What's new

Spin-off Tankless hot water heaters

A properly sized one requires a ton of power. You can see the lights dim when they kick on. Some LED lighting will flicker.

People dont realize what is involved in changing from tank to tankless. More circuits and larger wire to the unit and sometimes a larger electric service to the house. I don't know the issues with gas side, but Im sure they have similar problems as the electric with adding the extra load. Everything is electric around here so I dont recommend them. If you have gas appliances, then maybe the electric would suit you better.

I was fortunate with the gas one I just put in. There was already a 1" steel main gas line ran into the mechanical room from the meter, so all I had to do was reconfigure the take offs to get a 3/4" going down to the water heater. Electric plugged into a standard outlet. The hardest part was getting the venting done.

A properly sized one requires a ton of power. You can see the lights dim when they kick on. Some LED lighting will flicker.

People dont realize what is involved in changing from tank to tankless. More circuits and larger wire to the unit and sometimes a larger electric service to the house. I don't know the issues with gas side, but Im sure they have similar problems as the electric with adding the extra load. Everything is electric around here so I dont recommend them. If you have gas appliances, then maybe the electric would suit you better.

All of that.
If you want to run one large one you’ll need a minimum 200A service in your house. Some of them recommend 300A because the
larger heaters will draw 150A at full flow.

I have one that takes 3- 40A circuits and when it kicks on with all 3 stages the lights flicker and depending on what else is running you can hear the furnace blower slow down. That’s with a new 200A service.

I suggest using multiple smaller ones at the point of use. That’s what we plan on doing if we build new. I’m thinking about splitting what I have now into 2 or 3 mounted next to each other.

I suggest using multiple smaller ones at the point of use. That’s what we plan on doing if we build new.

10000000% this is what makes them desirable and if cost isnt a factor in a new build this is the way to go

I have a Nortiz, about 8 years old now.

Great unit, I had the tank in my home before and I hate it, it took up what I think is a lot of space in my 13001square foot house.
I got the external mount Nortiz, it mounts of the out side of the house (no snow here) , with no venting required, mounted near the gas meter as well.
Easy, cheap, simple.

Man we got some tankless haters up in here:laughing:

We've got a Navien 180k btu in the basement. Feeds the basement full bath, the first floor half bath, 2 kitchen sinks, and the dish washer. The other Feeds the second floor only is a 240k btu navien. It feeds the master tub, master shower with 6 sprays:eek:, kids full bath, and washing machine. They are both commercial units that can go up to 140° if i so desire. They also are high flow units and can do up to 15 gpm. With the master running full tilt, one of the kids showering, and the washer going, i have yet to run out of hot water. They also saved a shit ton of space in my mechanical rooms where a tanked heater would not have fit....

I have nothing to add, other than what you dicks did to me on the old forums. :flipoff2:

Told me to print out an HF 20% off coupon and take that in hoping I'd embarrass myself. Well, the guy actually accepted it and it worked. :laughing:

The powered vent gas water heaters are great for remodels. Your vent is PVC and can run horizontal.

Top Back Refresh