What's new

Solid Axle GMT400's

I know this thread is a couple of years old…

Loften, did you finish you 98 Tahoe? How do you like those slider boxes?

FIFU shorty.

Took these pics today. It was huge from my perspective.

photo384.jpg

photo385.jpg

How have I not found this thread?
1998 k1500. 5.7/4l60e/241c. D60/14b. 4.88s 40s. Mechanical Lockers. 47” ORD leafs up front. Truck works really well. But the truck is tall and the front suspension could be improved. Thinking going 4” 52s for more travel and to lower the truck. Open to inputs.
DMANbluesfreak

Attachments

• CC22C06E-6E33-4831-AA97-21C2858AE784.jpeg
    CC22C06E-6E33-4831-AA97-21C2858AE784.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 70
  • 9BA49814-B9B6-480A-8380-5C6C27560E8F.jpeg
    9BA49814-B9B6-480A-8380-5C6C27560E8F.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 69
Last edited:
How have I not found this thread?
1998 k1500. 5.7/4l60e/231. D60/14b. 4.88s 40s. Mechanical Lockers. 47” ORD leafs up front. Truck works really well. But the truck is tall and the front suspension could be improved. Thinking going 4” 52s for more travel and to lower the truck. Open to inputs.
DMANbluesfreak
Is it your daily or often street driven? 52's can be washy on the road. Especially without a sway bar. I have a square body but the change from 47s to 52s was very noticeable when it came to driving dynamics. The travel gained was worth it.

Former daily. Trailer queen now. Mostly driven from trailer to trailhead. Figured at this point for me, giving up some road manners for better trail capability is worth it

Former daily. Trailer queen now. Mostly driven from trailer to trailhead. Figured at this point for me, giving up some road manners for better trail capability is worth it
Then 52s could be a worthwhile move. I get 13"+ out of my 52s up front. Bastard pack I built when I swapped to 56's.

How are leaf springs generally measured?

IE- from eye to eye or from eye to eye following the curvature ( arch ) of the spring ?

The only problem I have with moving to 52s is clearance issues. Body mounts and frame rails mainly. WFO has some JK frame clearance inserts that might work to solve one issue and I’ll hit them up when it’s time. I feel like tire clearance is the major limiting factor when swapping these trucks

The only problem I have with moving to 52s is clearance issues. Body mounts and frame rails mainly. WFO has some JK frame clearance inserts that might work to solve one issue and I’ll hit them up when it’s time. I feel like tire clearance is the major limiting factor when swapping these trucks

If I was building a gmt400/800 truck on leafs, I would just go to a slider box instead of a shackle with 52s. You can pretty much place a slider anywhere and its lower then a shackle. It's too easy to make those trucks stupid tall. Tire clearance can be remedied by shifting the axle forward when you do the swap and some trimming. For reference, a stock 52 on a squarebody gives 5" of lift. That might be from the length and mounting points but, there is also more arch in a rear pack compared to a front. Something to consider if you dont want to be even taller.

Since you'll have to move your hangers and you may want to push the axle forward, youre in the realm of links being an easier/better option. All the work for 52's might outweigh the benefits on your dedicated trail rig. Squares are already leaf so, a 52 swap wasnt much cost or effort for me. I'd probably go that route in your situation. Run the 47s until you can swing the links.

^^ That’s a dope one!

Wasn’t there a build thread for it at the other place?

Top Back Refresh