to be fast on cycling the bolt. 😉

Years ago I saw a video, not sure what discipline it was, or what country it was, but they were shooting open site bolt action rifles insanely fast. Cycling the bolt with their thumb and first two fingers and pressing the trigger with their ring finger as the bolt closed. It was some sort of bullseye shooting, so they were hitting what they were aiming at. I’m thinking they were firing as fast as they could so they were in the same environmental contritions star to finish.
olympic ski-shooting?

Depending on what I'm shooting at will determine the action of the rifle I'm using. Basic hunting, I prefer the bolt. In my opinion, it is more accurate. If you're accurate, there really isn't a need to be fast on cycling the bolt. 😉

Think last year was the last year i hunt with an AR. I can get a shot off with a bolt gun much faster.

As to the accuracy thing. With the exception of a few head/neck shots, I cant think of a deer that would have got away if I had been shooting a gun that averaged 3" groups.

Smoking toothpaste...must be another weird Cali thing :flipoff2:
Oh, gawd :shaking:- I suppose next you'll say you don't know how to use the 3 seashells

demolition-man-three-seashells.gif

:flipoff2:

On topic: I can cycle a bolt-action rifle (not "bolt gun", which is something different) fast-ish, but never timed shot-shot.

Zero clue what resetting a bolt-action firearm is - sounds electronic, therefore unwelcome on a pure-mechanical system.

My best guess is OP is thinking of a trigger resetting on a semi-auto firearm, then assuming & botching basic terminology.

He's (Stuck)referring to semi automatic weapons'.

AR's Pistols stuff like that I don't even know how many what nots are out there. Just what piques my interest.

I'm just curious how fast some of the bad asses can

set up say a dear rifle for the next very accurate shot.

Could be lever action or a bolt action gun or what ever your non semiautomatic gun of choice is.

I am no fire arms expert nor do I claim to be.

I know my preferred firearms and how to use and store them and that is it.

nobody has to answer and I am not looking for a particular thing.

I just figured there are probably some peeps in here that really have their shit together and and can sort out a refire quickly without a semi auto. Personally if I I had to reset, I'd starve to death Or my Indian name would be " starves to death"
Wth did I supposedly refer to?

Fastest bolt gun Ive used was a Swiss K31 straight pull, followed by an Enfield 2A-1....I'm a lefty though, so not like I'm quick with either :laughing:

K31 got me 3rd place overall in one of our "classic battle rifle" matches..Used the Enfield at a regular match for shits and giggles, didnt come in last :homer:

I'll have to dig up some pics...
I have a couple k31's. Neat rifles

Top Back Refresh