What's new

Spin-off: How safe is Baja Mexico?

maveric

Squirrel Spotter
Member Number
Loc
NW Colorado
I have never been across the southern border. My son is graduating this year, so I am planning to take him to the Norra Baja 500 in September.
Feel kinda vulnerable not being able to carry, and being out of my element. I feel I am pretty up on my situational awareness, and will be with other people during the race. Only going to be in Ensenada for 3 days. Looking for input from those that have been before, and what we need to expect / look out for.
Are we gonna die?

You'll be fine. Especially Norra.

Have fun.

img_4745-jpg.424893

You’ll be fine. Don’t stay out late, stay with the group etc. Plan to not stop in TJ. Eat tacos, drink beer, consider moving :laughing:

Plan is to cross at Tecate, then straight to Ensenada. Hoping not to stop in between either way.
Eat tacos, drink beer, consider moving :laughing:
That is part of the plan. Son is stoked that the legal drinking age is 18... but since he doesn't drink (that I am aware of) the hangover may be epic. Either way, hopefully its a trip he always remembers.

Don't take the Toyota's, I think about stealing the retro painted one here in the States. Not sure how well you know Rod and Rog from the batch plant or PJ from the pawn shop but they've spent a lot of time in Baja you could ask them.

Cross in the morning, make sure your maps are up to date and you know where you are going. The new beach road turn off in TJ does not show up on all maps.

Dress like you don't have any money. Do not keep large amounts of cash in your wallet.

You don't need the turista card if your not going south of Guerrero neuro. Just drive past those offices.

Get pesos, or have a calculator on hand. If you don't know the exchange rate you may get hosed on the change. At the last US exit in San yesidro, there are money changing places with decent rates.

Not all gas stations take cards yet so you will need cash for that.

Don't get more than about 6 blocks east of the harbor in ensanada unless you know exactly where your going.

Don't leave bags or shit visible in your truck. Leave your truck in the hotel parking lot with security and walk around town.

If you need a list a taco stands, restaurants or strip clubs/whore houses, let me know.

Like anywhere, be aware of your surroundings, bad stuff happens to stupid people.

Between surfing trips and Baja race trips, I've probably been there 30 times, and never had any trouble, in fact had some pretty awesome experiences with the locals, went up to some guys standing around a burning tire and asked where we could buy more beer (it was after 9pm), dude opened up his store and sold me two cases, one for his guys and one for mine, and we stood around and drank beer and watched for stragglers coming in on a 1000. Had fishermen give us a bag of crab claws for helping them pull their boats up on shore ahead of high tide. Had a dude in a super clapped out Chevy give us a gallon of water for our overheated car. Had a guy take us to his brothers house in La Paz for a fiesta after we pulled his dumb ass out of a flooded Vado.

All that being said there have been carjackings of racers returning after the race, although I feel like it's generally safer during race week.

Plan is to cross at Tecate, then straight to Ensenada. Hoping not to stop in between either way.

That is part of the plan. Son is stoked that the legal drinking age is 18... but since he doesn't drink (that I am aware of) the hangover may be epic. Either way, hopefully its a trip he always remembers.

It’s not so much a hangover at that age, as that you get obliterated off 2 beers.

Stop in to Hussong’s Cantina in Ensenada. It's been there almost for ever, established in 1892.
There's also a fresh seafood market right on the water. Stuff is fresh right off the boats, and uber cheap.

Don't take the Toyota's, I think about stealing the retro painted one here in the States. Not sure how well you know Rod and Rog from the batch plant or PJ from the pawn shop but they've spent a lot of time in Baja you could ask them.
I havent seen them around for a while. Might have to track them down.
The plan is to take my Taco. It's the only thing I own that will make the trip there and back (hopefully). Will be leaving the tow rig and crawler at Sand Hollow on the way down since we have Trail Hero the following week.

Cross in the morning, make sure your maps are up to date and you know where you are going. The new beach road turn off in TJ does not show up on all maps.

Dress like you don't have any money. Do not keep large amounts of cash in your wallet.

You don't need the turista card if your not going south of Guerrero neuro. Just drive past those offices.

Get pesos, or have a calculator on hand. If you don't know the exchange rate you may get hosed on the change. At the last US exit in San yesidro, there are money changing places with decent rates.

Not all gas stations take cards yet so you will need cash for that.

Don't get more than about 6 blocks east of the harbor in ensanada unless you know exactly where your going.

Don't leave bags or shit visible in your truck. Leave your truck in the hotel parking lot with security and walk around town.

If you need a list a taco stands, restaurants or strip clubs/whore houses, let me know.

Like anywhere, be aware of your surroundings, bad stuff happens to stupid people.
Super helpful. I will be sending you a PM. Thank you

Dude it's insano cheap, not my thing but it was offered everywhere along with non stop powder... PM me if you want to know a thing or two

Last edited:
Best way to navigate for me was using maps.me with the overlander app. Maps.me is gps that works while in airplane mode and no signal

I would never enter that country again for any reason. The cartel is entwined in every aspect of the entire country. Every fucking person in that country is corrupt. About the time they started punting heads back across the border is when I realized I wasn't going back. I mean why sell yourself short, schedule a vacation to Myanmar or Ukraine. I am hearing is is very sporty in both places and you never know, you might even get a chance kill a couple shitheads and not get a prison sentence.

Reactions: PAE
Havnt been in 10+ years but I would take my wife and kids to ensanada or san Felipe without much thought. Travel durring the day and stay in the obvious tourist trap section at night.

I havnt seen a place in baja that seems more dangerous then any mlk bulivard in the states.

What's the going rate down there these days? Asking for a friend.:laughing:
Depends, race weekends the prices double. But they also pull in chicks from all over Mexico so the quality and selection is much better.

Off weekend, 40-60
Race weekend 150-200

Next time I think I will try the internet and order one to the hotel.

Paris de noche is now a rip off, wouldn't go back there.

Top Back Refresh