What's new

Spin off sorta Bachelor Pad

Lawless

A turd in the herd
Member Number
Loc
Canuckistan
.45ACP thinks like I do, oh if I were ever to be single again I would live in the ultimate bachelor pad.

Here's your mission,

You have obtained a 100 x 100 shop 1 16' bay door with 20' ceiling and you can put it wherever you want. How would you outfit it as your pad?

Myself I would build a 40x40 corner mezzanine with 10' ceiling using stairs and a home brew elevator for access sort of an open concept. Full on drywall walls and ceiling smallish kitchen with all appliances and a wet bar in the games room. Bathroom guest would feature a urinal as well as a shitter, master bath would have a shower as well as a separate jetted tub. Big no strike that fucking huge TV that I can see from anywhere and a sound system to match. The outside would be plain old steel the more decrepit looking the better and a wrap around deck for the living area. It would also likely be sitting on 10 acres although I wouldn't be opposed to a huge lot fenced off with chain link and razor wire in an industrial area.

So, what would Irate do?

If it’s truly a bachelor pad, I wouldn’t build an official living area. Leave it all open aside from the mechanical room, bathroom, and an office. Put a kitchen along one of the walls. I’d have a toy hauler and when I wasn’t gone somewhere using it I’d park it in the shop and sleep in it. Added benefit to that is if you need the extra shop space for awhile you can pull it outside and still sleep in it.

Park an RV trailer outside, fill the inside with projects that will never be finished and parts I'll either never need, use, or be able to find.

Spend my days complaining about how I need a bigger shop, while simultaneously looking for more shit to cram in there.

Lawless basically nailed it for me, I'd wall off the living area from the shop and put in big windows to separate sounds and smells tho, our and a hayloft door so I can shoot clays from the couch :smokin:

big fucking shop and park a travel trailer inside with above ground pool

lean to on the back for my tire collection:laughing:

I actually did the big ass camping trailer in a shop 3 years ago, it seemed like a good idea at the time and 2 other guys went in with me to split the rent bringing their own trailers. 1st month was ok by month 6 winter was over and we all thought the idea sucked. Did not repeat that misadventure.:laughing: I lived in the trailer till winter then rented an apartment just to stay out of camp.:laughing:

I would build a somewhat garish greene and greene esque craftsman next to the shop. Screw trying to seal what I do in the shop out of the living space. 10 ft basement with a decent workout space, all the hot water I can handle, and beyond that who cares that's what I have a 100x100 shop for.

I'd build it over my existing house after tearing the roof, 3 season porch and mudroom off. My house would only taking up ~3 parking lot size spots. A lean to would be nice for the dozer and tractors, 2 lifts, probably good enough

The first thing I would do is ad about 7 more garage doors because I hate having to move stuff to get to other stuff. Then, well sealed 2 story 2 bedroom 2 bath living quarters along one wall with a porch outside, then divide the building into a bout 3 big rooms so finished cars aren't covered in grinding dust & sawdust, and all my misc. clutter on shelves and lawnmowers, and dirty outdoor equipment wouldn't be an eyesore .

Something I've wondered about the living area in a shop building; Do the gas, oil, paint, welding fumes get into the living area?
I've long considered doing something like this. I'm single, and just lost my job. Considering retiring early and eventually buying/building a shop-house somewhere.

Designed this about a decade ago and randomly work on the design. Mine would be a 200x60 with 18' ceiling. 2 story living quarters on one end 40' wide so it'd be a generous 2400 sq ft with the bottom floor being a giant kitchen/bar and entertaining area. A 14' wide garage/lawnmower/pantry/misc storage separating the shop from the living area to serve as a sound and odor barrier. If I ever sold it that would be prime rv parking so I'd put hookups in it.

The remaining area would have several doors and the end wall would be a hanger door with a 20x60 concrete slab with a 4 post lift for washing the underside of vehicles with a large french drain and a grease trap.

Misc 2 and 4 post lifts, 1 4 post would have alignment plates and a laser setup so I could do my own stuff, screw paying some hack to make my shit suck. LARGE stereo system and a quality projector to watch whatever on. My brother has a cheesy projector that everyone goes over to watch motocross every Saturday, I'd do the same thing with ufc pay per view and cleetus' events.

Something I've wondered about the living area in a shop building; Do the gas, oil, paint, welding fumes get into the living area?
I've long considered doing something like this. I'm single, and just lost my job. Considering retiring early and eventually buying/building a shop-house somewhere.

I was actually laying in bed last night and giving this some thought. The best plan I could come up with was to seal it up the best you can however we all know that's not a perfect plan as there will still be a very small amount of leakage. I figure pressurization is possibly the answer, wouldn't take much just a few psi of outside air should be enough to keep the fumes and dust out aside from what a guy would track in after playing in the shop.

This is a common complaint I've heard from people that use the non-living area as what we would consider a real "shop". All of the fumes find their way into the living area. To counter that, my sister and bil put a breezeway between the living area and shop when they built theirs.

I actually did the big ass camping trailer in a shop 3 years ago, it seemed like a good idea at the time and 2 other guys went in with me to split the rent bringing their own trailers. 1st month was ok by month 6 winter was over and we all thought the idea sucked. Did not repeat that misadventure.:laughing: I lived in the trailer till winter then rented an apartment just to stay out of camp.:laughing:

What made it suck? I really just need a decent place to sleep. Most of the time I sleep in a recliner.

I would put a modular about 50 feet away and sleep in that.

What made it suck? I really just need a decent place to sleep. Most of the time I sleep in a recliner.

Mostly it was because there were three trailers in there and we were all on different sleep schedules. Whenever you wanted shop time someone was in their trailer sleeping. The shop had one shitter and pretty soon it was looking worse than any truck stop shitter I've ever seen so we all start using our trailer shitters, tanks fill up then it's all about figuring out what day we are all gonna go empty tanks. Little things like that added up quick, one young guy had a real piece of shit and he was always working on it, either waking one of us up with noise or banging on the door to borrow a tool or ask a question.

If it was summer time we all could have parked out on the perimeter and it would have been fine however when that time came I moved mine out to the shore of a lake and was way way happier out there.:laughing:

Mostly it was because there were three trailers in there and we were all on different sleep schedules. Whenever you wanted shop time someone was in their trailer sleeping. The shop had one shitter and pretty soon it was looking worse than any truck stop shitter I've ever seen so we all start using our trailer shitters, tanks fill up then it's all about figuring out what day we are all gonna go empty tanks. Little things like that added up quick, one young guy had a real piece of shit and he was always working on it, either waking one of us up with noise or banging on the door to borrow a tool or ask a question.

If it was summer time we all could have parked out on the perimeter and it would have been fine however when that time came I moved mine out to the shore of a lake and was way way happier out there.:laughing:

:laughing: Ok, that makes sense.

.45ACP thinks like I do, oh if I were ever to be single again I would live in the ultimate bachelor pad.

Here's your mission,

You have obtained a 100 x 100 shop 1 16' bay door with 20' ceiling and you can put it wherever you want. How would you outfit it as your pad?

Myself I would build a 40x40 corner mezzanine with 10' ceiling using stairs and a home brew elevator for access sort of an open concept. Full on drywall walls and ceiling smallish kitchen with all appliances and a wet bar in the games room. Bathroom guest would feature a urinal as well as a shitter, master bath would have a shower as well as a separate jetted tub. Big no strike that fucking huge TV that I can see from anywhere and a sound system to match. The outside would be plain old steel the more decrepit looking the better and a wrap around deck for the living area. It would also likely be sitting on 10 acres although I wouldn't be opposed to a huge lot fenced off with chain link and razor wire in an industrial area.

So, what would Irate do?

My elevator would be my forklift, a pallet and a pendant control that I configured.

My elevator would be my forklift, a pallet and a pendant control that I configured.

Forklift masts make great elevators when paired with a hydraulic power unit.

For sealing out fumes, as mentioned before keeping the living space under positive pressure will be best.

I'd do it in block, anytime I've seen a shop office the drywall is all beat up, holes, and dirty. This way you can't throw a wrench into your house. Sure you can sheet it with something else, but it looks hack.

I would never want to live in my shop.

Just doesnt seem like a good idea at all to me.

My buddy his life goal is to live in a "barnamiunum" which is pretty much what you guys are describing.

I would always prefer a small separate house next to the large shop.

It's going to be a loft in the city where there are bars and restaurants in a walking / staggering distance.

I want a place a female wouldn't be scared to come back to, not some rape shack in the back of an industrial shop.

It's going to be a loft in the city where there are bars and restaurants in a walking / staggering distance.

I want a place a female wouldn't be scared to come back to, not some rape shack in the back of an industrial shop.

There's probably some truth to this, but a bitchin car and a fun ride would mitigate that:smokin:

I'd build a tiny house next to a 2000 sq/ft shop. Bitches love tiny houses

Ok, 100x100 and one building is the rule... I can dig that... but one big door is a no go. I like being outside even when I'm in the shop. I need doors everywhere.

No levels, no stairs. Fuck stairs... if I'm building something like this I'm (hopefully) gonna die of old age there.

House portion in a back corner, 40x50. If I'm a bachelor, I'm gonna have kids at least every other weekend. 3 small bedrooms, 2 small bath, open living/ kitchen/ dining will feel big @ 2000ft2. Living area on back wall facing north or east, with a huge back porch overlooking woods or a pond, monster window wall down 1 side of living area looking through to porch. No direct sun in the evening. 12ft ceilings through the house, leaving a 7-ish foot attic over the whole thing.

Shop will be a huge 20ft ceiling "L". 60x100 down the side, 40x50 in front of house portion. Messy fab work area at top peak of L,parking area in front of house at bottom tip of L. 2 big 10ft roll up doors, and bunches of plain old 8x18 garage doors. Lift obviously. Big row of windows down the north side but up high, like 10-12 feet up. Natural light, but out of the sun and not opening. HVAC out the ass with a big woodburning stove. 6 or 8 pairs of nice old Craigslist tower speakers spread throughout, hidden amp rack, home made hidden quad 18" sub. Because I want to share Pantera with my side of town at 1am.

Small cabin outside.

The shop is for cutting, grinding, welding, the cabin is for getting away from that stuff.

It's really not that much of an issue: the "Barndominium" is becoming pretty much a staple in TX now as people start to get older and try to bail out of the cities, move to some small "ranch" and build them.. As long as there's a legit amount of ventilation at all, it's not like it just sucks it in. Put some tyvek housewrap on it somewhere, run standard HVAC stuff with any outside air vents actually OUTSIDE, and it's not a problem.

It's really not that much of an issue: the "Barndominium" is becoming pretty much a staple in TX now as people start to get older and try to bail out of the cities, move to some small "ranch" and build them.. As long as there's a legit amount of ventilation at all, it's not like it just sucks it in. Put some tyvek housewrap on it somewhere, run standard HVAC stuff with any outside air vents actually OUTSIDE, and it's not a problem.

Yea, a friend of mine has a smaller one, looks 30x60 with the house portion 2 story. He builds atv's and has spilled gas, used open pan gear oil, etc weekly and smell in the house side is never an issue. Divider wall is plain old 2x6, R-panel on the shop side with tyvek, fiberglass batting, then drywall on house side.

I did stinky nasty shit in my house garage for years and fumes/ smells in the house was never a problem. :confused:

And these are people who don't treat their shop like a shop, they have a 2014 F150 and a bass boat or a bay boat parked inside and if they own a welder at all may use it once a year and they drag it into the driveway to do that.

TO do it right, you need firewalls separating the shop form the apartment, good egress without going through the shop, decent ventilation, etc.

I don't like an attached garage, personally, so I don't get the draw. I mean it seems cool for like a minute, then reason and logic take over.

I almost burned my house down multiple times and it all started in the garage.
One was a welder sitting on a fab table, and the float stuck on the carburetor, flooding the garage with fuel vapor after I went to bed (I firmly believe the fact that I raised my gas water heater up , like 24" off the ground when I moved into that house saved my life) one was a dog knocking over a heat lamp, one was a lawn mower fire (it seemed like there was another one, but I don't remember).

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh