What's new

Speedway tubing bender

Andrew

Resident Redneck
Member Number
My work supervisor was helping clear scrap metal and the guy he was helping told him to scrap a "pipe bender".

My supervisor threw it into his truck.

He asked me today if anyone was looking for a pipe bender, I told him I would take a look at what he had. I offered $50, as I wasnt sure what brand, or model it even was, as there are no markings or logos on it. He wanted $100, so we met at $75 and done.

The 1 3/4" follower was still in a bag with a part number, which I googled when I got home.

So, its a Speedway model 3. The main frame is there and complete, as is the 1 3/4" die and follower. It has the 1 1/4" and 1 1/2" dies, but no followers. I called Speedway, and the two Click image for larger version  Name:	20200810_184129.jpg Views:	0 Size:	195.3 KB ID:	98398 missing followers are $40 a piece.

I have used a JD Squared before, but not this style bender.

Any good/bad with it? Sounds like its only rated to .110 wall according to their webpage (does that exist????) So unsure of .120 would work, or if I am stuck with .095 wall stuff.

Thanks guys.

.110 comes out to about 7/64. I would think it would do .120 also. Try it with the die you have and see if it’s worth it. Those are cheap because Using a bottle jack Takes forever. Are the dies cast aluminum? the cheap ones I’ve seen are.

Yes, they seem to be cast aluminum.

We tried a similar one from Affordable Bender, same design but Speedway looks like a little better quality. It worked... but it was terrifying. We tried 1.75 .090 wall and felt like it was going to pop apart at any minute I agree you get what you pay for, and I am overly cautious in some scenarios but we ended up selling it. Looking at the Roguefab DIY kit instead. If you have a small project and are brave it might still be worth it.
IMG_0499.JPG

IMG_0499.JPG

The only project I was considering is finishing the factory cage (front cage tie in, and some rear tubes) on my YJ factory family cage.

Top Back Refresh