What's new

Spark plug gap tool / feeler gauge tools

Poriggity

Ketchup Dog
Member Number
Loc
Bates City, Mo
School me on spark plug gap tools/feeler gauges. Are there any tools that are better than others? Does it really matter? Everything I'm reading says using the cheap parts store spark plug gapping coins is a bad idea.. give me your thoughts!

long as all of them are the same it don't really matter within reason
one being different than the rest changes the ignition timing slightly on that cylinder because it shortens the dwell by some ridicu-stupid small amount

lots of cars I see coming in seemingly don't give a fuck about the .100 or more gap from erosion, toss new ones in and they're at something like .030-.040 and it runs exactly the same
I usually just hold them all up next to eachother and make sure they look the same before tossing them in, most guys don't even do that. Only get paid .5 after all.

you will run into too much gap killing coils because the spark voltage gets too high, even if it doesn't have a misfire

I just use the cheap parts store gapping coins. They have worked for me and if nothing else will show you if the plugs are consistent.

I very, very rarely fuck with plug gap because nothing I work on makes enough power to be particularly sensitive to it. I make sure there is a gap, and put em in the engine. Most people do more harm than good, especially on fine wire (platinum/iridium) plugs trying to adjust the gap. If you jam your parts store coin in there and start prying it's easy to fuck them up, copper plugs are pretty tolerant though.

I use one of these, mine says snap-on on it but it's the same tool. The little hole in the end has a spot to hook the electrode and open the gap if you need to. If you want to be really precise you could use feeler gauges.

https://www.amazon.com/Hand-Tools-4...ocphy=9033250&hvtargid=pla-436595240063&psc=1

I agree with "just eyeball them" being the proper level of care for this job. Gapping your plugs some precise amount is what you do when you're running some insane tune and everything needs to be perfect if you want the engine to not blow up until after it goes 1/4mi.

[486 said:
;n318403]

lots of cars I see coming in seemingly don't give a fuck about the .100 or more gap from erosion, toss new ones in and they're at something like .030-.040 and it runs exactly the same
I usually just hold them all up next to eachother and make sure they look the same before tossing them in, most guys don't even do that. Only get paid .5 after all.

They don't care because they're warm by the time they get to you. When it's three degrees out and you try and start it with a questionable battery the difference between .030 and .130 matters.

I use these
Screenshot_20210222-060149_Chrome.jpg
unless I don't have one I just eyeball it.

Top Back Refresh