What's new

Speed Queen of refrigerators?

ScottRS

Not @Rockstomper today
Member Number
Loc
Firestone, CO
Title pretty much says it, my fridge is giving issues, is older than my kids (teenagers) and it's probably about that time.

Is there a Speed Queen equivalent of residential fridges? No frills, just built like a tank and works forever? We've never had an ice dispenser or water spigot in the fridge, in freezer icemaker is the extent of our fanciness.

I bought this brand for work. Had two repairs under warranty so I would not really call it the speed Queen of refrigeration.

I think the guy at the appliance store where I got the speed queen said wolf was the speed queen of everything else except dishwashers

I know of two sub zeros that are 30 years old and have had zero issue. They are nice but the counter depth can be a issue depending on your containers. We will be getting a brand used one when I redo our kitchen.

i'm on the lookout for something old and commercial for the outside/ shop freeze/ fridge.

The irrational woman loves her speed queen washer and drier (neither me nor her thought they would clean soooo much gooder). but the other interior appliances i'm not gonna get my way.

let us now what you what you settle on. i'm not picking that battle with the keeper of the home

i'm on the lookout for something old and commercial for the outside/ shop freeze/ fridge.

The irrational woman loves her speed queen washer and drier (neither me nor her thought they would clean soooo much gooder). but the other interior appliances i'm not gonna get my way.

let us now what you what you settle on. i'm not picking that battle with the keeper of the home
This is a wise man right here.

I bought a Whirlpool side by side with water and ice on the door before Mrs came into my life. I have replaced 3 ice makers, and a ice bin (hopper?) so far. Mrs has been putting up with me for almost 25 years, I think I’ll keep both around for a bit longer :grinpimp:

just thought of more to add. probably wont make things any easier, but-

my little bro bought a place with the home models of the viking brand. gas range and fridge freeezer. he hates them! he's keepingthe range since he's put enough time into it to know the quirks and bypass the bs. but the cooling device has been replaced.

he bought his place from a contractor i used to work for, he's said since that house, never buy the commercial name for a residential appliance. kinda ike we all know the 'snap on' crap at costco isn't really snapon. buy for the use not the name.

I just want filtered water WITH A DIFFERENT GODDAMNED BUTTON THAN ICE!!! I hate ice unless I'm getting drunk. :laughing:
What? Are you saying you don't like stepping in ice and water spattered all over your kitchen floor in your stocking feet?

Something to watch out for, the real old commercial bad ass units aren't what you'd consider energy star rated. Especially in an outdoor environment. The new ones that are, don't work like the old school bad ass ones. Definitely get one that has typical fridge doors, as opposed to the ones with sliding doors, the sliders never seal quite right. Regardless, the difference to your electric bill will be noticeable.

We had a built-in (Sub-Zero clone) Kitchen Aid that lasted well over 30 years. Top compressor, R12 system, in-door ice and water dispenser.

Just required maintenance. Water solenoid valve x2, ice dispenser x1, primary door hinge bushings x1, defrost time x1, cracks in ice drawer repaired with sheet aluminum and pop rivets. One top-off along the way. I did it all except the top-off (which was like 25 years ago).

We recently replaced it with their current model. Impressed with build quality and features so far. But we waited almost 2 years for it due to COVID/supply chain and it cost more than Jimmy number's roll cab. Hope it lasts as well as the old one.

Top Back Refresh