What's new

South TX Frijoles

Aggie06

I ain't the one to blame.
Member Number
Loc
Balls Deep South Texas
Posted this in GCC a few weeks back, but decided to add it here. I made these while deer hunting last week using a cab cooker, and they turned out excellent. I’ve also tried these in a instant pot, but you need to cut down the cooking time. First time I did it, there was no liquid left, but I didn’t make some kick ass refried beans out of them.

This is just a rough recipe. My times are estimates as you can vary the temperature to cook faster or slower. I also like to cook the vegetables some. I’ve seen recipes that you add them in raw later in the process. I just prefer them this way.

1 lb pinto beans - sorted, rinsed, and soaked. You can do dry also, but it takes longer to cook. I like the soak them until tender.
1 dark beer (I use shiner, sometimes lone star, but anything works)
5-6 cloves garlic diced
2 serrano peppers diced (seeded if you want it less spicy)
1 jalapeño diced (seeded if you want it less spicy)
1 onion diced
1 lb bacon (mesquite smoked, don’t use sweet bacon. You can also use ham chunks).
1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes (or equivalent fresh diced)
1 bunch cilantro diced
pinto bean seasoning

1. Sort and rinse beans, and soak until tender. You can do them dry and cook longer also.
2. Cube the bacon and cook in the pot you will do the beans in. I don’t fully cook it. Just par cook it to get some of the fat out. Remove from the pan and place on paper towel lined plate to drain.
3. Par cook the onion, garlic, and peppers in the bacon fat.
4. Add beans, beer, and drained can of tomatoes to the onion, garlic, and peppers.
5. Add water to cover beans (prob. 3 qts)
6. Cook on low heat (simmer) for a couple of hours.
7. Add diced cilantro and seasoning, and cook for another hour or so until the beans are tender, and liquid has thickened a little. You may have to add liquid during the cooking process.

I did try this recipe and really liked the flavor, but the skin of the beans turned out pretty stiff and chewy (though the beans themselves were tender). I'm not sure where I went wrong, any advice?

I did try this recipe and really liked the flavor, but the skin of the beans turned out pretty stiff and chewy (though the beans themselves were tender). I'm not sure where I went wrong, any advice?

Did you use pinto beans, and how long did you soak/cook them?

Top Back Refresh