What's new

Spin-off: How safe is Baja Mexico?

Get insurance at the border and drive south I drove down dozens of times is been 20 years but I wouldn’t hesitate hell I just rented a car to drive in the Dominican Republic 😂 on my honeymoon

I’m always following his IG he’s down there often

A little off topic, but how is the availability of diesel down there?

Not great in the small towns, I've had to buy fuel out of a 55gallon drum when in the middle of nowhere. Diesel is hit or miss once you leave the big cities.

Not great in the small towns, I've had to buy fuel out of a 55gallon drum when in the middle of nowhere. Diesel is hit or miss once you leave the big cities.
I am thinking of taking an empty fuel can, filling it in tecate so I have in case I need it. Can always top the truck off with it before I cross back over.

I am thinking of taking an empty fuel can, filling it in tecate so I have in case I need it. Can always top the truck off with it before I cross back over.

A full fuel can is always a must if your going to Baja. Also bring a 5 gallon water jug minimum. You can hit the purification spots for a refill for 50 cents.

Another note on crossing the border, is that you can't have any fuel cans partially or fully filled. They have to be empty, don't give them a reason to mess with you.

Lots of great ideas and info here.

#1) Since you're a shooter make sure there is NO stray ammo, NO loose brass and no gun stuff (magazines) in your vehicle. Check once and then check again you do NOT want to have them find anything gun related in your vehicle.

#2) Get Mexican insurance at the border

#3) Don't do anything stupid and HAVE FUN!!!

How safe is mexico was the question: my answer not as safe as any US state as you can usually Carry in the US states, if you carry and get caught down there its prison time yeah ?

The Mexican locals most likely pay off the man or at least have more info on where they can get away with carrying and where they cant, youse as a foreigner most likely dont have this insight.

1toj17.jpg

Last edited:
We had a run in with police that was solved with cash, we had a high speed chase ending with a gun in our face. Both times we were not with our group. I want to go back, and would.

How is it post Covid down there?

A full fuel can is always a must if your going to Baja. Also bring a 5 gallon water jug minimum. You can hit the purification spots for a refill for 50 cents.
Since we will only be there 3 days, going to throw in a couple cases of bottled water. Thought about a 5 gal jug also, just in case.

Lots of great ideas and info here.

#1) Since you're a shooter make sure there is NO stray ammo, NO loose brass and no gun stuff (magazines) in your vehicle. Check once and then check again you do NOT want to have them find anything gun related in your vehicle.

#2) Get Mexican insurance at the border

#3) Don't do anything stupid and HAVE FUN!!!
I just installed my new radio under the seat, which required moving my amp to the other seat, so the front half of the interior is ammo free.
Going to pull the rar seat and make sure everything is removed. Will be stopping at the border for insurance and FMM card.

We had a run in with police that was solved with cash, we had a high speed chase ending with a gun in our face. Both times we were not with our group. I want to go back, and would.
One of my co-workers is from central Mx. Asked him the other day how the bribe system works. That is never anything I would have considered in my locale. Apparently it is a common practice.

Don't pay the bribe, also you can purchase the insurance online before you go. Baja only insurance is cheaper than mainland Mexico insurance also.

Since we will only be there 3 days, going to throw in a couple cases of bottled water. Thought about a 5 gal jug also, just in case.

I just installed my new radio under the seat, which required moving my amp to the other seat, so the front half of the interior is ammo free.
Going to pull the rar seat and make sure everything is removed. Will be stopping at the border for insurance and FMM card.

One of my co-workers is from central Mx. Asked him the other day how the bribe system works. That is never anything I would have considered in my locale. Apparently it is a common practice.
The bribe situation is 100% a negotiation. Keep $5 or $10 in your wallet and the rest of your cash in your pocket or somewhere else. They will start at some crazy number and you can start at 5. Most ive ever payed was $20 because I was actually in a hurry.

At one point I was detained with 2 other pbb members and I think they started with $800 each and left with $13 total. They dont actually want to arrest you they want cash.

They definitely do not want to arrest you. Or give you a ticket. It makes paperwork and they are lazy. Much easier to try to bribe someone than do actual work.

Do not pay bribes. Play the dumb gringo that doesn't speak Spanish. Take thier picture, they love that. If your a big enough pain in the ass, they will move on.

That being said, the new highway patrol guys do not fuck around. They do not take bribes. They are all college educated kids from the mainland and speak perfect English. If you get caught be them doing something stupid they will take your license and have you follow them to the court house. Pay the fine, traffic fines are dirt cheap there.

I have paid twice in 38 years. Once I totally deserved it, the other time was straight up robbery. It could have been avoided if I was a little more prepared, but I got lazy and it cost me.

The only issue I ever had was at a military check point. You have to watch the dude like a hawk that is searching your vehicle. I was watching dude check my backpack then exited the 4runner. He then gave his buddy some kind of signal to divert my attention. I turn away and dude goes straight back to my backpack and grabs my 1500 pesos aka 75 bucks.

Didn't realize it till after 10 minutes down the road. I hid money all over my ride to avoid a situation like this but feel it was a cheap lesson learned. Only issue I ever encountered the whole time down there.

The only issue I ever had was at a military check point. You have to watch the dude like a hawk that is searching your vehicle. I was watching dude check my backpack then exited the 4runner. He then gave his buddy some kind of signal to divert my attention. I turn away and dude goes straight back to my backpack and grabs my 1500 pesos aka 75 bucks.

Didn't realize it till after 10 minutes down the road. I hid money all over my ride to avoid a situation like this but feel it was a cheap lesson learned. Only issue I ever encountered the whole time down there.

The military checkpoints have always been a posative experience for me. Usually respectfull kids just trying to pass the time. They can be intimidating though.

The military checkpoints have always been a posative experience for me. Usually respectfull kids just trying to pass the time. They can be intimidating though.
ya bunch of 17 year old with full autos lol

All good information. Thanks for sharing your personal experiences.

The bribe situation is 100% a negotiation. Keep $5 or $10 in your wallet and the rest of your cash in your pocket or somewhere else. They will start at some crazy number and you can start at 5. Most ive ever payed was $20 because I was actually in a hurry.

This is what I was told as well.

. I hid money all over my ride to avoid a situation like this but feel it was a cheap lesson learned. Only issue I ever encountered the whole time down there.
Considered this as well. Stash some cash in the rig, carry some on me. And carry a cheap wallet with some cash in it.

Pro tip for military check points. Have some cold bottled water handy. Old nudie mags are like gold to them. Don't offer them to them, just leave them our and if they ask for 1 say sure. They are not supposed to take stuff as it might be considered a bribe, but little things like that will get you through quicker.

Also keep an eye on your flashlights, they love those.

If you have weed, keep your smoking utensil and stash on your person. They will not search you, only the car. If you scored an 8 ball of blow, same deal.

Other proverbs, don't order the fish unless you can see the ocean. Roadside taco stands with a lot of fat truckers in them are better than places with a bunch of skinny gringos in them.

No matter how good they look do not pick up a hooker from the other side of the street from club Paris de noche. They are trannys.

ya bunch of 17 year old with full autos lol
I distinctly remember my first trip to San Felipe, we got a late start out of Ventura so didn't get south of the border till early evening, coming up on burning coffee cans in the middle of the desert and stopping for a couple of kids with machine guns was quite the life experience

How safe is mexico was the question: my answer not as safe as any US state as you can usually Carry in the US states, if you carry and get caught down there its prison time yeah ?

The Mexican locals most likely pay off the man or at least have more info on where they can get away with carrying and where they cant, youse as a foreigner most likely dont have this insight.

1toj17.jpg
Have you ever been or spent significant amounts of time there?

Last edited:
Will be leaving the tow rig and crawler at Sand Hollow on the way down since we have Trail Hero the following week.

I have plenty of space 6 miles from SH if you need a place to store while you're gone

I was always riding with cold beer and sodas for the adults/ kids when I was down there. A little generosity and being humble will take you a long way.

Top Back Refresh